1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Matriarch [HDD rack 17 Nov]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by acey, 30 Oct 2008.

1. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

Back again after 2 months to piece all random images in my head for this. Matriarch came along with Paperazzi but opted to work on Paperazzi first. Nearly started it while in the early stages of Paperazzi but went against the idea. Paper is the main sculpting material again but won't be used on the whole case. Same case as the one in Paperazzi. Got scratched quite badly so my friend offered it to me for only 35 bucks (12 USD) instead of 110 that I paid for the first case. Wanted an ASUS case (not those fugly shaped ones) which is uber simple and nice to cut, but doesn't have any stock from the supplier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This what its going to be like, so you figure it out in your head. I don't do renders since its all in my head and I have problems putting ideas onto paper or softwares. The in/out airflow will remain the same as my last 2 mods are except this time the HDD will be moved to the top panel, outside of the case.

[​IMG]

These will go to the left panel and the front panel. I still haven't done any for the top panel, not sure if I want to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Base extension will be using 5 of these. Keyboard and mouse slider will be underneath the case on some UV green AcrylPanel. Will be getting them legs from another friend's shop for 50 bucks (about 15 USD). Customer accidentally broke his glass stand few months back. Well, my gain. The screws fit perfectly into the holes on the bottom panel.

[​IMG]

Got my prize pack for July MoTM courtesy of AC Ryan (a big thanks to them and those who voted for Paperazzi). There are 2 AcrylPanel (UV Green & Blue) and 2 AluPanel (brushed green and gold) but going with UV Green and brushed green panels for Matriarch. So yeah, its gonna be black with green for the whole theme. Just stripped some parts off last nite, wanna cut into the chasis first before stripping the rest. Scroll on.

[​IMG]

This is where most of 5-litre worth of paper go to. This is the first sculpt I made for Matriarch. Its the chest and neck. Will be mounted/glued to the left panel after its done. Inserted 2 tubes to allow wires to run all the way up for a simple LED set up. My chair actually squashed the thing once when it slipped, so had to redo it, after the chair has its share of bouncing off the walls a couple of times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 17 Nov 2008
  2. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

+1 black dragon, the Matriarch herself. Since its a she, I won't give it an "im-gonna-eat-your-momma" look. She'll have a proud/cocky look instead. Had to leave the gap open to run the LEDs in and then cover it up, leaving a gap for the glow. More or less based on this red dragon sketch from D&D (I don't play it, I know nuts about it, don't ask me about it)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Goin up slowly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Additional minor details

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There will be 3 lines for LEDs in her head, the permanent running ones will be the on/off indicator LED and the line for another single LED. The third line of 2 LEDs will serve as a backup, well, just in case (idea credit goes to p0Pe). Two small piece of slightly-bent UV green AcrylPanel will be her eyes. Still a lot of detailing to do for both the chest and neck right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The whole idea is to have Matriarch popping out of the left panel, claw marks and claws next to it to reveal a bit of the insides, and one wing and tail for the right panel. Another set of claw marks and claw will be on the front panel (that's why I didn't karate the doors off the panel this time) for top-front intake.

Instead of working on the exterior of a stock keyboard, gonna strip it, take the insides, and build my own keyboard that will be part of the case along with the mouse. That will be worked only at the end of the mod. The keyboard and mouse panel will be stuffed under the case itself with an extension to the base.

Thats all for now. Be back soon.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

4. starbee

starbee BRNO 4ever

nice work :thumb:

5. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

Thx guys. This will take quite some time

6. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Alright, I'm subscribed to this. It's looking good, and I marveled at your last one! Congratulations again on winning MotM. I can't wait to see those front and side panel designs going on as well. Are you doing the plexi cuts here yourself? What are you planning on using for tools.
    The matriarch herself is coming out nicely, I like the details of the head and the tubing for the wires! and backup leds?! SWEET! Thinking ahead...

7. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

very nice.
    and grats on the MotM win.

8. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

Thanks mate. The backup LED idea came from modder Pope (of Project DNA). The side panel designs will be cut directly on the panel itself, cornered with the AluPanel on the outside, and both layers bolted straight to the uncut uv green AcrylPanel on the inside of the panel. Well, I'm running on my repaired dremel only so far. Currently just taking out those irritating criss-crosses on the chasis, takes quite some time tho its small job cos I don't wanna risk shorting the dremel again.

Thanks for the grats :D

Updates, no pix yet:
    • The chest and head detailing are almost done. Bulkier than the current pics.
    • Yet to buy some resistors, paint stripper, more cutting discs, spray paint, and screws. Freakin broke.
    • Claws and tail still drying.
    Changes:
    • Moving both the HDD and ROM onto the top.
    • Open air, layered plexi cages for both :hehe:
    • Swapping panels due to the fugly intake holes on the default left one.

9. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

Great work there mate, my next mod, will be using a skeletal dragon so will be watching this one for sure :)

10. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

Cool. Alert me here when you started. That ain't threadjacking haha

Neck-Chest Part II

Some minor detailing on the chest up to about an inch off the tip of the neck. Still somemore to do.

[​IMG]

Head Part II

Now this has grown. With some simple add ons while waiting for my dremel to cool. Some extensions to the sides and top

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then some more detailing yesterday. Horns added just an hour ago. Squeeze mold again like Paperazzi's front panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tail Part I

Done on the night the worklog started. Broke into two parts yesterday and got it fixed today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here I do it like the test mold 'horn' in Paperazzi with the rib thing. Not finished yet.

[​IMG]

Claw Part I

Um.. claws. To be refined.

[​IMG]

Front Panel Part I

Have been waking up very late into the afternoon these few days so didn't do much cuts. Only finished cutting the redundant stuffs out of the chasis so started a bit on the front panel claw marks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Btw, its stuck and the cutting disc wont go through the whole piece. Any idea how to get rid of them? Can't pop them off either.

Finally, some little Paint thing I did for the HDD enclosure. UV green AcrylPanel. The feets will be done using paper (notice the little dots thingy in the Tail section?)

[​IMG]

Thats all for now. Hope I can get up early tomorrow. Go get my resistors and workbench first.

11. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

EXCELLENT! Very well sculpted red dragon, can't wait to see the rest of the case.

<-- way too much D&D here...

12. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

Thx Kay. Its gonna end up black instead of red lol

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Thats just plain awesome!

14. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

Heyyyyyyy, you is back to watch the acey make them silky smooth again. Come back soon, there will be more fizzy bubblech cos the acey just got new workbench and drill. :dremel:

15. starbee

starbee BRNO 4ever

i'm from Czech republic,so sorry but HAFO HAFO,it means something as a lot of (very)good work

16. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

Thank you. Hafo hafo.. hmm sth new.

Some minor updates. Woke up really late today so didn't do much and was running around town last 2 days.

Testing testing...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left Panel Part I

[​IMG]

Epitome of laziness.. not done drilling yet. Probably will finish drilling tomorrow and start cutting out one of them first. I think I screwed up one of the holes near the edge of one of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neck-Chest Part III

Just patched them together 2 nights ago and inserted wires into one of the tubes. The push kinda broke the neck and glued it back just now while waiting for the drill to cool.

[​IMG]

Thats all now. Very hungry. Time to eat.

[​IMG]

17. whansen02

whansen02 What's a Dremel?

You know acey, all I've got to say is YOUR AN ABSOLUTE ARTIST MAN!:thumb:
    Right on. I look forward to your updates.
    :rock:
    Will ........... ccna certification training kits

18. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

Thanks mate. More of a visual modder to compensate for my cutting and bending skills (oh you'll see how horrible they are very soon lol)

Some updates tomorrow. Planning to work on the cuts from 9-6 today since I missed out yesterday.

19. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

Some mixed updates. Worn out from workin on it for 5 continuous hours yesterday. Snapped the neck again after attaching it cos don't really like how the LEDs are sitting in the head. The eyes are from this extra piece. Cut and snapped off and then filed the edge. Inserted the eyes into the sockets from the inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Test wiring the LEDs. Wired 4 into the head, the plan was a 2 live and 2 backups as mentioned before but 4 gives a better glow so have to go get more LEDs tomorrow and redo the wires. Thanks to rendermandan and froop for the guides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost finished cutting one side of the alupanel for the left panel (bottom). Been working like 10 hours on it for the past 3 days and now halfway into the other half.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not smooth at all, I think I need to have my balls reattached when it comes to using the dremel after almost a year of not touching it. But I got other plans for the cut out once its done :naughty: Doesn't seem to fit the theme so... paper will come in again.

As for the HDD rack that will go on top of the case, these will hold the HDD onto the top panel.

[​IMG]

Just lined and cut out the required plexi for the enclosure but haven't start splitting them. Square "C" shaped that will enclose the HDD from both sides separately. 8 pieces will be used (4th piece at the back of the 3), about 5-6cm tall including the separator when its done. Yet to cut out the fan bracket for the top piece.

[​IMG]

Too much time on hand while waiting for both my drill and dremel to cool so did a little mod on the workbench.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lol. Just to hang the dremel whenever I stop cutting. Alrite, thats all for now, gotta start the cuttings for today.

20. PrometheusCon

PrometheusCon What's a Dremel?

Awesome work. Green glowing eyes are pretty sweet. I'm glad you didn't do the cliche red.

Tags: