1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware HIS Radeon HD 4850 IceQ 4 TurboX 512MB

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Oct 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

sorry if i missed it but how did the cooler perform on load? was it cool and quiet? i had a 3850 die on me due to poor cooling

3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I really do like the HIS IceQ coolers. If I were to go ATI tomorrow this would be the card I would get.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's really really quiet. For a change I'm not being deafened from the other side of the room while Tim and Baz test stuff, which was nice.

5. naokaji

naokaji whatever

4850 + proper cooling = win, but the price is a bit high considering the non reference Gainward and Powercolor cards are 20£ less.
    Anyway, just imagine two of them in a dfi lanparty jr coupled with a q9550 and 8GB Ram...

Last edited: 3 Oct 2008
  6. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

How far from 4870/gtx260 pace was the card with your extra overclock?

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

it basically matched the 4870 in all but the most bandwidth-intensive scenarios (i.e. high res w/ AA)

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've added a piece on the temperatures that I somehow managed to leave out :blush:

9. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I wonder why His did not go for a IceQ 4870 1GB edition. the 4850 is nice but concerning, that a graphics card must at least perform for the next two years, my choice would be the 4870 1GB version. But if I want to save some more money on the energy bills, for less idle power consumption the GTX260. since this pc is running almost 24/7.

For me it is very hard to choose the right card

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

We'll have a review of a reference 4870 1GB very early next week :)

11. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I've got a Powercolor 4870 PCE+ and I think its great, quiet but not silent and plays my games very well. I even tried touching the heat pipes after the pc had been on for over twelve hours (most of it playing HL2 Ep2, F.E.A.R. & CoD4) and whilst hot, I didn't burn myself.
    I'll need to buy Crysis and see how that does.

12. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Looks a lot like the akasa vortex I just bought for my 8800GT, which at stock was either super heating my case or deafening when the fan was turned up to a level that could actually cool the gpu.

Seems to me that a card that operates at nearly 90 C under load in a well ventilated case is not a safe product to add to your pc and should not be sold as such. If all cards were say £5-10 more expensive at stock and were produced with decent cooling I'd certainly be much happier, as it is I've learnt my lesson and will be opting for something like this in the future.

The akasa btw is an excellent cooler and well worth the money, dropped my temps something like 15-30 C and brought down temps in my case by a fair amount.

13. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Great review!

I'd still love to see one of the Force3D Black Edition HD4xxx cards tested. They're using Arctic Cooling's latest VGA cooling solution.

HIS' IceQ cooler is based straight off the original Arctic Cooling Silencer coolers, although the cooler design has been modified to keep up with the times (heatpipes etc).

Also, the Sapphire 4870 Toxic sounds very interesting with their latest revision of the Vapor-X cooler.

14. Stamp

Stamp What's a Dremel?

Can you guys help someone "new" to the high-end graphics card game?

I'd like to get this card, and I'd like to use a very high end monitor on the other end... I see from HIS's website that none of the cards I'm looking for seem to be intended for VGA or DVI... but the monitor I'm looking at is: NEC MultiSync 2690WUXi 25.5" Widescreen
    It has:
    1 analog input (VGA)
    2 digital inputs (DVI-I and DVI-D)

Since the HIS card has two DVI ports on the back end, why would HIS indicate no DVI support on their website? What am I missing? Have I had too much coffee here?

Will someone please calibrate my brain-pan on this? Thanks - Stamp

Tags: Add Tags