1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Amazon launches Frustration-Free Packaging

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 4 Nov 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I'm not too fussed. My Ka-Bar takes care of any and all niggly packaging in seconds.

3. naokaji

naokaji whatever

About time, especially for pc parts in the uk as there are no decent retail shops anyway, which means we all order online, so all those overboard retail packagings are just annoying and dont even boost sales.

4. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

A good move, I'm of the opinion that excessive packaging should be legislated against if anyone high up is actually serious about this environment thing.

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Excessive packaging is legislated against, which is the reason why games are now sold in DVD-style boxes rather than the massive boxes of yesteryear (something to do with the packaging misrepresenting the actual amount of contents in the box).

What I hope this means is that boxes will now be designed to be easily opened. I hate those boxes that have no easily identifiable opening flap, or those that have three or more layers of packaging (cardboard box, blister pack, baggies, baggies within baggies, ad infinitum)

I tend to buy OEM where I can, just to cut down on the amount of crap packaging and useless extras (that I never use, anyway).

If MS are part of the scheme, does that mean we're going to get sensible, easy to open boxes for Windows 7?

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Not something that will take off in high street shops, I'm afraid. Packaging is purposely designed to be hard to open to discourage theft of its contents.

7. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i cant stand the enormous staples on the side of most large boxes hopefully they will be gone soon enough

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Just as big an irritation as sealed-for-life blister packaging is the fact that although the clear plastic is marked 'recycle' our council will not take it in the recycle bin. Plastic bottles only.

But Nexxo is right, the big blister packs are (a) to see exactly what you're getting, (b) to make it slightly harder to pinch the goods.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

'Tis actually a big marketing lie. The recycle symbol does not mean that an item can be recycled - at least, not always.

If the symbol has a 1 in the middle, it's recyclable at little to no cost.
    If the symbol has a 2 in the middle, it's recyclable at a slightly greater cost than you'll get for the end material.
    If the symbol has a 3 in the middle, it's economically unfeasible to recycle.
    If the symbol has a 4 in the middle, it cannot be recycled yet - we don't have the technology required.

Next time you get something with plastic packaging, look at the number in the recycling symbol embossed in the plastic. I guarantee it'll be a 4.

10. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I've noticed that in recent months, Amazon has reduced its packaging materials as well. No longer do I receive huge boxes with single DVD purchases!

11. Stuey

Where are you getting this from?

Recycling codes (at least in the US) span from 1 to 7 and designate the type of plastic the material is composed of.

LINK

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Hrm. In that case, I sit corrected. I honestly can't remember where I got my information from, but it was clearly an unreliable source.

13. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

For those of us with arthritis and other problems with our hands, it's a great thing.

14. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

He's right. According to this site:
    1 means the product is made from PET;
    2 for HDPE (high density polythene);
    3 for PVC;
    4 for LDPE (low density polythene);
    5 for PP (polypropylene);
    6 for PS (polystyrene);
    7 for anything else.

Anything with a 4 and above is commonly not recycled because of the difficulty involved in the recycling process. There is also the fact that many councils don't recycle all plastics because unless they're separated at source, it is actually quite labour intensive to separate by hand, which may actually make the recycling process financially unviable.

15. Gareth Halfacree

That's probably what my addled brain turned into "four cannot be recycled."

16. Stuey

No problem. I was just afraid that either you were correct, or there were different codes on different continents or something like that.

17. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

I Welcome the plain cardboard box. With a white sticker on the outside. That way they can have 1 (One) on display outside the box with info underneath. Why does everything i buy seems to have "go faster" packaging anyhoo? I remember getting my laing pump and most of my watercooling gear in plain cardboard boxes. With a sticker on the outside specifying what it does. That is all I need.

18. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

This makes good sense to me. There's no real need to advertise a product on its own box, because by the time you're that close to the object, there's no reason for there not to be a display sample and spec sheet set up in the store (and it's even easier online).

19. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Especially if it comes to pcs where the retail shops are going the way of the dodo and when ordering online it really doesnt matter.

20. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

because an array of brightly colored shiny stuff catches your eye a lot better than a wall of brown boxes. for mail-order shopping packaging is not a marketing tool but as long as the product is on store shelves the manufacturer is going to want attractive packaging.

Tags: Add Tags