1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greetings! I am in need of some opinions...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RDST, 12 Oct 2008.

1. RDST

RDST He who wonders...

Hello,

I'm new to the forums, even though I have been browsing the website for a considerable amount of time before registering. However, I think I am finally in need of some hardware opinions. To be more specific, case opinions. While I have posted a similar thread at TomsHardware, I figure I might as well post one here as well (mainly because I respect this site's community a lot more that TomsHardware).

Now then, I am looking for a new case to replace my current Thermaltake Armor (please forgive me, I was young and new to building a PC). I have been looking at Silverstone and Lian Li, and I have been eying the TJ-10. I was just wondering if anyone had opinions on this case or if they had recommendations for other cases.

I know that recommendations for hardware are numerous and often times dull, but I was hoping for just a wee bit of advice.

Thanks,
    RDST

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Welcome!

What's your budget, what's your needs, what do you want from a case - size, hard drive capacity, watercooling options, PSU in top or bottom, specific support for long PSUs?

3. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

Look at the Lian-Li range, they have some really nice cases but can come with quite a price tag!

4. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Great all around case thats quiet is the antec p182. Also agree with the "I was young and new to computer building" as I have the same, bought it for looks, not features, now I wish I had a quieter case, but refuse to by a new once since this one was a hefty amount... Oh well.

5. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Bought my first one for price; £40 plus a 520W PSU. Ironically I just spent £170 on an Aplus Black Pearl (If you can afford that much you might want to take a quick look at it).

6. RDST

RDST He who wonders...

Sorry should have been more specific. I really don't have a price range because I want to make sure I get it right this time. Now then, I would like a full tower (made of aluminum) with the ability to store several raid arrays (no more than two or three). A PSU on the bottom would also be nice. Also a side window would be good too, I've always like to look at my components. Other things like a removable mobo tray and water cooling support are nice, but not needed.

As for the p182, while I know its been hailed as the greatest thing since sliced bread, I did a build with one about a year ago and it wasn't a pleasant experience. The case just isn't my fancy.

Don't get me wrong, I think my Armor isn't that bad of a case, its a tank when it comes down to it, but I think that I'm past that stage in computers and would like something more refined (and light weight).

Thanks,
    RDST

7. DaveVader

Lian Li then. Look on www.watercoolinguk.co.uk, they have quite a few Lian Li's ranging from very large to normal size, I think they're all under £200. Wait, are you in the UK?

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

He's across the pond.

9. DaveVader

haha, your powers of observation astound me!

10. RDST

RDST He who wonders...

Indeed, I thought that would give me away, conversion rates aren't a problem. At the moment I have three brands that I've been looking at: Silverstone, Lian Li, and Coolermaster. My only problem with Lian Li is that lack of side windows (One of my main requirements). As I said previously the Silverstone TJ series is what I've been looking at most.

11. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I bet you could buy a converted Lian-Li and even if you can't, a square window mod is as easy as pie (and if you can't you could pay to get it done).

12. RDST

RDST He who wonders...

The idea of a pre-modded cases really doesn't appeal to me. Why should I buy a case that doesn't have what I want in the first place? I really like the Lian Li style, but I refuse to compromise. I did that the last time, and it didn't turn out well.

13. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I love my TT armor, it's just the window isn't as cool as before, the interior was ugly, so i painted it black, the cable management isn't great, but it's one hell of a solid case. Also sucks when I want to go to a lan at a friends place, as the thing weighs a ton. The coolermaster 690 is a nice budget case, and I do believe there's a model that has a window.