1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What do you drive? - The Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 28 Jul 2003.

1. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

2. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

lol, and I would be sorely tempted to release some fake Ferrari whoop ass at the traffic lights... I am sure you can get the 406 with a V6 :p

Seriously though, tasteless as it may seem, you cant deny it would be fun...

3. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

you do know that everyone in a real ferrari looks like a prat too, right?:lol:

unless its a proper classic like a 250GT then they look like discerning gentlemen:thumb:

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

They look a bit of a prat, but at least they're driving a real one, and anyone who really knows their cars will generally look and think "that person has good taste", rather than "that's a fake ferrari, that's bloody stupid"

You can get a V6, but I'd be very surprised if you could get it to sound like a Ferrari V8 without a lot of effort, and it'd need the balls tuning off it to get up from 207hp to 400hp...

5. NiHiLiST

If you want attention driving a car then you could get a Caterham or similar for less money and it would be much more fun to drive. Plus, no fat chicks as they won't fit in ;)

6. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

It would be cool to have a Ferrari kit car like that, no doubt.

But yeah, if i was gonna spend that much cash on a car i'd get something real, and a recent model with heaps of features, like a honda or toyota or bmw or merc or audi, etc, something hq that looks nice.

7. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Or you can get an RX8 :D

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Nah, far too common over here for a "look at me!" car.

9. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

My little brother had a Ferrari Dino in the late 60s or early 70s. Not a Ferrari badge on it anywhere. It seems that a falling out between Enzo and Dino resulted in a rule that Ferrari badges only went on V8 and above - no 6s. Couldn't even join the Ferrari owner's club with a Dino. It should be noted that in the US you could get the same V6 in a Fiat 124 Sport Spider with a lot of looking and some big $.
    Mine was called Rojocita - Little Red. in honor of the red cam covers. My 124 also had a Pininfarina branded hard top. Real leather.
    My lady/wife Marilyn used to dye her hair that red color.

Damn I'm old.

John

10. DarkLord7854

There's very few of them here actually, that and when people ask you about the car's engine and you tell them it's a rotary with no pistons, they generally say "so, is it a v6 or v8 man?" :wallbash:

11. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

A little off topic, but did they ever make an updated version of the S7? I would really like to get one of the originals.

John

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

really ? There are lots of RX8's here, and I mean lots of them. I see one about 2-3 times a week, which, in my book, is a lot for a sports car

13. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Respect. One of my favourite cars of all time. That's saying quite a lot from a Japanese-inclined enthusiast with relatively strict quotas.

And who can forget its presence in Ronin?:lol: It's turned out to be a more legendary movie car than the Aston.

14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

15. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I agree, Canada has the absolute worst paved roads I've ever driven--where do our transport and motoring taxes go???

Shops specializing in mounting rubber onto wheels can spin the wheel on a mount with a laser to verify true roundness. Not all shops have such sophisticated equipment, but anything to spin a bolted wheel at speed without tires will do fine. Spinning at that speed, the equipment will vibrate violently if it's causing vibration through a whole car. I don't know much about the durability of Motegi-brand wheels (either a new name or American/European), but it would take quite a lot to warp the lip on one of these due to several reasons:

-your car's weight is relatively mild at around, I'm guessing, 1390kg
    -with its weight in mind, your large 17" wheels can absorb shock without problems
    -you'd need to be driving quite fast into a deep trough to smash the wheel because true sport wheels must withstand hammering bumps and tall kerbs on the circuit at pace--again, depending on its forging process quality

Bear in mind steering chatter can be caused by warped brake rotors, seized calipers, loose wheel/wheel nuts, non-parallel tire tread, or typical toe misalignment. Tire damage (especially for low-profile tires) would need to be more severe than wear to cause feedback through the wheel.

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

thanks, that's great information right there.

17. DarkLord7854

Good thing I'm in FL :p

18. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I agree with everything you said Amon, but i might add that i have driven cars that had a ~medium profile, some were 60, some 65, that had noticeable shaking in the steering wheel and noticeable car body vibration at ~80km/h from worn tires. With new tyres fitted & balanced & nothing else done, the car & wheel were smooth & steady.

These cars were driven hard and the tyres were worn unevenly from the harsh treatment, but you couldn't notice the uneveness from a distance, you had to examine the tread from within ~1/2 meter.

19. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

The coupe was not in Ronin.

This is the Peugeot that you're thinking of.

20. NiHiLiST

They have zero head-turning factor compared to a Caterham :) Plus like Krikkit said, you see them day-in day-out over here. Depending on where you are, cars like Ferraris and Porsche Turbos aren't that uncommon either. I probably see one a week in Manchester and it's not like I'm hanging around the posh hotels.