1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Geek Factor 9, AKA The New Star Trek Movie

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 17 Oct 2008.

1. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

They could alway beam it? :idea:

2. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Why not? They can manipulate gravity - they can generate artificial gravity for the decks, and I'm sure they AG gear in TOS. There's no reason why they couldn't fly it out if it didn't have to bother with a pesky thing like gravity. I'm sure that they have tugs as well.

Besides, Voyger managed to zip around in the atmosphere quite readily, and she's only marginaly more aerodynamic than the Enterprise - which is to say a little more than a brick.

MUST... STOP... POSTING... REASONABLE... EXPLAINATIONS... FOR... TREK! ;)

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Voyager is a considerably smaller vessel. It even has landing gears. The Enterprise is meant to float in space only.

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

It will be an odd-numbered film though...

5. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

I quite like it, it's not supposed to be the same but a different view on how things started.

I;ll also be the first to say that Star Trek kicks Starwars ass.

6. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

not sure i agree on that, but i do love my startrek... The movie is starting to intrigue me quite a lot. Pity its not out for sheer ages yet.

7. davidm71

davidm71 What's a Dremel?

The cast sucks...

These days you can't watch a movie without feeling like you have been a market research target. I'm not surprised about their age. This is all about marketing to a certain generation Y or Z or whatever. Like the last Batman movie, the average age of the cast was around less than 30. I loved that movie by the way. Or like the Spiderman movies all very young actors. How much you want to bet that there will be a McDonalds happy meal on the Enterprise, or atleast a Coke Can lying around some where?

I'll probably wait till the video is released on dvd... I kind of feel like not only is the country in a recession but so is Sci-fi...

Dave.
    :wallbash::wallbash:

8. steveo_mcg

Nexxo its becoming clear from this thread that you can't tell your sonic screwdriver from your hyperspanner. Its a well know fact that you can't ionic bond self sealing stembolts and that a reversed polarity isowelder is the simplest method of joining. Assuming you don't include the micro fusion discombobulator which as a man in your position will well know won't work well enough with a anular confinment beam focused through a breathable oxygen atmosphere.

/gets coat, skulks off :D

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

But what about the plasma relay coils?!

10. Nexxo

"To boldly franchise where no man has franchised before..."

You're right about the market research, though. This is why plots are so painfully unimaginative these days.

11. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

The moving parts are clearly because some sort of exhaust vents from near there, or there is some sort of heat source, so it spreads the heat over a larger surface rather than making one area very hot! :p

12. Nexxo

You don't use self-sealing stembolts on a crystal matrix polyalloy hull that will be subject to 5D shearing forces under warp conditions (unless you don't care what particular shape --if any-- your vessel will have when it arrives at the other end). Reverse polarity isowelding can cause a rejection of the primal bonding transference of the mesonic array on a molecular level which then causes a waveform ambiguity as the gluon-quark cluster falls apart. This is not a problem while in a warp sub-space bubble during which there is no 4D drift anyway to exert external influence, but once you arrive at your destination, as you know, the bubble dissolves and the sub-space field restores causing a sudden collapse of the waveform probability. What it then settles on is pretty random. You could find yourself in orbit around your destination in a giant Spanish omelet.

And a welding mask? Please. The gamma radiation that an ungrounded isowelder generates passes straight through that. Any shielding just turns the welder's skull into a microwave oven that can pick up FM radio as a perk.

13. Nexxo

Naah, its because chromed spinning hubcaps look well bling, innit? :p

14. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I can't wait for the movie, I know I'll probably dislike but will take what they give, I love all Star Trek and rather them try new things than just do nothing

15. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Hmm, I think the take on this version of Star Trek is that the Enterprise is a prototype (like the Excelsior was in it's early life). They can't have the cast be too much younger than TOS cast was, but at the same time it would be logical to assume that they had SOME experience before setting off on their 5 year exploration of the final frontier - so hopefully this is that story.

I agree the Nimoy time-travel BS is just that. I love the guy for keeping Trek alive, but its really time for him to stay behind the scenes.

What doesn't jibe with me is any spaceship of the era being built on a planet. They are too large to realistically do so. The San Francisco shipyards could be just the name for an orbiting yard.

I have faith. Its J.J. Abrams, master of the flashback and backstory. If anyone can pull this off, its him. The actors I don't have any investment in (aside from Pegg - love it!) so I think I can go into that aspect with an open mind.

What this really needs is some cheesecake.

Last edited: 28 Oct 2008
  16. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

Kirk has a forehead to challenge David Cameron.

17. Xir

Xir Modder

Wake me up when they redo "Raumschiff Orion" ;-)

18. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Simon Pegg? Does that mean they will find some distant planet, invade it, and attack the local Summerfield?
    I shall wait, patiently for this to appear, and maybe wait a little longer till it's on DVD/Blu Ray before commiting to this, unless it gets really good reviews.

Sam

19. Nexxo

Effin' A. :rock:

20. steveo_mcg

Tags: