1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Kayin's you're cooling WHAT with WHAT thread, now with PICS!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by KayinBlack, 4 Oct 2008.

1. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

So you started with a block/sheet of copper and used a vise to hold, but what did you use to mill it?

Also, I don't understand what you're doing with the acrylic for the top there. I can't make sense of the pic. Is it curved? Is the inner portion of the lowest layer of acrylic milled like a mirror image of the copper?

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Looks like a dog just chew the crap out of it.

Copper may i point out is a bitch to work with, its soft and the surface tears alot, milling is slow and the bigger the milling bit is the better, I used a 45mm bit turning at 150rpm and it took me 2 hours to mill down 5mm to perfection. Then a whole day lapping.

Brass on the other hand is fun to work with, one minute its soft as cheese and you can fly threw it, then it will be hard as hell, its like hitting a wall at 70mph. The piece of brass start shrieking, and if your lucky it lasts just a few seconds as you pass threw a hard layer. I spray some milling lube in there to cool things down a little. Usually 9 times out of 10 the piece will snap and fly off dropping down into the bottom of the lathe (the trap is full of waste material of all sorts, and very sharp), and trying to find a near complete piece of non-ferous metal isn't worth the time, so i start again, if it was steel then i go fishing with a magnet on a string for a few minutes hoping its not gone too deep.

Where is the custom cast silver blocks?

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I didn't know about the brass mood swings. I'll remember that.
    @Modminded - I think you are looking at dremeled copper there. The plexi has an extra layer with jets drilled into it. It's rough as hell because it's just a test subject.
    @Talledega - Aluminum sand casting! I think it would be cool to make some rounded finned aluminum plates. -Have the whole case look like an old radial engine. They could double as passive cooling panels.:D (Yeah, I've thought about it too.:D)

Last edited: 17 Oct 2008
  4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Exactly.

That's three acrylic layers epoxied together, then joined by silicone sealant to the base, as well as held together by 4-40 screws.

It's not too bad, but it leaks a lot. Changing to a different material for the top (polyvinyl, much softer but still hard enough to work as a top easily) will fix minor sealing issues as well as machining issues. I have it cast, have to cut slices and sand them down for carving, and we're good.

The copper is rough, sure, but you know, it's perfectly fine that way. If blocks get bead blasted for surface area, this will be just fine for it as well.

Cheaps, pull your Dremel out and go over the plates of those blocks for that C7 with a diamond ball, just enough to rough them up. You can get a uniform finish just like bead blasting with a bit of practice, and it roughly doubles surface area, all important for heat transfer.

And, for all of us who are building our own blocks, this one was made for us...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7GpiRiFOo0

5. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

whats the melting point of aluminum Cheapskate?

To get the top so it can seal proper just hold it flat on a belt sander maybe?

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

About 660 degrees C, but it really depends on what alloying materials are in it.

7. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

The reason it won't seal is that I have trouble witht he pressure and a badly epoxied top. The block to acrylic seal isn't weeping any more, and I knew what I did wrong there.

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The aluminum casting is still a pipe dream, so I haven't done any research. The only thing keeping me from putting together a casting furnace is that I have nowhere to put it. -Too many trees. I would burn the whole neighborhood down.
    I would set up on the driveway, but I'd never hear the end of it if I ruined the concrete.

9. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Then atleast no one could complain. :lol:

10. flare

flare What's a Dremel?

Cat Face!!!! weebls-stuff Cheesecake :D

sorry if someone has already picked this up.

Silly cat face :p