1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Thomson and Leadtek prep Cell graphics

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Waste of money i beleive for the purpose of HD playback, as anyone interested in runnign a home cinima would likely have a video card that support hdcp as required for a lot of HD content, thus the video card would have hardware accerlation for HD playback (but not the 8800gtx).

On another note, after i manged to get HD working smoothly on my own pc, i assisted a friend setup his pc to be abel to play HD content, of which he has only a 3ghz P4, after installing the CoreAV codec which is around $15 this worked fine, a sure saving from the £150+ required for this cell card.

However as for HD video encodingthis may aid a little, but does software for it need to be made compatible with it, much like the situation with CUDA?
    In which case cannot the user just use CUDA over this solution, as a single card would be cheaper yet again.

This card seems to remind me of the situation of the agea physx cards in some ways.

3. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Wouldn't this card make emulation of the PS3 really easy? As I understand it, the difficulties in emulation lie in the differences of the very specific hardware consoles have and PC's. Would having a cell processor would cut down those differences almost completely?

4. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Why on earth would anyone buy this for HD playback when you can get £30 - 50 graphics cards that will do the job just as well?!

5. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

I will take a 4550 over this. That is just way too expensive.

6. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

The NMT I bought my mum for her birthday for £100 can play 1080p .h264, try making something as small, cheap and efficient out of a SFF PC and that card.. madness

7. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

This is a fast, small multicore chip....
    If it can do encoding/decoding fast, can it do Physics processing as well ?
    This could be a nice 'Daughter card' to the CPU, where the CPU really takes the general processing, and anything really hard is sent to the Co-processor CELL card...

8. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

For DEcoding HD video, a low end current generation GPU will do the job for a tiny fraction of the price (and power draw). However, I seem to recall the SpursEngine does a sterling job of upscaling (haven't tried it myself, but it would make sense, if the PS3's DVD upscaling is any indication), so may have an application there, but unlikely at the price point!

Maybe for ENcoding, it will justify its price tag??

9. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Well I'm happy :)

I don't buy a lot of blue ray, but when I do I like to store it on the old server. Tend to offload the task of encoding it so it doesn't interfere with any PCs I actually sit in front of.

Anyway, let's just say at 'nearly' highest settings with a turbo first pass the dual Opteron 248 server still needs nearly a month to encode a full 1080p movie. If this cuts the encode time down and doesn't put restrictions on the quality level, then power savings alone will justify the purchase.

Of course, will it use MeGUI / AviSynth or some dumbed down software though?!?

10. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

A line of Toshiba's newest generation of TV's is going to come with Cell/SpursEngine built in to provide quality upscaling for broadcast TV images (most upscalers on TVs are crap).

11. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

for high-end media center PCs or audio design PCs I could see this being worth wild otherwise unless this can output physics like mad for gaming its useless.

12. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

Wouldn't you be better off investing that money into a new card that supports CUDA? The hardware decoding is already there, and the hardware encoding is already here in early stages.

I think I'd rather let my GFX card handle those tasks, sound like a complete waste of money.

I think the power of the encoding software that comes with this guy will determine whether it sells to the encoding enthusiasts. But i doubt it's going to be anything like x264 (features wise).

13. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Yeah, unless there is some 'killer app' for having the Cell, I'd go for a 4550.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It looks like a cooler (in terms of temperature) lower power alternative for increased graphics grunt to bigger, hotter graphics cards.

I wonder how well it would fold?

15. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

from what i recall of the techy side of the cell processor, it being an 'in-order' processor makes physics and AI calculations one of the worst things you can run on it.

though it really excels at easy to predict / simpler calculations, such as video encoding/decoding... it's a slightly more general-purpose version of the shader units in current graphics cards.

though this is from memory, i might have got the details a little confused :blush:

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No - AMD 780G for example is made using the 55nm TSMC process and is sub 1W TDP. Throw in a £40 CPU and it does exactly the same job for a fraction of the cost.

I read this story and have talked about it to various others and still can't fathom what it will be good for. It excels at nothing.

17. rollo

rollo Modder

as is usauly said if you mension price as a reason not to buy it wasnt aimed at you in the first place.

quality is above anything else a paramount for most people intrested in this sort of stuff. And a dedicated card does alot better than a graphics card in this sence

18. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

If it will be anything like the PS3's CELL chip then it will fold pretty amazingly.

19. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Wouldn't this be a PPU-like approach all over again? Thanks, but no thanks.

QFT.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

In terms of HDTV encoding, true. But in terms of folding?

That's what I'm hoping... The PS3 Cell has twice the numer of SPEs (8 instead of 4), and runs at 3.2Ghz rather than 1.5Ghz. So it has four times the performance. On the upside, the SpursEngine runs at 10-20Watts.

A bunch of these on a basic PC and you have yourself a tidy folding array. I couldn't think of any other useful application though.

Last edited: 5 Oct 2008
Tags: Add Tags