1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News First Look: Corsair's new DHX+

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Nov 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

looks like the old version has more surface area - shouldn't that mean the older version be better for cooling?

Like the more integrated look though

3. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

My thoughts exactly.

4. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

But these ones look like they can be removed... making easier to use 3rd party waterblocks.

When I tried to remove the heatsinks from my Dominator ram I accidentally pulled the ram chips off with it.
    Luckily Corsair ended up sponsoring me with naked RAM instead.

5. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

I'd toss the removable top parts in a bath of lye to strip the anodizing off them and then have them chromed...

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I think that's the idea. The cooling performance should be about equal because the mass of aluminium is greater and low voltage DDR3 for Core i7s doesn't produce that much heat tbh

7. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

"it's got screws n everything"

rofl, absolutely brilliant!

oh yeh, nice idea on the ram bla bla bla

8. MgM*

MgM* What's a Dremel?

Heat discipation is imparative but with tri channel memory on the new i7 chips, realestate might be an issue, the shear bulk of the overhead heat sink or liquid cooling gear clusters the ram ports. When passively cooled it makes it even worse when multiple sets are used, Im sure more work can be done on slimmer designs. lets hope corsair lives up to their performance reputation in the new race for "DDR3".

9. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

i can see this working with one block effectively cooling 2 or more ram sticks. Might need a custom cooler though. Imagine removing the tops and slapping on a water block that is not as restrictive as those tiny ones we have today.
    *goes off to figure out how

10. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@Spaceraver - I was thinking the same thing actually - shouldn't be too long now before someone comes out with a cooler

11. SupReme

SupReme Message is over there ->

I think Corsair really tought about this one... Since most of the airflow is coming from the right, this is the least restrcitive for the airflow, and thus the most effective. I like the look of the old ones better though...

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Airflow comes from the side-panel inwards too, and Dominator 2 kits come with an updated top-down cooling fan with 2x60mm fans.

Tags: Add Tags