1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Dominator (Lian Li A05-B) updated 10/20/08

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by fstr, 29 Jul 2008.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Excellent work. I love the clean execution and color theme of everything :thumb:

2. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Never heard that expression before, but I found that it means thanks in a dialect, spoken in Namibia :D It's definitely not dutch :hehe:

3. fstr

fstr What's a rotary tool?

I really like working with the aluminum, and experimenting with JB Weld led to more good results. Now if I can just improve my acrylic skills :sigh:
    Thanks for the compliments (and looking through what is now starting to be a substantial number of photos)

Thanks - did you notice your honeycomb mesh in the rear fan grill? You will be seeing more of that soon...

I know it's not Dutch - Its a dialect spoken in South Africa and Namibia. Normally I can have simple conversations with Dutch people. I guess the written word is not as easy, although I can understand what I read in Dutch if I read slowly

4. Omen

Omen What's a Dremel?

Very Nice m8!!

Great attention to detail :rock:

5. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

amazing work.. looks excellent!

6. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

big-bore compression fittings.. :thumb:
    this was only a dream a year ago..
    also, the green acrylic.. Very-cool..
    MS

7. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

I just saw this mod pop up, and had to read it through! Very nice work. I'm amazed that the first pics were on a camera phone, but the later pics are even better... best of all of course is the modding!
    I've never seen that radiator before, I like it. And your mount is fantastic.
    I think your plexi work is great (example: the res holder and especially the tapping. I'd be scared to try and tap that thin a plate.
    The way you integrated the hex mesh with the body of the case is fantastic, and looks especially good after the powder coating.
    All in all :thumb:

8. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

I cant believe Ive missed this.. you get my vote for MOTM!!

9. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Congratz on the MOTM nomination, best of luck.

10. Bullitdodger

Bullitdodger If it ain't broke....Tweak it.

Very cool indeed.
    But the loop, seems.....reversed? Or is it just me?

Other than that....I am green with envy. ( Pun intended ;-)

11. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Very nice work..
    Sorry, it did not notice your project until it hit the MOTM..
    By the way, I am from Chicago as well. Its a small world..

12. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Your work is top notch. Congrats on the nomination as well, best of luck to you!

13. ZeroG

ZeroG What's a Dremel?

MOTM Nominee

Baie geluk met MOTM!!!

Wat maak jy daar in die states? - LOL

I really like this mod - very clean with good attention to detail.

Some more pics plz!!:clap:

14. fstr

Thank you so much for the MOTM nomination, voting and encouragement. I never expected to generate so much excitement with this mod.
    But in the end I am just happy that you all are taking the time to look. And a special thanks to all reading my ramblings and a HUGE thanks to those of you that respond with all manners of encouragement!

Thanks!

:thumb:

It's so much fun working with the fittings. As they say "once you go big bore, you won't go back". No wait, that's not it, but it should be... :naughty:

The mesh was an experiment and it worked out great. Now I wish I can switch the case around so that I can see it as it will mostly be hidden.
    Thanks for taking the time to write such an encouraging message!

Thanks for the vote. Now if I can only rig the polls...
    Maybe you can sign up as your sister, mother, uncle etc and vote some more...
    LOL

Thanks - and the same to you. But it may not matter - we are getting our asses handed to us! I guess I will have to go back and work harder!

The loop is Pump2 > rad > cpu > res > pump1 > pump2
    LOL - I'm sure you can find some medicine for the "green-ness".
    Thanks!

Small world indeed - how's your "indoor modding facilities" to keep you going through the winter? I will have to get a space heater for the garage so that I can keep it up.

Thanks!

Dankie man - dis die plek om te wees as jy hou van toegang en goedkoop rekenaar komponente!

15. The boy 4rm oz

Yep we really have had our asses handed to us. Oh well, there is always the next mod ;).

16. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

This is really impressive stuff - very well fabricated. Keep up the good work. :thumb:

17. fstr

Wilco - expect more updates soon!

Last edited: 5 Nov 2008
  18. fstr

Mini-update. (No pics just boring words!)

This past weekend I put it all together to do some performance testing. Now I know it is not really part of the work log to talk about this, but I know some of you are interested in the performance (I know I secretly had some concerns). And for me a mod still needs to remain functional otherwise it is pointless.

Disaster struck almost immediately after I filled the loop - one of the pumps died! So I decided to push on as it is a PITA to drain the loop and figure out the problem. More on this later...

So let me just cut through all of the boring details and state the following summary - I used Orthos and Real temp for testing. At 100% load on a E8400 @ stock with one pump running @50% (6v) (and keep in mind the loop is getting blocked by the second non-running pump) and rad fan running 4v, the temp never rose above 39C.

I was shocked to say the least, so I bumped the FSB to run the CPU at 3.6GHz (3 stock) and same voltage. This time the temp rose to 41C

At this point I decided to stop testing for now to go back and figure out why the pump was broken.

So I drained the loop. This sucked so I decided that I wil install a drain valve to make it easier in future (check back next week for this).
    As soon as I had the pump removed, I realized that the problem is with a loose wire, not the pump. I could have saved myself a lot of pain if I just checked the fan header plug first. But you live and learn...

This coming weekend I will work on wiring, the drain valve, and putting it all together again. (and I will have a bunch of pics again!). Until then - happy modding!

19. The boy 4rm oz

Damn mate that really sucks. On well, you can fix it now and get it up and running again.

20. spenc259

spenc259 in the build stage!!!

This is some project mate... love the colour scheme, will be doing something similar colour wise but ill be using orange instead:thumb:

well done on the MOTM nomination...got my vote...u deserve it just on build quality alone...

Tags: