1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Nvidia Tegra - when, where and how much?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RasmusAnden, 21 Oct 2008.

1. RasmusAnden

RasmusAnden What's a Dremel?

Hi!

I've been looking at the Google G1 for a while and find it very cool and useful, but the price isn't bad at all. However i find the design on the edge of really boring.. so, yesterday a friend of mine reminded me of the Nvidia Tegra, which i had forgotten everything about, mostly because i thought it would be quite expensive.

but after searching the internet for a while, i found the official page on nvidia's own website (Link). I find that device awesome! :)

after reading about the two different versions, the APX (Link) and the 600/650 Series (Link) i find especially the Tegra 650 interesting, so i have a few questions that i hope some of you might be able to answer.

First of, i would like to know when the launch date is set in the US, and also when it's supposed to arrive in Europe.
    Second, i want to know if the price on 200-250 USD is for the APX or the 600/650 and if that price is for the phone only or for the phone + subcription to a company i.e AT&T (or whatever it's called in english? :p).
    third and last, i'm curious about the design of the device on nvidias own website, is that how the device is going to look?

Regards
    Rasmus :)

2. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Wow, that looks to be a pretty awesome device :rock: I can't believe I haven't seen it before...

By the looks of it, it runs 600-800MHz off an ARM processor (which I suppose means no Windows software) but it looks to be an absolute power house! The 650 can output 1080p video quality, and the 600/650 series look the bomb. The proposed battery life is just as impressive...

The launch date is set at the end of 2008, though I'm not sure how plausible that is. Since the device isn't already making waves, I would presume nVidia aren't marketing it, and there has been a delay along the way. It'll certainly come out in the US first, and us europeans will have to wait 3-6 months... :sigh:

The handset will almost certainly cost over USD1200, and by the time it gets to the UK, definitely over £800. That 12MP camera isn't going to come cheap...

My guess is an 18 month contract of about £40 + £200-400 for the handset. Thats perhaps an underestimate...

And I hope they do keep the 600/650 looking that way. I saw a touch-screen at some point on a Youtube Video, but I hope they keep it similar to the one on their site...

Other than that, it will run Windows Mobile, use Opera browser and threatens to kill every other phone on the market feature-wise. Only to be let down by perhaps becoming the most expensive phone ever concieved...

Still, I'm glad I didn't opt for an iPhone 3G... I'd like to see where this goes.

MGT

Last edited: 21 Oct 2008
  3. RasmusAnden

Modgodtanvir @ Yes it looks kick-ass, and the features of it are even more stunning! :D

If it comes out in the US at the end of 08 or the beginning of 09, that'll be good enough as i have a cousin in the Alabama, that don't mind sending it to me. :)

But the price, if it's gonna get as high as you state, i'll forget everything about getting one.. however i think you got it wrong about the camera, i read it as it was supporting the resolution from a camera with up to 12 MP?
    And by Handset, do you mean that you buy the phone and ONLY the phone, no contract to any company?

4. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

It is a pretty awesome concept... I'd love to read a review on it, or see it in action...

I wouldn't be surprised if the price was stupidly high. When I got my hands on the N95 8GB, a year ago, the price was £550. And Nokia has a big bin to pick its parts from, and Symbian OS for it to run. nVidias will have to be a lot more special, and probably better features since it is a premium product, so I'm guessing it will be quite expensive. When I say handset, I mean just the phone...

I hope they do manage to get it cheaper, and economically viable, because I would quite like one... I wish I had a cousin in the states - it would be so useful for getting stuff before the release date. We have to wait for months and even years around here...

I'll have a look for the camera information. 12MP did seem much, but there are a few crazy camera phones about these days...

5. RasmusAnden

I can only say that i totally agree with you! (except for that cousin part :p)

I do seriously hope that they get the price down to a level where normal humans are able to pay for it. :)

6. DarkEditioN

DarkEditioN What's a Dremel?

Well if it stays with that price then... I don't think many people will buy one no matter how good and ncie looking it is... But I am sure Nvidia will fix that problem by the date it is released...

7. RasmusAnden

yea, that has been my concerns to.. if they do keep the price that high, the Google G1 might easy take over the market, knocking nvidia out..

Tags: