1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Geek Factor 9, AKA The New Star Trek Movie

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 17 Oct 2008.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

There doesnt seem to be a thread on the new Trek movie yet, and as some rather good pics have started to trickle out on to the interweb, I thought I'd post them up here and see what you guys thought.

I have to admit, the cast (for the most part) looks good:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bones, Scotty (Warp speed, Mr Pegg!), Uhura and Spock all look right on the money. Still undecided about Kirk, Chekov - but the actor playing Sulu just doesn't make the grade.

http://trekmovie.com/2008/10/15/more-star-trek-images-enterprise-crew-nero/
    http://www.mtv.com/photos/?fid=1580156&pid=3298534

I need to see more of the bridge as well before I pass judgement. It does seem to be a genuine attempt to blend the old 60's set with a more modern take on it - more like what I'd imagine the NX01 bridge / tech morphing into in the 23rd centuary rather than what the TOS had (Which I love, because it is trek, but it's a 60's vision of high tech)

Apparently there's going to be a proper trailer (or in other words, not one that's full of welders :)) attached to Quantum of Solace when it's released at the end of the month.

I really didn't have too high a hope for this, but I'm starting to get just a *little* excited now. :D

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Is it just me or do they all look too young (**** i'm getting old). Fair enough Kirk, Sulu, Chekov should be but Scotty should be older and Spock should look much older.

Edit: The uniforms and stuff look ok though, i'm with goo, i'm getting quite interested in this. They best not stuff it up.

OK just looked at some more of the pictures. Is this not based on the Enterprise??

Last edited: 17 Oct 2008
  3. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Zachary Quinto as spock just looks plain wrong, in one of the pics available he looks very angry, he should stick to Sylar/Gabriel as it doesn't look like he can pull off emotionless.

4. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I'm still undecided. Spock looks ok (from the image GOO posted ^), Not sure about Kirk though.

5. GreatOldOne

Spock isn't emotionless. He's been angry before in TOS (Pon-Farr, etc etc), and has been known to crack a smile from time to time, to merciless ribbing from Bones.

He's only half Vulcan (his mother, Amanda, is Human) - and all Vulcans have emotions, they just battle to keep their emotions in check with logic. After all, Romulans are the same race as Vulcans, they're just allowed to get shouty. :)

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I think bones and scotty look about the right age, but the rest of them look far too young, even if it is the early years, to be the commanding crew of federation's flagship.

Spock doesn't look right at all, or maybe it's that he looks just right and the rest don't at all. All of them have kind of updated looks, they look similar, but spock just looks like the original with Sylar's face photoshopped on.

However, proof is in the pudding. Can't really cast judgement till I see them in action.

7. steveo_mcg

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

but have **** dress sense like Cardasians.

Anyhooo.. Uhura and Spock look perfect, but I can't help but see Shawn in Simon Pegg. Bones - don't know, depends on the accent and the relationship with the captain and I'm really not convinced about Shatner Kirk. Kirk always held an aura of superiority and arrogance but complete respect as Captain - this guy looks like a child with an :eyebrow:

I really can't see Sulu either, unless whats-his-face acts slightly camp, even when concerned. As for Chekov - nowhere near.

9. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I think you got it right there, spock looks spot on, the rest look slightly awry, but to be fair thats bound to happen. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out, I'll definitely be going to see it.

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Bah, not interested in Trek unless there's Patrick Stewart or William Shatner.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's not working for me. First, the characters are too young, and to have them hold roughly the same rank and status as in TOS is laughable. This Kirk simply is too young to be a starship captain. Spock should be much older --more like Bones. And they're doing another ****ing time-traveling story. Any excuse to get Leonard Nimoy in, because we got to keep whoring the icons to the audience... :rolleyes:

The other problem is that TOS reflected the understanding of technology of that time. All of a sudden, the Enterprise looks higher-tech (and a much different style --almost a much updated Raumschiff Orion) than it did supposedly years later in TOS. They should have got in the art director from Men in Black. 60's retro! :rock:

Other annoying details, from the trailer: the Enterprise is welded together (please, no ionic bonding?). Inside an atmospherically pressured drydock. The warp engines have bling rotating hubcaps in the cones. Light effects in TOS notwithstanding, there was never the suggestion of a moving part in the original conceptual technical design of the ship.

12. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

you guys are all freakin' nerds. stop it.

/aware of inherent irony.

13. GreatOldOne

How do we know he isn't? - Vulcans (even half-breeds) age at a differing rate to Humans.

I was of the understanding that they're taking the literal interpretation of the Enterprise being built at the San Francisco Dockyards. On Earth, that is - not an orbital facility called the San Francisco Dockyards.

As for the welding - well, maybe it's a super dooper sci-fi materials joining method that just happens to spit sparks all over the place like welding. Maybe it's Arc Ionic Bonding. ;)

14. Mother-Goose

Joe Flanigan could have made a good Kirk actually

15. steveo_mcg

At least he looks old enough.

I vote for a cameo from Richard Dean Anderson, he could be the admiral at the naming ceremony of the enterprise, O'Neil would love that :lol:

16. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

+1 for Admiral Jack. XD

17. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

They all look a bit young, but I have alot of confidence for this.

I think the franchise learnt alot from enterprise. People like the new edge ST got with it, but to start with in Enterprise it was just not edgy enough (coupled with a few boring storylines). If they keep going along the line of style of Enterprise s3 and s4 (the best star trek there is IMO) then I think this film will be a hit with the ST Fans (though not otherwise due to the ST Stigma :)).

edit: also woo, Simon Pegg!!!

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah, I can just see it lifting off into orbit on its maiden voyage. :p

19. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Oh and in responce to Nexxos comment about it looking much higher tech than in TOS...

I think the idea of what looked high tech back when TOS was made is so radically differant to what looks high tech now that they really needed to make it look more like what would be considered a "really advanced piece of technology" now. I mean if you think about it the viewscreen on the starship in TOS is the same size as the projector screens people have in their houses now, the idea that you would even have a microphone that protrudes from a desk like is TOS is laughable even by modern standards. And it was just too dark.

I think the bridge of the enterprise has to be an interpretation by modern standards, if they stuck the TOS set into a new film I would just be like "LOL".

20. Mother-Goose

+2 for Admiral Jack - especially if he managed to ask for phasers and got them lol

Tags: