1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help choosing a new motherboard for my new rig, continued.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Solve, 7 Oct 2008.

1. Solve

Solve What's a Dremel?

As the topic says, i'm a bit unsure for what to buy. What im currently looking at is the P5Q Deluxe or the P5Q-E. I plan on OC'ing it a bit so i want the best card for that option at an acceptable price of course.

The specs i want to use on this motherboard are :

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 1333Mhz
    ATI HD4780 1GB
    Mushkin DDR2 4 GB extreme Performance XP2-8000 2x2048MB 1000MHz. (5.5.5.12)
    +3 hardrives and a dvdrom

And i'm wondering if a 650w power supply will be sufficient for this? or maybe i should go to 750?
    I'm a bit unsure about the ram as well. Anyone that have any better choice on what i should get?

Thanks for any answers in advance and sorry for my bad english.

Last edited: 13 Oct 2008
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Welcome! :)

650W will be ample.

I like the P5Q series and we tested the board with that exact same CPU and it worked perfectly. Other competitors to the P5Q are the Gigabyte EP45-DS3R/DS4 or now even the UD3R. If you are also looking at the P5Q Deluxe, check out the MSI P45 Platinum too. :) The BIOS is much much improved now, although I haven't yet overclocked with it.

3. DarkEditioN

DarkEditioN What's a Dremel?

I think the P5Q should be the best of those specified for overclocking. And 650W Is enough, maybe even too much but... Maybe later you will need more W when you upgrade. And nicely chosen rig btw.

4. Solve

Solve What's a Dremel?

Thank you for the answers :) im going with the deluxe version of the P5Q's.

But im wondering since the netshop in my country is out of stock of the Muskin ram with (5.5.5.12) timings, but they do have the same ones with (5.5.5.15). Is it better to wait until they get the lower ones in stock or does it have little to no effect at all? I never really understood what each timing is for only that lower is better. but in terms when OC'ing how does this effect clocking the CPU? ive read alot of guides but it takes some time to let it all sink in to understand it all.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2008
  5. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

You will see very little difference in performance between the two. Also, have you thought of other brands of RAM? Corsair and G.Skill are known to work very well in Asus motherboards.

6. Solve

Solve What's a Dremel?

Yes i have. But the shop i'm ordering from here in my country doesnt have that many different brandnames. They have the Corsair TWIN2X8500C5D 2gb moduels and some OCZ ones. But the Mushkin ones are very cheap, thats the reason for picking them.

7. DarkEditioN

DarkEditioN What's a Dremel?

And for RAM I would recommend you GEIL... They are great and not so expensive.

8. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

I would only use Geil if it were the absolute only brand I could get...LOL.
    If you don't need the RAM right away, then wait, but you are not going to see any difference with those timings, unless you're trying to squeeze that last millisecond out of SuperPI or some other benchmark.

9. Solve

Solve What's a Dremel?

Okey need some help again. I've gotten a bit unsure now to what setup i should buy. The price is nearly the same (100£ apart). I'll post a list of the 2 rigs I've setup. I like to play a lot of games so that's my main prio here.I'm wondering if i should upgrade to the x2 card. Don't really know if the x2 card is really worth it on the screen that i have. its only a 22", but i might upgrade in the future if i get some more money for it. Don't really know how much power the x2 card takes I've tried to search on it but all i find is with crossfire. so i might go down on the PSU if the power consumption isn't that much.

Rig one, this is the rig i first decided on:

MIST, 650W PSU Rev.3
    Club3D HD4870 1024 MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 1333Mhz
    Mushkin DDR2 4 GB extreme Performance XP2-8000 2x2048MB 1000MHz. (5.5.5.12)
    ASUS P5Q Deluxe, P45, Socket-775, DDR2
    Samsung 750 GB 7200RPM S-ATA2 32MB
    Optiarc / NEC DVD-burner AD-7200S

I changed to the duo core on the new rig, then to the x2 on the Graph card and a bit more powerful PSU:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4870X2 2 GB
    OCZ GameXStream PSU 850W

Now the price is a bit higher but is it really worth it? I'm not planning to upgrade to corei7, i just want something that will take the new games coming out now(fallout3,farcry2 ect. ect.) and a bit more further down the line. Any help is appreciated thanks a lot in advance

:)

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Dump the GameXStream and get something a bit better, the OCZ GameX's are Top-power (Topower) and tbh I don't rate them that wonderfully considering what else you can buy. Where are you looking for this stuff ^^?

An X2 completely depends on driver support, like all Multi-GPU setups. Some games scale wonderfully, most do quite a bit much and for a few you'll simply get the performance of a single card and hope AMD updates the catalysts for next month. That said, many have bought them and found them great - it depends what games you play and anything popular AMD should design drivers for.

11. Solve

Solve What's a Dremel?

The PSU i can always change it was just something i chose for 850w. So what i really should do then maybe is get another 4870 when the time comes. Or maybe even just get the new stuff that is out when i need an upgrade. Saves me some money now. Planning to upgrade before fallout3 comes out. That game is gonna be so awesome.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Where do you buy this lot from? What other choices of manuf. are there?

13. Solve

Solve What's a Dremel?

Do you mean all of it? Or just the psu? They have a pretty limited selection of stuff i can get. But i get a 10% discount if i buy everything off them. And they have the best selection where i come from and the best prices. Its called netshop.no dunno how good your norwegian is tho :p the psu brands on this site are antec, bZerk, corsair, gigabyte, mist, ocz and thermaltake.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

15. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Not topower.. FSP Epsilon. Just as bad.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Either one, the 1000W OCZ's use Topower iirc.

They're like a hurricane :/

17. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Don't think so either; the 1000w proxstream is a 3y (and extremely loud, and 3y being owned in part by fsp), the 1000w elitexstream is impervio, and the 1010w gameXstream is another epsilon.

Regardless, the only ocz power supply I do like is the elitexstream.

Tags: