1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Open Xchange gets $9 million in funding

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Nov 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

The sky is falling!

No really it is, I see lots of open source coming through the sky.

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

This definitely is the right direction.

4. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

I don't think buisnesses will switch, I think it's Microsofts tech support and the insurance of that, wich keeps costomers coming. You don't get that security with openoffice.

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

This has nowt to do with open office, businesses are tied to MS because of the general fear of trying something different. Most large companies have foss somewhere in the business and more than one linux provider has made a very good business by selling the kind of insurance companies want and its not the kind of thing your thinking off.

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

All the open source stuff is very bad for business, jobs and all other things related to that. In the end its a worldwide disaster to happen, when we all use free open source software, company's go bust, no more employments, no more income, no more consumers shopping for stuff, more company's go bust, like supermarkets and such.

Just like people who think oil is evil for the environment and want all oil banned from their lives and go "green" but these short minded green fools forget that oil is used in EVERYTHING from food to medical stuff. and not ONLY as fuel. Morons...

:naughty:

Last edited: 10 Nov 2008
  7. RTT

RTT #parp

Obiwan that's a very narrow minded view. Don't forget you're using the internet which is largely powered by open source software and just look how many businesses and jobs that is responsible for.

How is it a bad thing if a business that may currently suffer from less-than-par resources suddenly has an option available for a fraction of the cost? Big companies will still pay for Exchange (etc) because they need the support and reliability that comes with it. They need someone to ring at 3AM to say "help, we're screwed right now". And, of course, new businesses will spring up who offer support on the open source software - just like RedHat & Ubuntu are doing. Plus, if it gets big, you'll find it'll be picked up by a big company like Sun who will provide jobs for the developers. It's not all bad, far from it :)

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I took him as being sarcastic, maybe i'm just an optimist.

9. RTT

RTT #parp

Haha, well if he was being sarcy then he got me good and proper :D

10. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

All my post are mostly sarcastic. Its my type of humor. But next time i will sign off with a :naughty: smile so you will know what mood i am ;)

11. fantastic dan

fantastic dan Minimodder

Have any of you used or looked at Open Exchange? It's not free. Granted from what I can see it's cheaper than exchange when you factor in CALs but it's still going to be reasonably pricey to impliment. Open Exchange are going to need to show a mighty good ROI reduction and a bulletproof migration plan if they want to drag people away from exchange. It's a tier 1 application for many companies where cost of down time per hour is 6 figures plus.

I'd say their best bet is to look to smaller rather than larger shops where they will be more flexible in their groupware requirements.

Edit: Wow, didn't realise I was bringing up such an old thread. This was on the front page?

Last edited: 27 Oct 2009
Tags: Add Tags