1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official Bit-Tech F1 2008 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 26 Feb 2008.

1. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Yep, it's crap but at least next year, if you miss it, it'll be on iPlayer

2. Sumanji

Sumanji What's a Dremel?

OOI, is there any statement from Toyota or Glock explaining what mysteriously went so wrong on the final corner...?

/me waits for eyes to be pecked out by ravenous Hamilton fans...

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Sheeesh what a race.
    What happened to Glock? Don't know - he says it was the dry tyres giving him a headache in the alst couple of laps when it started raining.
    GREAT driving from most drivers, though: Vettel was REALLY driving well (especially the way he shot past lewis in the last couple of laps... WOW), Glock was driving well, Hamilton was keeping his cool and driving what seemed to be a safe race right until the end (wow, when he was trying to close that gap, the late braking almost caused trouble), Massa, Raikonnen and even Kovolainen was driving well.
    only thing that disappointed me a bit was the incident in turn 1 taking out Coulthard... what a pity, and much respect to the man for handling that blow like he did... in the interview 2 minutes later he was completely relaxed again.
    Also - Massa gained new respect (after he lost some in the "all 3 incidents on the track that i was involved in were not my fault" story 2 races back) when he uttered the words "that's racing" in the press conference...
    oh, and my thought for the day: "MCLAAAREEEEN"...

Last edited: 3 Nov 2008
  4. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

Yeah, Mclaren and Hammilton came close not to winning, when Lewis let Kubica past as he was lapped anyway thats when Timo Glock shot past him and i thought it was gone. I was litteraly jumping in my chair, But luckily Hammilton kept his cool and overtook him again.

Did you see at the end he couldn't get his steering wheel back on and i thought he wouldn't be able todo it and would get disqualified lol.

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

LOL
    yeah... but i'm sure he was a nerve wreck. He said that he didn't know until after the finish when he entered turn 1 that he finished 5th.
    after that it was also amusing to see how long he kept his helmet on.
    what a race, though. Edge of the seat for the last 10 laps...
    Was also really funny to see the red-car-fans disappear out of the bar where i was watching before the press conference started. One second, the Ferrari people are cheering, next minute everyone that's wooting for McLaren jumps up screaming. By the time it's over, the bar is only filled with McLaren supporters...

6. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Here's how that last lap unflolded:

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/pdfs/hamiltonchampion.pdf

So for all those naysayers (read - Tifosi), Timo didn't let Lewis by - he was genuinely overtaken. :p

As for the fact that Massa won more races - did he hell. Lewis won Spa, regardless of the 'official' result. Had the stewards not interfered, Lewis would have been champion in China, and have 6 wins. :)

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Exciting but not the result I wanted.

8. identikit

identikit Minimodder

It was pretty much the entire final lap. Having started it on the wet part of the circuit grip would have been bad, then he never really got the confidence back to push hard on the dry section of track. When he came back to the last few corners his car was all over the place.

Anyway I loved Bernie's pre-race chat about it getting harder and harder to get the championship decided at the last race of the season.

9. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Glock's final lap was 20 seconds slower, he just said he couldn't drive it anymore (paraphrasing), he didn't even know who passed him.

When you saw the rain on the final lap, you can kinda see why he was having some issues.

Good on Hamilton though, after such a controversial year and being shafted by the FIA, very good. (btw, anyone else notice that there didn't seem to be any stewards watching the race?!).

Has anyone else heard Bernies idea about the drivers championships? He wants to ditch the points system (constructors will still get them) and the drivers get medals for their positions, and whoever has the most wins at the end of the season wins the championship....so basically everyone will drive to win, BRILLIANT!!!

10. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Just making it easier for Ferrari to win? After all, FIA does stand for Ferrari International Assistance, doesn't it?

:p

11. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I really hope that Ferrari rot! Sabotaging massa... hmpf!
    If only he scored in one of the races that Ferraris wasn't helping him, he would be the world champion.

That's why I NEVER cheer for the scuderia, always for the pilot himself!

12. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

First off what a tense race, I was screaming at the TV for the last few laps.. Fair play Lewis!!!

But what's all this talk about the BBC ruining the F1 coverage??!!! This is just crazy talk!!! I mean we'll have unbroken coverage (ad breaks every 10 mins with ITV sucks!) and just look at the BBC's coverage of the MotoGP, great team with excellent production and iPlayer if you somehow manage to miss it. It can only be a good thing for motorsport fans here in the UK.

13. alextwo

alextwo <a href="http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p

Not sure how accurate they are, but I've heard rumours that the BBC won't actually be at the races and it'll all be done from a studio in London. Hope it's not true though, ad free F1 is very welcome!

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

15. sesterfield

sesterfield What's a Dremel?

Just wow. What a race and a deserving champion. If he'd have drew on points with Massa it'd have made the Bourdais penalty decisive and even more outrageous!

I've not had time to check this, but I've been told that Glock's final lap was faster than Trulli's which indicates there was no foul play!

16. Mother-Goose

When I saw that, it did make me wonder how long DC has been porking Louise Goodman. (brilliant video though)

17. Sumanji

Sumanji What's a Dremel?

I love all the Ferrari bashing going on here :p

I've been a fan of theirs since the mid 90's when Alesi and Berger drove for them and they used to win jack sh*t. Every rare podium finish had me jumping up and down like a schoolboy (well, I was a schoolboy then so...). And then of course the Schumacher era came, and it wasn't so fun to watch when we won everything! But it's cool now where one driver isn't dominating everything, and there are teams like McLaren and BMW with real shots at the constructor's championship.

Roll on next season!

18. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

I think Hamleton is one the best drivers ever but i don't think his competition in the form of Massa and Alonso are really that far behind him. and its going to make for an interesting time over the next few seasons.

19. Mother-Goose

I'm an ardant Honda Fan so I was going doubly mental at the brit GP, Hamilton won and Rubens on the podium as well!

20. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

I was just saying to my friends how interesting the F1 has become within the last 2 years. No longer do we have landslide victories, which always makes things far more exciting.

Tags: