1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Far Cry 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 23 Oct 2008.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Or just not have DRM in the first place. Yet another should-have game that's forced itself onto my do not buy list. If I have to work to be entertained, then it fails. These kinds of stupid asinine reasons are exactly why DRM drives away would-be legitimate customers, not to mention that it fails at its intended purpose (there are working cracks out for FC2 as of yesterday if not earlier).

2. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

No, even on easy you have to switch between the car and the gun.

My favourite feature of the game is when you get in and out of cars actually. Once I managed to jam my car over the top of a cliff, so if I got out either of the doors then I'd fall to my death. Cleverly, the game recognised this and when I went to get out I instead climbed out of the back of the car automatically.

3. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Now that is clever design (assuming it was by design).

I've tried my best to get my car stuck in all sorts of nooks and crannies but it always seems to let out again. On the other hand, why bother? You are never more than 60yds from another Jeep with a mounter LMG! :)

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

True. When I did it, I was stuck on top of a rock, not wedged in. It was like the scene from the Italian Job (the good one), with the underneath of the car see-sawing on a awkwardly hit rock.

5. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

On my system a simple reboot will take around 10 minutes (old A64 based system which is extremely slow and in dire need of a reformat when I can get around to digging all the discs out). I have enough time after switching my PC on and logging in to go downstairs and make a cup of coffee before it's in a useable state.

It's a dual boot (XP MCE / Vista 64u) and while the Vista start-up is actually a lot quicker than XP, it's unfortunately also a lot more unstable than my XP install and will be until I replace my graphics card (an nvidia 6600GT which is still causing driver issues in Vista even with the latest drivers).

6. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

I've just bought a copy and now have to spend the next 4 hours at work looking at it...

Come on 5pm!!!!

7. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

haha its so easy to beach cars, i've done it numerous times now
    kinda annoying cos it usually happens when im taking a shortcut through the ass end of nowhere and then have to run about 5 miles to the nearest car (this is where numpad 8 comes in handy :p)

have you found the hanglider joe?
    when i spotted it my first reaction was "omg awesome!" then i got in it and promptly flew into the ground :(

8. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Ok heres my first impressions after the first coupla hours

e4500 @ 3.0, 2GB, 8800GT @ 700/1000
    1680x1050 res

After vista service pack 1 warning download and install as i dont have it yet (im a lazy so and so)

Went in to settings and put everything up to ultra with 2xAA, stuck it DX10 and got a black screen and a hud! Also mouse has started to do the horrible lag thing. So i go back into settings and change to DX9 (another restart) and voila! Seems a shame that i miss out on DX10 goodness, I have read somewhere that the beta nvidia driver can improve performance and get rid of DX10 blackscreen issue so i'll try this and let you know.

So i get round to playing (sigh):

I like the graphics despite no DX10, the jungle reminds me of crysis a LOT but i quite like that. The plants seem nice and responsive (although not crysis standard obviously) and the foliage is convincing which is important. The character models haven't exactly blown me away but hey ho.

The gameplay seems good and in particular the controls are nicely laid out. The AI is the one thing that reminds me of the original - unforgiving and keeps you on your toes whilst the environment gives you options all the time; which is more than i can say for some recent shooters (i.e.bioshock).

The sound is excellent, very creepy and keeps you guessing with little whispers of the wind and stuff. The music is very fitting and african whilst remaining tense, im gonna try it with headphones next.

All in all having finally got the thing running im thoroughly enjoying myself so far. It annoys me that what has been released is a half finished product though, the DRM i can cope with but why in gods name does the mouse not work in DX10? and why oh why do we not have full widescreen (which by the way is horrible in vehicles).

I bought Devil May Cry 4 the other week and its happy as larry running everything max in DX10 locked at 60 FPS. I understand that its a different engine with a largely fixed camera etc but it looks amazing (literally frigging gorgeous) in widescreen and ive certainly had no problems with stupid mouse lag. My point is that DMC4 is a CONSOLE game and that Capcom ported it extremely well, so in my opinion Ubisoft who surely have a hell of a lot more experience in PC development should pull their fingers out of their arses and FINISH THE GAME BEFORE RELEASE

phew

9. ginbong

ginbong What's a Dremel?

This is funny my AVG antivirus detected the matroschka_launcher.exe as a Trojan horse Generic11.BIAK

This happened while finishing installing FC2.

SecuROM is actually classified as a Trojan lol...

10. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

First impressions (after to be honest, not much playtime):

- Graphics are crap (and I'm not talking about the brownness). There's a damn good reason this runs faster than Crysis - its not displaying half as much detail. This much time after Crysis launched, I would expect games to approach that kind of detail, instead the game looks like COD4.
    - Mouse responsiveness is ridiculously slow. The first thing I did was to increase the responsiveness as much as possible, it still plays like molasses.

Its early days, but I'm not impressed so far. We'll see how it plays out. :)

EDIT:

And another thing - why are there so many ****ing signposts everywhere? There was even a signpost saying "Safehouse" what the ****? Not exactly realistic, and it makes me think the developers think that I'm a complete ****ing retard.

Last edited: 24 Oct 2008
  11. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

hahah just wait til you've played it some more
    realistic it is not :p

the signposts actually change colour if htey're one of your objectives too (although you can turn it off)

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Probably AVGs heuristic picked its sneaky behaviour.

How is that proverb?
    Walk like a duck, quack like a duck, ...

13. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

It did that with the bioshock demo, i just wished i'd payed attention to it. Took about an hour of web surfing and cursing to get rid of securom

14. karx11erx

karx11erx What's a Dremel?

Well, I took my time to buy and play Farcry 2 myself before judging the game. I have just finished the first (underground) mission where you have to get those files from the railway station, and here's my thoughts so far, which I want to sum up as follows: Another average shooter with the promise of free roaming and variable gameplay that (so far) hasn't kept its promise. In the light of my current experiences the bit-tech.net review seems far too enthusiastic and neglects to mention a few glaring flaws this game has.

One of these is that whereever you travel you will have to fight your way through checkpoints where the guards will shoot at you as soon as they see you, and will chase you with cars with mgs mounted on their rears. That means that all the time you will have to carefully approach these checkpoints, mount your own mg (I stole such a car during the training missions), and wipe them out. Again, and again, and again. Fun? Yeah, the first two times, or make that three if you like. Even the guys who initially gave you some missions after they had picked you in Pala will shoot at you now. If this is caused by some of my actions in the game I wouldn't even be able to tell which.

Then there is the "level", if you want to call it so. Sure, you can "freely" roam 50 square km, but actually you're always confined to a road winding between cliffs you cannot climb or some valley or so offering pretty limited room also. You cannot (usually) circumvent these darn checkpoints or stray far from a road.

The AI is also pretty stupid. Usually they will charge you and run straight into your fire, only having a chance when coming in packs of three or four (unless you're at your car mounted mg ... here packs make life easier for you). Operation Flashpoint has set a standard here that still hasn't been surpassed: You really could roam the entire area (sure, apart from your current mission area it was deserted, but still ...), and the AI kicked seriously ass.

The diamonds? Oh well ... looks like a means of keeping you from getting too powerful gadgets too soon. I'd rather crawl around with my sniper rifle the entire game and have the game built so that it would be challenging even if I have the best equipment with me.

Finally the graphics. Ok, they're not bad, but this looks like yesterday's tech to me. I have a C2D E8500 + HD4870 1 GB system with a 1680x1050 res monitor and it can run Crysis with all settings on high. Sorry, but Farcry looks dated, and the rest of the game isn't convincing enough to make me happy. It's apparently just the Farcry engine, and that one is a few years old.

I own the German version, and while the German voice over isn't entirely bad, it completely ruins that "Africa" feel. It's like the difference between a real beautiful 3D landscape and a flat 2D print of it. Bah. Just think of that "You don't find the Jackal. The Jackal finds you" spoken with that guttural voice and soft, rolling African "r", and then imagine this being spoken in German. It just makes me cringe. (Does anybody have the English sound data for me? Please? Pretty please?)

Maybe the game will change significantly later, but unless it does, it definitely has not deserved the high rating given to it by bit-tech.net. Definitely not.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2008
  15. karx11erx

Dang ... can't I edit my above comment? It could need some fixing ... ^_^

Edit: Yes I can! :)

One funny thing I noticed when playing was that I sometimes was moving superfast, running all the time, mouse reactiveness was extremely high ... funny. Looks like a bug.

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Karx11erx, please(!) use paragraphs.

17. karx11erx

Done. I don't know why there weren't initially. Usually I do use them. Eaten by the (simpler) comment editor? Myself having been carried away typing? Maybe the latter, I feel like half of my being currently is in a different universe ... need more coffee ...

Btw, re-installing the game chosing "English" in the installer treated the game to the English dialogue. Hallelujah!

18. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Been playing this for hours now and agree with above comments on checkpoints and always being near a road, also there's no Lions in the game? It's Africa with no Lions O_O !

19. gdawg304

gdawg304 What's a Dremel?

I have to agree with the posts above...in fact so much so I registered on the forum to comment!

I've been playing for a few hours now. I have everything set to Ultra High, and it is pretty good, but agreed it's not Crysis. Runs smooth though, so great.

I also want to say I play games like Supreme Commander, Civ, and FP perspective, Deus Ex is one of my all time favourites. I like my shooters...but I like games with depth too.

Which leads me to...Malaria? So far this has just been irritating. Trying to run away from rifle wielding soldiers and I have a malaria attack...this is supposed to add depth and fun how exactly? (I know you have to play in with the right factions to get medication but...really? There's no better way to make you choose allegiance?)

And to echo above comments - guard posts and roaming jeeps....another review said this game is like playing Grand Theft Auto with a 3 star wanted rating....*for no reason*. Sure, if you've just shot their pals in front of them they'll shoot. Or if the word is out to get you. But some of these guys are meant to be working for the faction you're helping. They still shoot without question. Seriously...this is annoying. I took on a mission for the gunsmith which involved trekking halfway across the map. I tried driving high speed through the guard posts - i was chased in jeeps with mounted guns and had to stop because my jeep was taking too much damage. I tried driving across country (Where the rocky walls actually allowed me room) and managed to drive off a rock and roll the car onto its roof.

I know the intent may be to break up long driving sections with some excitement but seriously, it's tedious. They're not a huge challenge to kill, they just take up time. I'm happy with the driving. To my mind, "free roaming" games are aimed at people with a little more patience, who can sneak, explore, use different tactics...not necessarily a linear fast paced shooter.

There's a lot of fun to be had, i disagree with people saying it's a bad looking game, even though it's not as pretty as Crysis (Which is a year old and still nothing matches it), and the map is big enough to be intimidating at the start. But it's definitely flawed as it is...maybe when I get further in it'll be more fun but I'd score it a 6 or 7 so far - maybe I'm being biased because I had such high expectations.

I hope Ubi release a patch which stops everyone shooting at first site. Much better if - say - when you have a gunfight, all soldiers within half a kilometre are on alert and will shoot...but if you've kept quiet and you're just driving quietly you get left alone? And a patch that puts lions in it which make night time raids just a bit riskier :-D I guess there's not much to be done about the malaria annoyance.

Credit for not putting mutants or aliens in it though. Crysis is infinitely at its best versus the Korean soldiers and takes a nose-dive into mediocrity once the aliens pop up.

Apologies for long post!

20. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

yeah the wildlife is a huge copout imo
    apparently they decided not to include any predators because it would result in all the prey being eaten
    theres only 3 animals in the game as far as i can tell, zebras, gazelle things and goats
    stalker had like a whole virtual foodchain going on and ubisoft cant even include some lions? maybe a few elephants or monkeys? :\
    its still fun running them over but....

the general feeling i get with FC2 is that theres loads of great ideas, its just lots of them are implemented in a terribly flawed way :(

edit:
    as far as i can tell it doesnt even affect your allegiance if there even is such a thing in the game
    you get malaria pills from the 'underground' who appear to be a completely independant faction who dont do anything in the game except give you malaria pills (i am only about 30% into the game tho so...)
    faction choice seems to be non-existant, you can happily do missions for everyone and anyone, everybody still shoots you anyway...

Rockstar need to make GTA: Mogadishu and show Ubisoft how it's supposed to be done :p

Tags: Add Tags