1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Apple G5 Identity Crisis (Update: 26-10 Testfit & Photo Shoot)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by orry, 24 Aug 2008.

1. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Looks brilliant Orry! :)

Are those screws just temporary though... would look great with some bolts. I always use these guys: http://www.modelfixings.co.uk . I know you are based in Oz but they would probably ship over there if yuo emailed them.

Cyp.

2. orry

orry Modding Addict

Na those screws arnt staying in the back i dont like the look of them just there as i can trash them taking it apart all the time, i want to use some nice allen key heads for the back, may countsink them if i have enough material to play with on the backplate :)

Well i got another DVD writer finally, found the shortest one around shaved 1cm off the depth, doesn't sound like much but i need every bit i can get for the top of the case :)

Also did the mainboard tray mounts tonight, i have been scratching my nut about how to mark out the holes for the tray and i finally came up with the idea of sharpening some threads and screwing them in, mount the tray in the case and give them a whack with the hammer to put a dent in the plate. Worked a treat, at the last minute i decided to use rubber mounts to keep the vibration away aswell :)

Next up the power supply needs fitting along with the mains wiring :dremel::thumb:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Nice way to mount the mobo stand offs.

4. orry

orry Modding Addict

Ok so i did a little more work tonight, cleaned up the HDD cage a bit and removed the bottom mount. The question is what do you guys think about placing it here? I can either go with this spot with the brushed front covers or i can put them up the top next to the power supply (in theory) lol...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Snafu-X-

Snafu-X- What's a Dremel?

Th at spot looks fine, as long as you have enough room behind them for the cable to plug in.

6. orry

orry Modding Addict

Yeah already done test fits it all plugs in nicely at the back and hides the cables, i thought of this spot at the last minute as i was set on putting it up the top but i find myself reconsidering as it would be a pain if i ever needed to put a bigger psu up the top down the track... if i put it in this spot i will have all the room in the world up the top :)

7. orry

orry Modding Addict

Got through a bit more of it, i got the mounts done for the hard drives and mounted it all, the rails are rock solid allowing me to remove the hdd cage from the case easily and also completely isolated from vibration with rubber mounts like the mainboard tray...

I also got all the parts together for the build and put them in my other case to run everything up and setup the raid array and everything, all the parts were picked to be compatible with OSX also.

So far the specs are:

E6550 i had running at 3.5ghz @ 1.28v (500x7)
    OCZ Reaper 6400 8GB of ram @ 2.15v
    XFX 8800GTS 640mb
    3 x 400GB HDD's in raid 0

I have now started gutting the OCZ power supply aswell so i can get the fitting done for the top of the casing :lol: plan so far is to use the existing fan assy that is usually at the top to cool the power supply, the airflow is there for sure with room and mounts for a 80mm aswell as a DC blower fan :clap:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Oct 2008
  8. The boy 4rm oz

Looks good with all the hardware in there.

9. orry

orry Modding Addict

Time for a big update i guess, many things done.....

modified the top of the case to fit a power supply in, i tried many variations but in the end the only way i was going to fit one up top was to modify the top tray and mount it on that, i did it in a way so it will fit other power supplies down the track aswell, tons of room up there. Also extended the power supply wires as they were too short to reach the CPU area. Finally i did all the mains wiring for the power supply, i have mounted a IEC connector in the back of the case with integrated switch and fuse and did a big test fit...

Everything is looking good so far, did a run up on the power supply to make sure everything was wired right and its good to go might put some hardware in tomorrow night and take her around the block :) and look at all that room down the bottom front for some cooling! :brrr:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. The boy 4rm oz

WOW, lots of work. I really like the power switch and socket. Nice clean cuts.

11. orry

orry Modding Addict

cheers mate, i tried to make it look as clean as possible. Still plenty more to come however, need to get it all in there and test fit and figure out the layout for sheet panels and watercooling. I think ill be playing Farcry tonight though on the new rig :)

Last edited: 23 Oct 2008
  12. orry

orry Modding Addict

Pressies arrived today, i loooooooooooove aluminium :rock:

Cant wait to bring everything together :baby:

[​IMG]

13. orry

orry Modding Addict

Test fit is done, im using it as we speak staring inside :) Everything went in exactly as i thought and i played around with a few ideas for cabling...Just a temporary assembly to see how things are shaping up

Anyway i did everything as neat and put the 4870x2 in for some photos. :lol:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. The boy 4rm oz

Looks really good mate. I really like the black and white pics.

15. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Mate this mod is looking sweeter every post! Really nice log you've got going here too, keep up the excellent work because I cant wait to see this one finished. Parts mockup looks great, everything fits in nice with plenty of room left for al the W/C :thumb:

16. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Fantastic looking. Great photos as well! ;) Did you take them yourself?
    Also, you might have mentioned this, but what are you using as a CPU cooler? (sorry, I hate being THAT guy!) That thing is cool looking.

17. orry

orry Modding Addict

hehe thanks guys :)

yeah took the photos myself using my 400D...The CPU cooler is a Coolermaster eclipse, does a good job cooling, puts the board under a bit of load though holding it lol.

18. Bouly

Bouly What's a Dremel?

Beautiful integration, congratulations :clap:

Tags: