1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Left4Dead First Impressions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 8 Nov 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. iggy

iggy Minimodder

i shall need to buy this methinks.

3. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Objectively speaking the game isn't perfect, but it's fun, loving the demo, well done Valve:clap:

4. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

B21 and B19 give the same screenshot when made big.

Looks like a highly entertaining game though I'm not sure if I should go for PC or 360 on this one.

5. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

Get it on PC Bio. FPS : PC > Console. Also you wont have as many 9 year olds screwing you over by running away, getting killed in 30 seconds or not understanding the term of Friendly fire.

6. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

That's how most online games go thought. There is always the n00b in your squad that gets you killed.

1 Question. Is it a standalone title or does it require an existing game with the source engine such as CS:S or HL2.

I am really looking forward to giving the public demo a shot.

7. The Jambo

The Jambo Last on the scene

Standalone.

8. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Ok cool. Bring on the open demo.

9. phenoptix

phenoptix What's a Dremel?

You mention 28 days later, so this is actually a fast zombie game?! I can't wait to play it, may need to upgrade my machine a tad though.
    Nice review

10. naokaji

naokaji whatever

On the lower difficulties it is a fast paced Zombie Massacre, however, on the highest difficulty you want to take it slower and think once in a while or you wont last long, afterall you are one of a small number of survivors in a town filled (literally filled) with zombies that are after your brainnnsss.

11. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

I"m just wondering how this compares to the HL2 mod Zombie Panic. Many have told me ZP is nothing compared to this.

Even though from gameplay videos I believe people. But doesn't the same gameplay get boring after a while?

At least ZP has places for you to barricade against the never ending zombies which are quite scary at times :p

12. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Also ... what are the systems recommendations like. If I can play insurgency or CS Source at high I should have no problem right?

13. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

keeps crashing on me, same as tf2, hope its the vertical sync issue which for some reason worked itself out after 10-20 crashes....plays fine single player so I'm thinking should blame Virgin Internet speed throttling

14. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Definitely a 360 buy for me... If I wanted to play with my friends, it would have to be on a console. :)

15. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Sigh, Valve needs to modernize source, game looks dated, never any weather effects levels are to small, and I am sick of consoles holding back PC progress.

16. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Comparing this to Zombie Panic Source, I am a little upset at the fact that I'm not shitting my pants in anticipation for the next horde, like I would be if I saw a few zombies in ZPS. I appreciate the beauty of the game but I would like to feel a greater sense of urgency, and hopefully this will be fixed with being able to play more of the campaigns.

17. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

if they fix the server selection thingy this will be one of the very best valve games imo
    its such a simple fix too, just make it so when you hit 'start game' in the lobby you get a choice of manually picking an empty server from the server browser (where you'll be able to use all your filters and stuff to get the right one) or having it pick one automatically
    the server browser is still in the game and does actually work so this cant be a difficult fix
    if you do 'openserverbrowser' in console and go to the custom tab you can see all the servers and actually join games this way

the zombies arent comparable to any one 'class' of zombie
    there are elements of old skool Dawn of the Dead zombies in that they do just shamble around slowly being morons
    but if you piss them off or alert them somehow they will flip out and go all rage zombie on you ala 28 Days Later
    they also like to huddle in dark corners like the beasties from I Am Legend, its fairly easy to run right past one hiding in a cupboard only to have it come and bumrape you :p
    they'll also knock down doors and walls if you set them off
    and ofc there are the special zombies who are more like something from Doom than any zombie film ;)

lol sounds like you havent played it on expert, believe me you'll be shitting yourself :p

18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Want urgency? Try it on expert.

System requirements are roughly on par with The Orange Box.

This blows ZP out of the water (not that I reckon much to that unbalanced mod-mess anyway), and is very replayable.

19. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

ok, vertical disabled and ...... ITS AWESOME!
    can't wait for full release, demo to short
    I loved it playing single player, was so tense
    problem with playin with others they just ran off going to fast
    need to take it slow, cover each others backs etc etc
    let the tension build.............time to get a new PC and headset, find some good ppl to jam with

20. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Question for you all, Is it only online play? If it is it looks like I'm S.O.L

Tags: Add Tags