1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News All future Sony MMOs to be on consoles

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Now all they have to do is make/publish an MMO that's worth playing for more than a few hours!

3. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

MMOs are usually accompanied by a large slice of multitasking - IM, Web etc How are you going to go check x website or choose a new radio stream whilst waiting for your party?

Sony obviously havent thought about anything other than money as per usual...

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'm sure you can learn to do that through the XMB, and the PS3 is more than up to the technical strain.

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Are they meant to? They're a money making machine. It's their job. Thats all they will ever do.

6. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Video games are timesinks enough for children without MMO's getting involved. Buying games which can addict you for several hours is one thing, but to actively buy ones that can addict for several months, I personally don't think that's responsible parenting. Kids can play MMO's when they're earning enough to pay the sub fee imo, that's probably the right level of maturity.

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I don't think it will work quite so well on the PS3 control wise for some MMOs, but then again you can use a kb and mouse with a PS3 can't you?

Quite looking forward to how the agency turns out.

Oh, and give that cool dude smiley his joint back :p

8. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I assume that by playing an MMO via console you'de be free to perform such tasks.....on a laptop or computer? I dunno, maybe I have a different train of thought. When it comes to things like that, I'm not interested in being able to pull up a browser while actively playing any console game when I've a laptop or computer nearby for that, or even my cell phone/mp3 player if I really need to do it.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2008
  9. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

the only one of theirs i've tried is star wars galaxies, it sucked, i know hate all mmo's.. so i think i'll pass..

as a side note, how many people use final fantasy 11 on the 360 or used to use phantasy star online for the dreamcast, i dont think console mmo's are as big a market as sony thinks they are

10. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

If done correctly, MMOs are fine on a console.

I think the 360 would be a solid choice for an MMO because of the awesome keyboard addon it has for the controller. Of coarse Sony will stay with the PS3.

11. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

It is an untapped area, and wether the games are good or not, it's nice to see it explored. The 360 was on course for what could have been a huge gain in that area with True Fantasy Online, but the project was canned. I know alot of friends that played FF XI on PS2/XBox 360 over PC. For them it was a little more relaxed playing that way, instead of sitting at a computer desk they had the entire room to lounge in while they played just different prefrence though (I played FFXI on PC). Phantasy Star (and in some instances Monster Hunter)was, and I think is probably still the best model any console based MMO should follow. The game plays like a single player RPG in the control and camera departments but maintains the community and multiplayer aspects pretty good, not to mention the game still has a good following since it's Dreamcast days. DC Universe Online is looking good too. I'm not too keen on The Agency though. I think it can be done, as long as they remember first and formost that it is a console game when they factor in controls, camera, ect.

12. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Guess I won't be playing any future Sony MMOs then. I don't want to invest in a console too.

13. Gunblade

Gunblade The Frugal Chef

True Fantasy Online was developed for the Xbox, not the 360.

14. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

I think Sony have a huge advantage over Microsoft in this area. To play an MMO on the 360 you would need to pay for the game AND the Xbox live subscription AND the subsciption to the MMO itself. Not to mention getting ur Xbox fixed when it gets a red-ring-of-death after playing the MMO for 20 hours straight...

15. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I don't think your opinion stands true in East Asia. You know, where they outpopulate us.

16. willowthewhite

willowthewhite Minimodder

I think the only way that an MMO will be a main stream success on the consoles is if they don't charge a subscription, I have only played one MMO and that is Guild Wars, the reason being that there is no subscription, so I don't feel that I have to put in hours of gameplay every night to get my moneys worth.

Tags: Add Tags