1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Why do makers of memory do this ?

Discussion in 'General' started by mayhem, 23 Oct 2008.

1. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

Oky like every one you buy memory with a heat spreader to help aid the removal of heat is that correct ?

So then why do all makers of memory then suddenly go stick a warranty sticker on that says "Do not remove or you will invalidate you warranty" right across the heat spreader. This is making the point of havening a heat spreader useless because you have introduced another factor to aid the none removal of heat. The stickers you all use are not made of metal they are not thermal conductive in any way yet the sticker size nearly cover 1/2 of the stick or in the case of XMS nearly all of the stick when you include the Big XMS 2 sticker.

Now i fully understand that if people have side windows its a good way of advertising the memory but again its a pointless and fruitless exercise because you in one hand trying to solve a problem and then in the other adding to the problem.

Why don't you instead Etch you name on the metal and use some other form of sticker but not on the product it self. It feels as though your being givin in one hand and taking away with the other.

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

your really ranting about nothing mate.

a little paper sticker isn't going to effect alot.

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

The paper is so thin it doesn't really do anything.

4. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Are you really running your memory so hot that the difference between stable and unstable is that sticker? If so just take it off.

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Because heat spreaders on memory are largely pointless and mostly used to make memory look cooler so they can charge more for it?

6. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

personally i agree, but it follows that if they make it look cooler by putting the spreader on, why put a fug ugly sticker over it? that you can't remove without voiding your warranty.

would you by a lambo with a big 'warranty void if removed' sticker on the bonnet?

7. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

They're Heatspreaders as opposed to Heatsinks. They even the temperature load across all the RAM IC's, so that no one IC gets overly hot.

The higher-end stuff, such as Corsair's Dominator RAM, come with devices that are more like Heatsinks, though they also perform the same function as Heatspreaders.

I agree with LeMaltor - if you're running your RAM ragged, so that cheap heatspreaders no longer cope, then it may be time to upgrade to something with heatsinks.

8. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I would totally take the damn sticker off, and then arrange them neatly on your forehead.

9. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Heatsinks are heatspreaders, and heatspreaders are heatsinks. If anything all you could say is that heatspreaders are small heatsinks. There are plenty of chips in your pc that use part of the pcb as a heatsink, which is alot smaller than a ram heatspreader, but it's still a heatsink.

10. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Ram doesnt need any sort of cooling anyway if you run it at sane volts and if you go beyond that then you are far better off with a fan than any sort of heatsink / spreader.

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

+1

12. MrBadidea

MrBadidea What's a Dremel?

Stop posting.

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

on what grounds do you have to tell me that.

14. dom_

dom_ --->

These ones.

15. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I don't often, really, laugh out loud when on the internet, but that did for me.

16. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

[​IMG]

I see what you did there! But I'm not falling for it!

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Pure class! love it!

18. TX297

TX297 Hey guys have you heard of seenly?

Yes, but considering

I don't think it was intentional.

19. iggy

iggy Minimodder

BUMS!!!!

20. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

So does that mean the best way to cool a hot ic is to not have a heatsink on it, but just a fan blowing a cool breeze on it?

Heatspreaders affect ic's in the same way as a heatsink, the're both designed to absorb and dissipate heat away from the ic, so they both give the same effect, just one is normally larger than the other. If you want further cooling, then using a fan on a heatsink or heatspreader will give much better results than just using a fan on a bare ic. If i had a dollar for everytime people get thier stuff mixed up, such as heatspreaders, heatsinks, then, than, thier, the're, affect, effect, etc, i'd be rich.

Tags: