1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: PSXPC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modgodtanvir, 30 Oct 2008.

1. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Alright chumps (and chumpettes ;))!

Welcome to Project:
    [​IMG]

It probably comes as no surprise to you, that as a 90's gamer, 50% of my time was spent on the N64, and 50% was spent on the Playstation 1. Over the years, through spontaneous ebaying and Sunday market bargain hunting, I have built up a small collection of PS1 gear:
    [​IMG]
    This is only half of it :p... (seriously)

Also through spontaneous ebaying, I came across this:
    [​IMG]
    Not a bad little toy for £12... Nice and low spec - It features a 1GHz Celeron soldered on, and nothing else. Even the on-board graphics are schockierend - barely XP capable... so I'll be needing a PCI graphics card (something like a Radeon 7000). Also in my arsenal of kit is a 30GB 2.5" IDE Drive, a slim CD-RW laptop drive, some spare RAM and some odd cards including a Soundblaster Audigy SE if I can fit it in (which I doubt).

So you see where this is going.

Spare PS1 + Mini-ITX system = Endless hours of fun

I aim to produce something along the lines of this here projec', except a bit different. I'll be spending a lot more time ruminating over my ideas, so I hope that the final product is a bit more impressive. In due course I'll be revealing clever little ideas I've had and asking your opinion of them. I'm also looking into a paintjob - I currently like the idea of gloss black with chrome highlights... inspired by Sony's current offering. Remember, this will be a long term project which I'll be doing in my spare time, while I struggle to get into Med school...

So without further ado, here is the fine specimen I shall be dismantling:
    [​IMG]
    Perhaps the least pristine of my PSX's... this one features a bad laser and the scars of an attempted green paintjob - courtesy of MGT age 10 :p

Crack her open and remove the CD laser and we're left with:
    [​IMG]
    A PSU (left) and the PSX's motherboard (or whatever they were called in 1997 :p). Looks quite similar to what I'm aiming for, except of course I'll have to do some hacking first :dremel:

Take it out and take a set of pliers to it:
    [​IMG]
    Nice and flat - needs a bit more sanding...

As we can see, it looks to be a snug fit. As an old ITX board, Intel claims it is a 'Mini ATX' board, which means it actually measures 18cm X 19cm... lets hope the extra cm's mean it is a bit faster than the equivalent EPIA board...
    [​IMG]

And popping the cap on:
    [​IMG]
    Not quite there yet - it'll fit if I cut some bits out...I'll need to give the design some thought before I decide to cut out that CD tray...

As you can see, its all very bread and butter so far. In due time, I'll reveal the finer workings of my cunning plan and I will very happily receive any ideas you might have of your own, and any comments and contributions you have to make...

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

YAMM

Yippee! Yet another mini-ITX mod. I'm subed

3. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Yep! Except I doubt I can get a water cooling loop in there... I don't suppose I could borrow Cheapskate :p

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

You can try but he doesn't come cheap - in spite of his name. You saw my PS1 and LCD in my thread. It is still 100% functional. I was educated as an electronics engineer ( 1 of my 3 degrees) and I STILL can't whack into something old that still works. Really cuts down on the options. I have a 1946 Philco radio and record player. My lady/wife Marilyn has a beautiful Victrola from her grandmother.
    I watch.

Tags: