1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What Hardware Should I Buy? - Oct 2008

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Oct 2008.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

don't worry I knew that already :)

I was just wondering if Intel had different marketing techniques in UK

2. myhottrashcan

myhottrashcan Just some guy

Already stated above, but having an additional category for sound cards, peripherals, monitor etc, would help when speccing an entire system, not just the 'box'.

It would also be neat, if somewhat labor intensive, to see actual builds of the systems proposed in these type of articles periodically, just to see some performance numbers and such.

All in all though, great articles and I look forward to seeing next month's "What Hardware Should I Buy" article!

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Nice little guide. I actually think I was looking/asking something like this a year back. And indeed a last page table of features might be nice. You could list the components and maybe things like crossfire(yes/no), gblan(1/2), number of sata-connectors etc. This sure adds some work, but with just a couple motherboards it still might be doable?

4. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Haha. Good to see an upcoming ASUS M3A79-T review (hopefully I can find it in stock soon).

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

same here. but you got to know P45 is the chipset to get in 2008, iP35 Pro was the best mobo in 2007 (which Bittech recommended in their 2007 article)

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

:thumb:

Usually Intel marketing is completely uniform across the company - they have big, big documents about how everything should look.

7. Gunblade

Gunblade The Frugal Chef

Good article!

Though I am even more pleased that there must of have been input for this kind of content from others as well on the bit-tech survery a little while back. I remember when asked the question what they could do to improve or whatever; specifically asking for this kind of article. Stuff like Tom Hardware's "Best video cards for the month of ... ".

Hell yeah Bit-Tech!

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

We don't spend money running surveys for the fun of it - we spent a long time analysing all of the data and responses, working out what people actually want to see us do. Everything we went through was all, not surprisingly, all incredibly valuable feedback. :thumb:

This article is something we've had requests for in the forums and via email for quite a long time as well, so getting more feedback on that in the survey was not necessarily the tipping point, but it was definitely a big influence. :)

9. DeSean

DeSean What's a Dremel?

The Spinpoint F1 probably shouldn't be in the Premium system I think. There are newer, faster drives such as the large Caviar Black series, albeit for more money.

Also, for the more expensive systems, you might as well recommend Vista Ultimate (especially if the builder is a student - £40!!!). I find things like remote desktop quite useful, and IIRC the backup options in Premium are not quite as tasty.

Good article though, except it just makes me want to spend money.

:)

SM

10. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Yes, yes yes yes. YES!!
    You guys are the best, hands down.
    Thank you for the article. this will make it easier to choose stuff.
    And like you said it yourself, hopefully cut down on the "what should i buy?" threads in the forums.

11. anduril

anduril What's a Dremel?

fantastic this was the only thing i missed at bit tech
    and now they've got it.
    great articles.
    keep em coming at regular intervals

12. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

this article came at the right time,
    i was getting ready to build anew system and this helped alot.
    thanks to everyone that put it together,
    it helped me make more informed choices.

13. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

This article is awesome!
    When I built my current rig it was BT reviews and recommendations that I turned to.
    Thanks for this. I love you guys :)

14. Xir

Xir Modder

Great feature!

urrr...Maybe I just don't quite get it..not having tinkered with Intel for a long time.
    For High end, you recommend running:

a 1066mhz fsb CPU (and even overclocking it to 1333mhz fsb)
    a 800mhz memory...

? So you run the 800 mhz fsb memory at 1333mhz fsb?

If so an additional text to the memory (that it will run at 1066/1333mhz fsb with about theseandthose timings) would be handy?

Xir

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yup

16. CanadaPhil

CanadaPhil What's a Dremel?

This is a great feature! I wish it had been available before I ordered the components for my new computer. I think I made a few mistakes. :duh:

As a newbie who's been burned with incompatible hardware, I'd like to see a short section at the end reassuring readers that the components all work well together, note any limitations and desribe the type of user this build is suited to. Perhaps it would also be helpful to show the results of some (some, not lots) of test between the 3 systems to show what the extra cost buys you.

Phil

17. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* What's a Dremel?

18. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

Personally, I hate vista and I wish I got XP with my new laptop. Vista is a pain in the you-know-where to work with. But because gaming is still possible, I don't change. I run linux (OpenSuse) mostly anyway.

19. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The CM330 case suggested for the budget build is on special offer at ebuyer for £50 inc a CM460W eXtreme Power Plus psu (£40 at ebuyer). Not as good as the recommended Corsair VX450W psu (£48 at ebuyer), but not bad and a £23 saving on the pair. :thumb:

20. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

great work. I seem to remember saying in a market survey thing a few months ago that a frequently updated 'best buys' section would be really appreciated so here you go listening to the feedback! excellent, really really good.

Tags: Add Tags