1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News WiFi competitor uses visible light

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Wouldn't LED fans and the like interfere with these?

3. Goty

Goty Minimodder

ANY kind of light in the range these LEDs are supposed to operate in will interfere with this system, but I've found an even bigger issue: what if I want to game online with the lights off or surf the internet at night?

Seriously, why do we pay these people? I want to get paid to come up with impractical solutions to problems that don't exist!

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

They should use IR LEDs or something, but this'll be dead easy to block. Bit o' paint...

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I suspect that it'll be designed for office work - somewhere where the lights are on all the time.

The problem with using visible (or even near-visible) light is that it's very easy to interfere with.

I can see what they're trying for with this one, but I'm a sceptic until further notice tbh. :p

6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Only problem I see is that LED lights do not give out enough light. I've tried replacing the halogen bulbs in my bedroom with a set of LED bulbs (they use the same fittings as the halogen bullbs) and they're just not bright enough. I've ended up swithching 1 of the 3 bulbs back to halogen (the one aimed at the computer incidently).

7. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

No, but I don't want to offer an explanation that could be wrong.

At the very least, consider that such a system would depend on line of site. There would need to be a sensor oriented up or otherwise towards the light fixture transceiver. Unless you have uber-bright case lighting that is itself an immensely powerful light source, in proxiimity to or aimed at the sensor, everything should be fine.

Consider television remotes. These work via IR. Many lamps emit IR light as well. Does having a light on in a room prevent you from using an IR remote control with the television? Granted IR remote signals are modulated, but the TV sensor won't/shouldn't pick up non-modulated IR signals even of the same frequency.

Another thing is that LEDs typically emit at very specific wavelengths, and non-traditional colors emit at very specific color combinations. Maybe that "feature" can help in some way.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2008
  8. liratheal

Ah, fair enough. I was asking out of curiosity, since I know jack about light and what has an effect on it.

That said, I did used to have my PC on my desk, back in the day when it was bright enough to blind the nearest person to it >.>

9. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

This sounds pretty cool but would this not be susceptible to a variant of Van Eck Phreaking? :D

10. liratheal

That is the most insane thing I have ever seen. Evesdropping on monitors?!

Time to make my monitor a tinfoil hat :D

11. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

What if the kiddies wanna watch pr0n and not let their mums know they're up?

12. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Think they should come with.. warning may produce fits or headaches due to constantly flickering light :duh:

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

At 10Mbps, you won't even get close to seeing it.

TV remotes don't transfer masses of data though, they transmit a small amount of data loads and loads of times, and even then they can be a bit fussy.

As for specific wavelengths, yes, LED's emit a very small band of frequencies, but you will still get interference from other light sources, especially white lights.

14. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Epileptic (sp?) office workers are a thing of the past!

15. Xir

Xir Modder

Been there, it's called IRDA and used to be standard in mobile phones, laptops etc. ;-)

16. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

True, but surely we've advanced the IR spectrum refinement now and can increase the data throughput, my phone doesn't have IRDA on it.

17. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

just improve on current radio signals, rather than go back to line of sight communications like these (even if you say you have lots of led to eliminate line of sight problems), I still find this so called new technology a bit of a let down

18. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Radio is still line of sight until you get into about 6-meter and greater bands.

19. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Look towards Japan their WiFi networks are crazy.

20. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

well the nice thing is you could have the wifi where you want it, so like in a room with four walls you dont have to worry about the signal going outside so you could leave it unsecure for guest and not worry about people out side leaching off of it, so ya I can see the applications in this, or like say in Hospitals where such signals interfere with equipment, maybe using the light spectrum wont have the same effect so they would be able to use more wifi based devices.?

Tags: Add Tags