1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cygnus X1.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 18 Sep 2008.

1. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

wow that's pure awesomeness! I know you said that you were going to keep the aluminium as it is, but wont you sand out the little scratches? I'd like to say that this thing could look incredible polished and a layer of clear coats!

2. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thank you EEL. :)

Thanks b4oz. :)

Thanks. :)

Thanks Jipa. :thumb:

Thanks. :)
    I scored the bend lines with this. Don't know what it's made of, but very hard.
    Just clamp a stainless straight edge to the piece and dig back and forth till it
    looks like it's deep enough. Doing this makes some space for the alu to move into
    so you get a tighter bend and no folds at the ends (I learned this from coolermaster).

[​IMG]

Thank you. :thumb: Yes I try to make whatever I can, get a lot of pleasure from it. :)

Thank you. :thumb: Yes it makes a big difference to be able to come and go as time permits, and not
    having to set up and then clean up every time you want to do some work, tools always to hand, power
    points. Mmm is good. :lol:

Thanks. And yes yes, this will certainly be cleaned up to a high standard. :thumb:

3. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

sorry for the empty post.

Last edited: 19 Oct 2008
  4. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

really? looks pretty slick to me.

i can't believe how quick you work. this project is moving along incredibly fast, especially considering the quality. how many hours a day do you spend working on this?

5. Attila

Too many! :lol: Three to four hours, but I have to stop for a while and attend to family duties and
    wait till the wife calms down, so this update will be the last for a while. Thanks supertoad. :)

PS. Oh I meant design wise, square hole in square panel. But quality wise I'm happy. :thumb:

Following on from yesterday some material needs to be removed from the bottom panel
    to make room for some mesh in the side vents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And we have cut outs on both sides.

[​IMG]

Then cut some mesh and bolt em in.

[​IMG]

And now you can see it's all nice and snug.

[​IMG]

And that's basically the lower part of the chassis done. When I get the bearings/wheels, whatever holds
    them will hold the lower panel in place (though I have a feeling a screw may need to be put in the middle
    under the side vents).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The mesh is a perfect piece of detail to the case. It just goes lol.

7. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

The case just seems to flow, i mean i could probably stare at these pictures for ages. excellent work

8. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Yes, I agree... flow and pretty! I'm sorry to hear about the enforced curtailment of your modding hours. It's looking great... I smell future MotM coming up.

9. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

i am in awe

10. Attila

Thanks for the kind words guys. :)

Well I was taking My daughter to the playground and on the way we pass some shops. One of
    these is an old junk shop and it had a big stuffed bear out front and Anika wanted to go in and
    have a look, but that's not important. What is, is that inside they had one of those old trunks
    that you can hang suits and dresses up in, you know the kind, they split down the middle when you open em up.
    :idea:

Now I don't have to tell you that when I opened it up I could only see one thing....... The guts
    of Cygnus X1 all shiny and intricate.

So change of plan, out go the duckies (my daughter calls the catches "duckies").

[​IMG]

Now the new idea is the chassis sits on some feet and the shell is fitted to the chassis at the
    back with a locking hinge that will allow each half of the shell to lift off when at the appropriate
    position. Otherwise it will just spit down the middle to completely expose the gut's. I like this
    idea much better. :D

Anyway I picked up a sheet of the 3mm alu for back panel No 2.

[​IMG]

And cut it out and file on three sides.

[​IMG]

Now I concentrated so hard on the next step that I forgot to take photo's.
    Basically it was measuring up the cut outs for the back panel. The good fortune here (coming from bad luck)
    is that the old back panel can be used to get everything right before the move to the new one.
    I only needed to cut out one expansion slot and get it right to locate all the rest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now satisfied that all's well, the two panels were bolted together and the outlines were transferred across.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the next time I go out to the workshop all this can be cut and filed.

[​IMG]

11. The boy 4rm oz

Nice new idea. Should look sweet.

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I like the new idea. You might need to add some pins or tabs. -so the whole case can be lifted without all the stress on the hinges.

13. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

I found this topic this morning, and I knew I had to read through the whole topic. I did, and I'm amazed :) This is absolutely my style, check Cubeleon for the similarities :hehe:

14. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

awesome. where do you source your alu from in oz?

15. Attila

Thanks b4oz. :)

Yes something will need to be made to lock the two halves and the chassis together at the front. :thumb:

Thanks brinkz0r. I have seen Cubeleon, and I like it. :thumb:

Thanks. I get my aluminium from Capral in clayton but they have outlets elsewhere. :thumb:

16. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

You-do nice work.. very cool :brrr:
    This is a great project..
    I (personally) can only "mod-the box" ..you are going a step beyond that..:thumb: much respect ONB..
    You have my FULL endorsement and my (5) star vote.. I see an MOTM.. in your future..
    rock-on ONB...
    MS

Last edited: 24 Oct 2008
  17. Ashaman

Ashaman M'hael

That home made bending brake is just brilliant! I have to admitt I've stolen that idea and made myself one today. Can't wait untill tomorrow when I can test it a bit, and see if I can bend the things I need for my mod. Made it a bit wider than yours though, can bend sheets thats 600mm wide in it. :D

The mod is also brilliant! I like the design and the work you have done so far. I don't think I've understood the idea on the new mechanism on the back jet, but I'm shore I will when I see a bit more of it. Looking farward to see this think coming togheter.
    5 stars from me too!
    Keep up the good work!

- Ashaman

18. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Do we have 6 stars anywhere? Well met!

19. Attila

Thanks MS., :thumb: But I respectfully disagree. Good work is good work whether it's a mod or scratch build. Sure there are
    more parts to make in a scratch build but quality needs to be high in both and in one sense at least (there are no doubt more),
    being restricted by an already existing case, and making parts to fit can be very difficult indeed.

Thanks Ashaman., :thumb: glad you got some use from those pic's. :)

Thank you. :thumb::)

OK the work starts on the back panel, you know the drill, cut and file.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see the deep file marks that will need to be sanded out.

[​IMG]

The PSU mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just to show the panel can easily support the power supply.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not much room for wiring but I think just enough.

[​IMG]

Now there needs to be some way to get the air that is being sucked in the front out
    the back and not much room for a vent, so an 80mm fan will be put here but I don't
    think this will be enough. So I'll keep thinking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As the shell will be fitted a different way now, the base can be screwed to the chassis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lets put it all together to have a look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just to give you an idea of the size of the chassis.

[​IMG]

20. The boy 4rm oz

I was under the impression this case was a lot bigger. Quite a reasonable size. Looking great mate.