1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple The "I got a mac, and I don't know how to do things" thread.

Discussion in 'Software' started by will., 30 Oct 2008.

1. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

So, I finally fell to the call of Steve Jobs and his Booms and bought a macbook.

Mainly for doing the occasional bit of freelance on.

Does anyone else do the web design thing on a mac? I've got Photoshop on the way, but I'm reluctant to use Dreamweaver. I really dislike the WYSIWYG view, it's buggy and slows things down having to constantly refresh it even if it's not visible! But I do find auto complete really handy.

So, a step up from Notepad (or whatever it is on a mac) but far more slimline than Dreamweaver.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: 4 Nov 2008
  2. MixWizard

MixWizard Minimodder

you can try SciTE which i use on my windows machine, but am sure that there is a mac version about for it

3. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

4. will.

Text mate looks good. I'll give that a try out tonight. Cheers :)

5. RTT

RTT #parp

textmate is the daddy, i work exclusively in that

xcode isn't bad either actually

Last edited: 30 Oct 2008
  6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

textmate and debug with FireFox and Firebug... that's what i've seen running in screencasts a lot.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

textmate, or Dreamweaver code mode (you can set dreamweaver to show the code only (with color coding), and work with that).

8. will.

Yea, but it's a really heavy program to just run in code view. Textmate is great though. I'm having trouble with working out what it can really do though. I get the feeling I'm not using it properly. That said, I have no idea how I even installed it, it just downloaded and then kinda worked... Macs are confusing for people used to doing things in a complicated long-winded way on Windows.

Oh, actually that reminds me. Does anyone know of a decent alternative to Grabit? (not the screenshot program, that's snaggit)

9. RTT

RTT #parp

If you just downloaded textmate and it somehow launched, you're probably running it out of the disk image (.dmg) you downloaded. Drag it from the disk image into your Apps folder where it belongs :) (then unmount and chuck the .dmg in the trash can)

To use textmate properly it's all about the macros and bundles, check those out under the bundles menu :D That should start you on your way

10. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

textmate is so fricking awesome. the only time i have ever been remotely tempted to buy a mac was after using it on a friends machine.

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Textmate > all for writing code. CSSEdit is also worth owning. All I ever use, and 98% of my work is done in textmate. I have enough snippets that I've made so that it practically writes my code for me. The one thing that I don't especially care for in Textmate is its autocomplete system (it doesn't have the little tabbed-out dropdown menu like every other IDE on the planet does) but after getting to know how powerful it is for everything else, that's only a very minor niggle.

I wouldn't hesitate to call it the best text editor on the planet, bar none. And I would have said that a year ago, back when I was only using about 2% of its functionality. I've got a couple of useful snippets on my blog that might set you in the right direction for making your own snippets/bundles if you go that route (auto get-set pairs for php classes, automatic div comment labels for html, etc.

I own a license to Coda, but don't use it much anymore. The makers of CSSEdit are making a new product called Espresso that looks to sort of combine Textmate and CSSEdit and target Coda, but I've played with the beta and it's very much a beta. I also have inside information about the next version of Coda as I'm on their beta list as well, but it sounds like the next release isn't far off so I won't spoil anything.

Anyways, re:grabit - the screencasting thing? I use Screenflow, which is awesome. For normal screenshots, I just use the built-in system-wide hotkeys for grab, which default to Cmd+Shift+4 to save a selection to the desktop as a png, and if you hit space while you have the crosshairs then it turns into an app grabber. If you use 3 instead of 4 in either case then it copies it direct to the clipboard.

12. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Dreamweaver is the only one I've found that doesn't suck.

13. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

textmate and cssedit, or coda. best evar

14. will.

Anyone know if you can set certain applications to close when you click close. For example, I'm happy keeping firefox running, but I'd rather photoshop didn't.

Also, does anyone know if I will have a problem using a NAS drive with a mac and a PC, and does anyone have a suggestion for a good NAS drive.

15. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

http://www.e-texteditor.com/ :lol:

will: No problems sharing a NAS drive between a mac and a pc.

16. RTT

RTT #parp

The best thing to do (especially on a notebook) is to just use the keyboard to close apps. Cmd+Q will fully close any app. One of my favorite things about OS X is the ability to do almost everything via keyboard shortcuts :thumb:

Have you actually ever used E? It is, or at least was, the buggiest piece of **** I've ever come across. I hope it has got a lot better than it was a year ago. I suppose it was still beta then, though.

17. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

hold control, option, command and 8 to invert the screen, then everything is inverted. Neat trick, fun to use on friends as they get very confused and can never find out how to fix it... Same command brings it back to normal too

18. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

Meh, TextMate has nothing on Emacs.

19. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

Depends to you want to edit text, or replace everything else on your system

20. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

Oh do tell me what text editing features TextMate has that are better than Emacs’s. And I hope you do realise that all the Emacs modules aren’t compulsory? If you don’t want them don’t install them.

Tags: