1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Molyneux: PC gaming is 'in tatters'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Oct 2008.

1. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Hehe, these "DRM in games" topics crack me up.

Bottom line is, DRM doesn't do what its supposed to.
    It DOES have serious side-effects like annoying paying customers and people who don't want to knowingly install rootkits etc on their systems.

Its the metaphorical equivalent of using chaemotherapy to try to cure a headache.
    ie, Does more harm than good!

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It might've been there the whole time, but thanks to the proliferation of Bit-torrent, and how easy it has become to pirate a game, I'm sure it's a rising problem.

Let's put it this way, if I went over my profit and loss accounts, the PS3 and 360 will look better than the PC, simply because it's harder to pirate games for them, and most people won't bother. How many people do you know who'd have no issues with pirating a PC game?

I can think of a whole bunch of people, and that's the bottom line tbh, people are prepared to pirate PC games because they don't think it makes a difference.

When you look at the number of PC releases lately, it's pretty poor compared to how it was 5 years ago.

3. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Krikkit, just to be an ass :p

I actually see more people (that I know anyways...) working to pirate console games, just due to the fact that they are more expensive.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Don't get me wrong - DRM can suck my man bits. It is a useless piece of ****, no argument.

However, when it comes to companies like EA they have to be seen to be TRYING to protect their PC game launches - They are a much bigger entity than Stardock. The fact that DRM doesn't work, and as is so rightly pointed out, just pisses people off (Myself included - Most particularly with Tages and The Witcher) doesn't mean a damned thing when it comes to big businesses. If they're not seen to be trying, someone will fire them. They like their jobs, or at least, the pay.

I bet my socks that the people making the game know just as well as you or I that DRM is pointless, and that it's the suits who're pushing these massive cheques into SecuROM for a useless bit of software.

We won't see the back of DRM, regardless of what happens with piracy. Even though, personally, I'd rather see pirates getting the shaft and us legit users getting the easy ride.

5. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

6. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

so DRM's a necessary evil huh? "OH THEY CANT BE PLAYING SPORE WITH THIS PROTECTION SYSTEM"

wrong... I saw people playing spore before it was even released... the crack was already out here and all they had to do was not let the game connect to the spore server...

spore's a singleplayer game... so... not much of a need for an internet connection unless you're dloading some stuff on the background... :p

7. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

yeah seriously, pretty much what i wanted to post after reading that quote.
    Nothing on PC but Crysis, WoW and The sims? please, thats total ********...
    I think the only time i've been 'jealous' of console gamers (in that they have a game i really want to play and PC doesnt) is GTA4, but thats out for PC next month anyway
    pretty much every other game thats xbox/ps3 exclusive looks rubbish :\

8. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Sigh, this has been beaten to death, when will devs find something better to talk about, like maybe how they can make it better instead of whining all the time. Sikc of this crap. Considering the sheer number if awesome games out and coming out for PC i think this has been one of the biggest exaggerations out there.

I think molyneux is an ass anyway, no one tells so mUch bull about their own game and doesn't deliver then him.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2008
  9. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

While I haven't seen many good titles on PC lately, the good ones that are PC exclusive are really some of the best I've played. How Episode 2, TF2, The Witcher (my current game du jour) and yes, crysis. I'm waiting for a good RTS to top the likes of Company of Heroes, and from the looks of it, Dawn of War 2 will be it. Oh, and I'm looking forward to Jumpgate Evolution, and that is definitely not gonna be available on a console.

10. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I agree. I wish I hadn't bought spore. whats his next game out? just so I dont buy it...

11. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Not releasing games for the pc = even less sales than if you release it and some copy it.

12. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Good point.
    Though there is a fair bit of cost involved with 'porting' games to the PC which may not be offset by sales.
    I doubt it though, unless the game is cack and nobody buys it in which case shame on them for releasing it in the first place... :D

13. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Perhaps Starcraft 2?

I don't think PC gamming will miss all those "once big devs" that much.
    It's only their wish for PC gamming to die. To "disarm" us, "PC pirates", and force us to move to consoles. So that we pay 150$ for mediocre games...

14. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

The PC market is worse than in the past but it's also more complex to develop a game now.

My biggest complaint about games in general is companies like EA that buy up all the talent then micro manage and pressure the devs to knock out a title that ends up flopping. DICE was one of my favorite companies then EA bought them out and rushed BF2 which later was abandoned for BF2142. It just makes me sick that what was once a great industry has now been torn apart for share holders and profit. I understand people need to make money but devs used to make game for the love of it not just profit.

IMO the whole blame piracy is crap. Easier access to games, less restrictions (DRM blah blah) and a quality game does make sales. GTA4 was pirated to hell and back yet Rockstar still made 500 million in sales. COD4 was pirated too and they had amazing sales. I support companies I like by buying games which I find worthy of getting my money. I've bought every FIFA title since FIFA 07 why?..because I knew EA FIFA dev team would improve the game not just abandon it for sales.

Great prebuyout companies: Westwood Studios, EA (with original CEO), Black Isle Studios, Maxis, 3DRealms, Blizzard, Squaresoft, Capcom, Redstorm Entertainment and tons of others I can't remember.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2008
  15. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Agreed on that one!

They also need to provide multiplayer components to their games so the online CD Key will become blacklisted soon as it is duplicated. There are only ever around 10-20 cracked Cod servers playing at anyone time (check gamemonitor.com) so this will make most people buy the game if it is quality and worthy of its price tag.

16. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

DRM is useless. Spore has the strongest DRM to date and it can be downloaded DRM free with ease. You just loose out on the online interaction with others. There is no stopping pirates. Put something in there, but not restrictions like Spore has.

Valve has the best model. Even then you can get the HL games Steam free if you so wish. But Valve prices things right and has the easiest install ever. I'll continue to support them.

17. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

I think Warren Spector said something recently about all the big devs moving to consoles (like himself) and he said the benefit is that all the indie devs do better, and I can't really complain if that happens.

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

The main problem with PC gaming is the spiralling costs of hardware associated with it. Yes in the long run, consoles and PCs end up balancing out on cost. But as a customer, using a PC is becoming more effort than it's worth. Most of the games are unoriginal and are focused on graphics. Lots of game releases are buggy as hell and take months to be patched to be working properly, and then you have problems with hardware compatibility.

This is one of the main reasons why they're not selling so well.

19. Lepermessiah

Spiraling cost? Costs for PC's have pretty much sataed the same for over a decade........................

20. Lepermessiah

Indie Devs do better? What Indie devs? There are none on Console, in order to develop for consoles you have to become a certified deveoper then geta dev kit, which costs hundreds of thousands, so indie devs dominant on Pc compared to Console. There is a reason new devs like Cd project (The Witcher) and most devs start on PC first. For every Dev that moves to console we get another Crytek, GSC or CD Project. Whoever said Indie game do better on console has no clue how the business works. GSC gameworld (Stalker) only recently became a certified developer for 360, said cose was a big issue when trying to become a certified dev for consoles.

Tags: Add Tags