1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official Bit-Tech F1 2008 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 26 Feb 2008.

1. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I see around the net, and even here mutterings of Glock allowing Hamilton pass, and that is just garbage.

If Glock had chosen to gift the WDC to Lewis all he needed to do was pit for wets along with every other driver, rather than stay out on drys and make a go for it.

Looking at the timings you will see that both drivers who stayed out on dries lost the same amount of time on the last lap, so no conspiracy, just a gamble that didn't pay off for Trulli and Glock

[​IMG]

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Who's trying to say that? Surely they can't be serious in saying such things? You could see, at the last corner, just how difficult Glock's car had become to handle - it was all over the place.

About 1:40 onwards, just look at that big moment he had, losing a swathe of time to Vettel, and being totally destroyed by him. Hamilton passes, and Glock is barely moving, yet still struggles to keep control of the car at the next corner!

Did he let him past? Maybe to avoid crashing, but not because he knew what it'd do for the championship imo.

3. Red 5

Red 5 What's a Dremel?

That was quite good, until I saw James Allen's mug shouting at me. Thankfully, I think he only appeared once, bar the audio.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Few of us at work are clubbing together and heading off to Spa for the Belgian GP next year :D

5. Krikkit

Rest assured mate, it's awesome.

I'd recommend taking a car unless you're camping at the track though, the area's pretty sparse for public transport.

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

We're considering our options atm, I found a hotel just over the border for £90 for the weekend inc breakfast. Flights £70 inc return, bronze ticket £120~ so not that much all in all for a great weekend. Need to sort out what turns we want to sit on too

7. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Think i'm gonna be silly next year, gonna do the Silverstone race (since its the last one!) and do both German and Italian weekends :D

8. Krikkit

My advice would be to start off sitting at the end of the straight, just before Combes, during Friday practice, then work your way around clockwise.

Most of the track down the bottom end after Blanchimont isn't that great for F1 watching, worth going down while some racing's on, but definately not race material imo...

In the end we sat just after Rivage (and the following, nameless corner) on the straight before Pouhon, across from a big screen.

Rivage is the best photo point, you can get literally 15ft away from the track, and they're not going particularly quickly. Probably 45-50mph.

Another good idea is a walk around the track once the weekend has finished, it took us about 1:45 to go around, collecting bits of circuit as we went. :D

Anyway, the much needed picture to help you along:
    [​IMG]

It's probably obvious, but a pair of half-decent earplugs is utterly necessary - the noise is good for a couple of laps when they're racing, but I imagine they'll be less so after 50...

p.s. We're doing Silverstone next year, never been, and it's the last race!

Last edited: 4 Nov 2008
  9. sesterfield

sesterfield What's a Dremel?

Very good assessment of the circuit :clap: I'd only add that it's worth watching one of the F1 practise sessions from the bottom of Eau Rouge (we stood on a thin ledge above the tunnel under the circuit!). You can get really close to the cars as they go up the hill, which is really intense because they're going so fast and bottom out right next to you :D

10. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Watching it back when Vettel passes Kovalainen just before the SC, he really pushes Heiki off the track. Quite a similar move that people were up in arms when Hamilton did that to Glock in Monza.

11. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

12. identikit

identikit Minimodder

13. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Don't think it was ever shown on TV.

14. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Yeah they cut to a different shot on the live feed that went out. Somebody doing that highlight video thought it was best to leave it in :lol:

15. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

That engineer must have been frustrated. wonder if he was billed for damage.:wallbash:

Cool video.

16. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

The official F1 videos are pretty damned good tbh.

17. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I love that punch, and the reaction of the people stood infront of it, shows just what it all meant to them.

18. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Yeah, those official formula1.com videos are brilliant.

19. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

20. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

Tags: