1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V The best set of speakers for £20!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dragontail, 7 Oct 2008.

1. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Hey guys, looking for a decent pair of 2.1 or 2.0 speakers for around £20. Currently, the Logitech X-240, the Altec Lansing VS2420 and the Eltax Concept Mini are on the shortlist. I'm quite a n00b at audio, so was hoping you guys could help me here. Any ideas/suggestions?

2. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

The Logitechs are probably the best choice, they don't have much competition for this price range. Try and find some X-230s, they are slightly better than the X-240s.

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Those eltax prob sound ok but youd need a amp.

TBH anything for £20 is not going to sound to amazing.

4. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Indeed. You get what you pay for (up to a certain point) with audio. I wouldn't look at PC speakers anyway. Get an entry level amp + a pair of wood core bookshelf speakers. It's a good, long term investment that can always be expanded to a 5.1 / 7.1 / 2.1 setup down the road while ensuring good quality audio.

5. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

While that does sound good, bear in mind these are for powering a small uni "dorm" up to a low-moderate volume. However, I'm still open minded. Got any suggestions?

6. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

7. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Should be mainly for music. I play a fair amount of music, and at the minute, I'm using the built-in speakers in my Macbook Pro, which is pretty rubbish...

8. gar

gar Minimodder

I got a logitech 2.1 in the post for £15 today and I am trhilled as the sound to price ratio. I own several sound sytems, from a cyrus, marantz and denon. I am on my second logitec system. I gave my others to my dad. Go for the logi's The altecs have the fancy name, but the won't beat those logitech 2.1's trust me! :) You'll not get better value.

9. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Imo, spending £20 on speakers probably won't yield massive improvements in quality. It might be worth saving up and dropping some coin on something that sounds okay. I'm bias, but Logitech Z10's can be had for around £60, they're rather good for a 2.0 system.

10. gar

gar Minimodder

Or,... I have a brand new set of M Audio AV20's if you interested. Although they have a great name and sound good I am actually more pleased with my el cheapos! Why not into Currys and have a listen?

11. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

gar: you think highly of your logis. Which model is it?

silver51: My budget might stretch a bit, but I can't afford the Z10s, no matter how much I droll on the thought :rolleyes:

12. strjms72

strjms72 What's a Dremel?

I have Logitech X-240 and I are happy :). I recommend to you. Are the most lovely of you proposed.

13. gar

gar Minimodder

It's not that mine are the ones to have. I have just bought the S220. They are so well built I can't open for my project!

I really like the sound, but I'd certainly recommend you the X240's. It'll be the best £25 pounds you could spend.

strjms72 are happy with them. I think you'd be pleased too really! Ah go on, and then tell us what you think?

14. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Go to local jumble and car boot sales
    (Cheapskate thing to say)
    Hop over a back fence so that you don't have to pay the entry fees
    (</Cheapskate>)
    and have a look around there... I got a 5.1 system (Creative Inspire T5900) for £4

What was up with it? The middle speaker had no stand (no problem, it was going on the sub anyway)... failing that I can have 3 inputs at 2.1 each so I don't have to switch jacks when I want to listen to something else... it's a win/win situation :)

15. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

No way! Thats some awesome bartering there...

I once got myself a whole Technics home stereo system for £15 + £5 for two sanyo speakers. That thing is loud! I am actually scared to take the volume over 20% - the highest I took it was 60% (using the remote, from behind a door :p) and we managed to break my cousin's phone which was charging nearby.

it would be worth it to go around to a local market and try and see if you can hook yourself up with a stereo system - ebay might be expensive on delivery. You do get piece of mind with some new Logitechs, but some large beefy system is so much more fun :D

16. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Haha, nice one bigsharn. Go thing MGT didn't turn it up to 100% eh :p

I'll be sure to look out for some tasty deals, but immensely tempted by the X-240s (thanks strjms72, gar). I'll head into town soon to have a scout around and see what catches me eye.

17. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Maybe one day, when I'm drunk/stoned/tripping, I'll give it a go... :p

I would recommend the X-240s as well. They're nice and compact speakers, and the AC-DC PSU is built into the speaker so you don't get a massive adapter plug. Sound is more than enough to listen to in your bedroom, and I would still have mine if I didn't get the urge to replace them with the monster which currently resides in my bedroom...

I think ebuyer had em for £9.99 at one point... (well, without the subwoofer...)

18. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Decided to get the X-240s today from John Lewis, £25. Also found it in Currys for £50, which made me laugh. Sound is pretty immense for the price, well at least up to 50-60%. Can't even test it at any more cos it would just piss off all my neighbours. Thanks for the help guys!

19. gar

gar Minimodder

Nice one! Pleased that you're pleased! :)