1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Dead Space

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 21 Oct 2008.

1. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Hmmm i didn't realise Dead space was a third person shooter (thought it was a FPS).

Oh well not really bothered by that. I am looking forward to a demo if they release one as its a game I am not 100% sure on.

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

"sticky, unresponsive and stiff – all of which would be leading in to a very crude joke about necrophilia"

This is why I shouldn't read during meetings, now everyone is wondering why I suddenly started laughing at our profit and loss accounts....

3. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Not botherd just because a game is third person, some people are so close minded, some of the best game i have ever played were from the third person, not every game has to be First person, sigh.

4. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

It's the difference between you controlling a little dude on screen and you controlling, well, yourself in game. There is a certain amount of detachment with third person games, although you’re right, not enough to automatically dismiss a game out of hand.

I was about to buy this game on Amazon but the comments about DRM stopped me. It’s not about activations, but not knowing exactly what is being installed on my machine to enforce the DRM restrictions.

5. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

nothing wrong with 3rd person, however over the shoulder is bloody annoying
    so lets see, terrible controls, over the shoulder and stupid DRM, yeah i think ill pass

6. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Disagree, there is no detachment with third person view, at times I get into the character more, it is about playign a cjaracter, noy yourself, First perosn view does not make me think it is me, lol, I am still playing a character, and being able to see that character at times is better then First person view. All depends how you look at it. At times FPS view can be very claustrophobic and you cannot see whats around you, can be very annoying.

7. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i'll handle the DRM issue, i dont mind 3rd person, and i always think of odd controls as challenging instead of annoying....

yeah im buying it.

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

And guess what arrived today :naughty:

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Mine just got despatched. But Fable 2 has too!

10. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

in terms of level design, i'd rather see more diversity than play a game like FEAR again.

Oh look, another generic office...

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Guess what else arrived in the office today.

12. fstr

fstr What's a rotary tool?

I waited for a PC review to help me decide if I want this on PC (preference) or xbox.
    Thanks for the review - based on DRM, controls, load times I think xbox is the winner for this title.

As a side note - The various reviews I read compares this game often to Resident Evil, but am I the only one that think of Doom 3 when looking at the screen shots and reading the story line?

13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I know from Jamie that he's considering shanking you on the way out of the office.

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

:D

15. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

Sounds like an interesting game, always good to see some new ideas, just a shame when a great game falls down on some few but significant flaws, in this case the controls.

I can see the benefit for the companies using DRM but in theory some of these programs can see all that is installed on the computer, and report this. am i the only one who can see a major problem in this? allowing a program this kind of acess, where does the acess stop? is the program able to see specific information?

there are plenty of vira out there made to report what you are doing on your pc why don't you just download one of those?

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

With a wood?

17. CardJoe

He's considering WHAT?

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

An interesting review, but one question: Given all the awesome games coming out in the next few months, if you were stuck with a keyboard and mouse, would you buy it? :D

19. CardJoe

Personally, I'd not play anything except Far Cry 2 and Left4Dead. They'll keep me going.

20. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Any idea when the demo will be out? Or has someone said already and I missed it?