1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cygnus X1.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 18 Sep 2008.

1. bentleya

bentleya Lian Li Snail :)

them catchs are truly awsome :p truly amazing work :D

2. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

Amazing work! You truly got some skills.
    Dead on!

3. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks, That's not to say I don't like paintwork, I've seen some beautiful paintwork here and elsewhere. :thumb:

Thanks, OK I try to think of ways to trim back photo's and details to make the log flow and keep it interesting
    and novel. But if you want more details then I'm happy to acquiesce.

Below is a photo of the back panel, I originally thought about mounting the catches at the top, but after thinking
    about it for a while and trying to do a simulation in my mind (as you do), It was clear that the chassis, being on an
    incline in the shell, would always want to roll out and if the only point holding the chassis in was at an extremity
    (the top) then it was possible for some flex and less than a perfect fit at the bottom. So I moved the location point
    to a central position, thus distributing the load and reducing the chance of an ill fitting back panel. So, using the
    catches as templates I marked out the locations and then measured them up properly, or so I thought! Started
    drilling and filing and when the first slot (for the arm to stick through) was almost done I though it would be a good
    idea to check the fit before I took too much material away, so I grabbed the correct catch and lo and behold it
    would not fit. Well, as the catches are a mirrored pair I originally marked up with the left hand catch on the wrong
    side and though I triple checked everything, this one thing I just breezed through without checking. I must also add
    that having scribble all over the work piece doesn't help as it's difficult to clearly see the top from the bottom.

[​IMG]

Thanks.

Thanks.

Thanks.
    I read your post at work and as soon as I got home the standoffs were filed down and it does look better. Thanks. :thumb:

[​IMG]

Thanks. :)

Thanks. :) I'll check that out.

Haha, You would be too if your ears were just drilled out.

Thank you. :)

Thanks, you may be able to see in some of the photo's there are heavy file marks on the edges and the surfaces are covered with
    scuff marks and scratches. There are also many sharp corners, but while I'm still making parts and continually assembling
    and dis-assembling it's pointless to clean anything up too much. Once it's all done, cleaned up and sanded I hope it will
    look much better. :thumb:

Continuing on with the switch panel, some openings need to be cut on the two front
    panels to accommodate the rearward extension of the switches and I/O module.

So measured and marked up the first area to be removed.

[​IMG]

Then drilled and cut out with the jigsaw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then this was filed clean in the vice (This will be completely invisible once the switch panel is in place).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It fits alright but very tight near the power switch, so some more material needs to be removed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it fits well now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now an opening needs to be cut into the inside panel (fan carrier).
    I wanted to use the front panel as a template but because of the small bend it had to be marked up
    and cut from the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But I'm out of time now so it will be cut tomorrow.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2008
  4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

All the controls are mounted on the back? You really will be able to do anything with the front.

5. Attila

No no, perhaps I wasn't clear. The controls are on the front with the fans.

6. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Now doesn't that switch plate just look badass mounted lol. Can't wait for more mate, she's a beut.

7. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Badass indeed!
    oldnewby, thanks for answering my questions and even showing pics of the flub! Keep up the good work. I really like how you take the time to respond/quote the responses you get, and make sure we're all up to speed. (aside from the pretty aluminum craftsmanship!)
    That workshop with the tripod is coming in handy!

8. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

this is cool... good-stuff..

9. Attila

Your far too kind b4oz, thanks. :thumb: I'd like to put a small bevel on that panel but don't know how. :wallbash:

Continuing from yesterday the opening was made in the fan carrier.

[​IMG]

And just to have a look at the three pieces together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with the gear in to see if everything clears.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now something that's been bugging me for ages.

[​IMG]

There, scratched that itch.

[​IMG]

Now I have to take some time to clean up because there is no room on the bench and the mess
    is slowing me down.

Before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After.

[​IMG]

I can't get the material for the back plate till next week so in the mean time attention
    needs to be paid to the underside.

[​IMG]

Now this is not as simple as it seems. Several things need to happen here and if care isn't taken, this
    area can end up a mess of parts and screws. The area needs to be covered but some mesh needs to
    go in to allow the PSU to breath. There needs to be some supports made to attach the bearings to,
    and some mesh needs to be put into the cutouts. I really like the look of the that area on the sides of
    the PSU cover the way it is, but some screws will have to go in here to hold the mesh as well as the
    the "undercarriage".
    I have some stainless mesh for this.

[​IMG]

I have to go and think about this.

10. The boy 4rm oz

For the bevel you could use a router and a router table. That should do the trick.

That mesh would go great with the mod.

11. Attila

I have a router table and several routers but....OK, if I screw the piece to a larger piece of wood and then rout them
    together.......Hmmm, OK I'll give it a burl, I suppose a new one can be made if I stuff it up. Thanks b4oz. :thumb:

12. The boy 4rm oz

Just be careful cos the alu is quite soft and the piece you are using is quite thin.

13. Attila

As it turns out it didn't take too much thinking to come up with a simple solution
    for the under side of the chassis. Make a panel, bend up the sides for strength
    and somewhere to attach it to the case, join the whole lot together with the screws
    that will hold the bearings. Of course this has to be done before we'll know if it works. :D

So we start by marking up and cutting/filing to get a square work piece that's the right size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then mark up the fold lines.

[​IMG]

And heavily score the fold line. About a quarter to a third the thickness of the material (1.6mm).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And bend it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check the fit.

[​IMG]

Now some power supplies have the fans in the ends, in which case plenty of air can be drawn in from
    the side vents. But some PSU's have a big fan underneath, so provision needs to be made for this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This opening will allow air to be drawn in from underneath.

[​IMG]

Cut some stainless mesh and drill some holes and we have this. OK it's not very pretty but it
    does the job and will be invisible when this is finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some material will need to be removed from the bends to allow for some mesh to be fitted to
    the side vents.

[​IMG]

But that's all I have time for right now.

14. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Amazing work.... truly awe-inspiring.

15. The boy 4rm oz

+1

The base plate turned out very well. The mesh intake vent was a fantastic addition.

16. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Looking very clean! (both the mod and the workshop/bench!) :)

17. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Again simply beautiful work with the aluminum! I really love and respect it the craftmanship using mainly basic hand tools...

18. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

looks realy great !!
    how do you make those fold line ?

19. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

I love your work. So talented and skilled. There are so many amazing projects on Bit-tech, but one like this, with so much handmade stuff beats it all.

20. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Incredible metal working skills mate, and boy am i jealous of that work area! :)

I really like the idea of literally building a PC around the components.

Cyp.