1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel's Core i7 920, 940 & 965 processors

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Nov 2008.

1. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I was about to ask, the Q6600 was in the CPU table, but not the CPU price table nor in the test results, was this omitted because of your errors?

Or did i miss where it was said that it was not in the benchmarks?

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

:miffed: I edited that CPU table first thing this morning!! WTF

I've changed it again :)

3. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

So we wont be seeing how the q6600 held up?? :(:( I have one clocked at 3.2 and would love to see where that put it! :D

4. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Hm, not too shabby, but I'll not leave the AMD camp any time soon. Hell, someone has to support them, right?
    But yes, it'll be interesting to see if AMD are able to pull something amazing out of their collective hats (or a$$es if you find that more fitting). Still, seems like Intel has raised the bar, and I just hope AMD are able to follow up on the challenge.

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

There were a couple of bumps along the way with the Q6600 (both stock and OC), but we're working on them and will add them in as soon as we're done.

6. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

Yes - I would love to see that as well. I think there are quite a few of us with Q6600 clocked at 3.2 Ghz wondering what the benefits of an upgrade will be.

Good article, would have liked a bit more info on overclocking capabilities even if no supporting benchmarks. I suppose a lot is going to come down to the motherboard capabilities on this one.

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

Cosmic: Overclocking information will follow well before you can buy the CPUs - it's coming later this week in fact. :)

It's been a stretch to get this done for today following the decision to bring the embargo forwards by a not insignificant amount of time. We'd got between four and six articles (depending on timing) planned for the original launch, but that all had to be scrapped when we got gimped by the embargo change. It sucks for you because there's lots you want to know and it sucks for us because there's lots more we want to tell you but unfortunately haven't had the hours in the day to get the answers.

8. Matticus

Matticus ...

NIce article, I can't imagine the time involving doing all of that.

Every time something new comes out I see that its a nice improvement (unless its an amd cpu, teh hee) but it seems to be such a small increase each time and its so bloody often.

I would like to see them go away for 18 months/2 years and come back with something 4 times faster and used half the power, not 50% faster every 6 months. It just tempts me to upgrade so much and I don't have the funds, it also serves to confuse the market and those who aren't up to date with the news will have no idea what is going on.

9. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Oh come on, everyone knows CPU means diddly squat for games. At 1920x1200 or even 1680x1050 you might as well use an AMD dual-core and not be the wiser.

Anyways, how about some overclocking tests?

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Core i7 920 @ 3.6GHz suit you? :naughty:

11. [- pio -]

[- pio -] Minimodder

The norwegian site hardware.no have managed to run an i7 920 stable @ 4.0 GHz :D Got a 3DMark06 score of 6539 with an 8800GTX

12. salesman

salesman Minimodder

Nice article guys. Even if I don't upgrade I greatly enjoy the read; I'm looking forward to your coming articles.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

14. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Meh. It's a step forward, yeah, but a small one. Good article, but I fail to get impressed by the results. With all the new-super-mega technology costing several hundred percent more, one could expect performance to increase accordingly. Time to look for what AMD will offer next.

15. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

4.1!!

Right, that's it!! I'm not letting CPC get the better of me! >_< Challenge is oooooooooon!

17. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i'll wait for the DFI board then i'll sell my kidneys and get me the 920.......................

but yeah, running on Q6600@ 3.6 here... need to know how big the difference is with a 3.6 920 :) or maybe with a 3.2 965, really.... if the Q6600 can still beat it in gaming, then its not worth upgrading......

...but if a 3.2 i7 can beat a 3.6 penryn... :D

18. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

/me watches bindi write 45MEGAHURTZ in MsPaint on a screenshot :p

19. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I've been debating about doing a complete upgrade (current kit is an x2) and I think the i7 overclocking performance has sealed the deal, If I can drop the extra 100-200 I would need to spend over a core 2 quad system

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've got numbers for a Q6700 @ 3.33GHz if you like.

I've also got to get a-hold of a Q6600 and set it to 3.0GHz - that was the usual oc (266-333FSB).

Tags: Add Tags