1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fallout 3 already pirated for the Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Oct 2008.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

/owned ?

2. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

The governments refusal to do anything about torrent sites hosting illegal files is the issue, not gamers who are at fault, at least not to a large degree. If people were not so paranoid with the "Big brother is watching us" attitude, maybe governments could punish any sites who host anything other then valid files. Anyway, piracy exists everywhere, but PC piracy is much greater then consoles, and eventually PC will continue to lose devs. It is sad when a Classis PC franchise like Fallout has its lead dev platform a console. Games should be made on PC then ported to console not the other way around.

3. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

This is straight BS. There are going to be a very significant number of people who will pirate this now and then never buy it legitimately, assuming the cracked version is basically stable.. I can't see how you can possibly argue that this doesn't translate to lost sales. You're seriously contending that people are going to cough up the $60 so they can get their XBL Achievements? You've got to be kidding me.

Also, when the value is 0, you really only need one digit to convey that.

4. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Leper you're starting to sound like an American....we can't police the world on piracy. If the host country of the website doesn't have piracy laws then companies are SOL.

5. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

Lepermessiah: First you can't say PC piracy dwarfs console piracy without showing numbers to back that. And so far no one has done this.
    Second, the government can't do anything about it. If it shuts down one server a dozen others will spring up. Also it can't shut down servers that are located in other countries where it is legal to host torrents. Piracy has always existed and will always exist, there's not way to stop it. You either ignore it or you stop making games/music/movies/whatever and do something else.

6. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

@Lepermessiah -- it's not the govt's responsability to handle this. What needs to be done is a) a conpletely different/consumer centric business model and more importantly, b) a change in the general perception of piracy and it's implications.

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Even without facts or figures, it's pretty stupid to argue against this point.

There is also nothing illegal about running a torrent web site, the government can shut it down while it investigates, but it will find no illegal files on the server, so they have to drop it.

I also don't think they should be shut down, torrents are a fantastic way of distributing data, and there's a definite legal use for them.

Actually it kind of is. The government has a duty to protect it's citizens. If someone is stealing a citizens IP, they're harming their income and the government need to stop it. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot they can do as most piracy methods lie where the law can't do anything about it.

8. Nature

Nature Minimodder

We have to remember that fall out 1 and 2 are also being constantly pirated and have been for about a decade. This is bad for the rest of us who enjoy pirated content in due time! Acts like this bring attention to the industry cops, hurt the publisher and developer the most by taking away the fan boys who get this game the first week. Let's not forget that this might put microsoft in an sour mood having pirated windows xp and now games for their leading console. Why wouldn't this be done for the upcoming street fighter 4 and tekken 6?

Here in the china you can buy "any" xbox 360 because they are on those wonderful dvd's... So even though blu-ray has been taking a spill lately (like everything else economic wise) expect for it to pull ahead further on down the road because of it's foundation. I rember a bit-tech article from years past saying that the blu-ray disc is that last portable data medium and I'd guess that to.... with the exception of 1tb usb 4.0 flash drives. Downloadable or "steamable" content is the future it is...

9. Narishma

How is it stupid? You can't expect people to believe something without proof just because some developers say it.

10. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Narishma, when you have the time, go to a torrent site that tracks the number of downloads of the ".torrent" files and search for a AAA game that has been released in PC and X360 versions. Call of Duty 4 is a good example.
    A couple of minutes and I have a ratio of 1:53 (X360:pC) in ".torrent" downloads. :sigh:

11. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Just found out that the Fallout 3 release currently on Torrent sites is not the final game but a reviewers copy (outdated build). Popped up on my RSS reader from Xbox-Sky.

12. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

developers should release the game as a torrent but put a virus on the game that takes over your computer.

13. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

True but what are the ownership figures... 1:53000(X360:pC) once you include all the pc's in operation remember statistics can say any thing ;)

14. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Indeed, whats the potential market PC vs 360, and what where the sales figures for both?

15. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Named/shamed yet?

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    I know. Had already wrote that here.
    Now think on the game company point of view.
    53 PC gamers playing without paying versus 1 console gamer playing without paying.
    To what market would you develop your next game?

PS:
    Do note that the 53 number came from a fast head count. Real ratio can be different.
    You can do your own head count. ;)

17. Narishma

The market that has the most paying customers, regardless of how many pirate it. Because it doesn't matter if a million people piate it on PC if more people buy it than those who buy the 360 version. You shouldn't look at how many pirate your game but how many buy it.

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Again, that is the console market, not the PC market.
    Console gamers bought more CoD4 copies than PC gamers.

19. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

anyway, PC version is also available, i'm playing it since yesterday (ofc i am going to buy original).

20. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Kind of affirmation that invasive DRM restrictions aimed to prevent piracy don't work. But that's what the fans / customers have been telling the industry for as long as restrictions have been about and they haven't listened so far.

Tags: Add Tags