1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Router bandwidth tracking

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by wgy, 9 Nov 2008.

1. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

Aloha, is it possible to track or monitor the amount of bandwidth we (housemates) use?

i know we could each divide the monthly limit up and install separate monitors, but i would rather not get into picky arguments and seem like an authoritarian nutjob. :blush:

the router we are all connected too is a WGR614V9.

Hardware Version V9
    Firmware Version V1.0.11_1.0.1VGUK

i have checked for such options in the router pages, and found none. the QoS option netgear have previouisly used on this model has now gone with the hardware version 9 from the previous 8.

is this even possible? i have googled a bit, but havent found much.

any help would be apreciated.

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Most routers don't offer bandwith monitoring (or a decent QoS system). So the chances are good that it isn't possible.

3. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

Some ISP's offer the option, for a equal data sharing between multiple people, my ISP doesnt so i never looked into it

edit: also maybe check the likes of dd-wrt, open-wrt etc

4. identikit

identikit Minimodder

5. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

thanks for the response, ill try and sort it out and report back success or a megafail.

cheers

6. twentynine

twentynine Can never win...

7. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Read the OP my friend. he needs it to be network level instead of client level.

8. twentynine

twentynine Can never win...

:duh: Thats what I get for skimming. Sorry.

9. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Don't mean to burst anyones bubble, but the Netgear WGR614 v9 is not, and will not be supported by DD-WRT or indeed as is likely Open WRT; the reason being [in difference from it's predecessor - v8] it only has 16k of NVRAM which is far too low for the current releases.

Until someone goes to the trouble of creating a Mirco, or indeed quite probably as necessary a Pico version, the v9 will not be supported.

Unfortunately the WGR614 v9 is still being listed as a work in progress on the DD WRT website, when in fact development came to a halt by devs some 11 months ago.

As was published on this very website, Netgear had previously released an almost identical WGR614L with twice the RAM (16Mb) and twice the Flash (4Mb) [as well as more NVRAM] with the very intention of the end user installing DD-WRT or Open WRT or another Linux firmware.

I feel your pain, I do - Especially if yours is a Virgin Media issued one, as the firmware is thrice as crippled, and we're left powerless to upgrade its shambles, as I found in my own quest to install DD-WRT on this very model (v9) earlier this week.

As I've not yet stated in my thread from the linky just now, I've offered to send my v9 to the folks over at DD-WRT in the hope that through some software wizardry and hardware trickery they'll be able to provide some support in future..

Regards,

T.S.B

10. appeage09

appeage09 What's a Dremel?

If you use a linux router instead of a linksys, you can easily limit bandwidth by port number, ip address, protocol, etc. Explaining how exactly to do this is far beyond the scope of this post. :- But it can be done.