1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics IR break-beam circuit

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Kefka666, 11 Nov 2008.

1. Kefka666

Kefka666 What's a Dremel?

I'm trying to make a simple IR break-beam circuit to activate an LED. So when someone breaks the beam, it will activate an LED on a timer (simple 555) and the LED will turn off once the timer has expired. I understand the timer part, but I have no idea how to go about using IR LEDs to activate separate circuits. I suppose a phototransistor would be the receiver, but I don't know how to use it in this context. Can anyone supply a diagram or some information on how to approach this? I'm trying to make this very simple so that I can understand the basics and then go from there. Thanks.

2. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

You're in luck, I just stumbled across this circuit while searching for other ideas, and happened to book mark it for a later read/make.
    http://www.discovercircuits.com/H-Corner/infraredltsw.htm

Unfortunately, that's about all I can offer for help with the actual making of it, aside from my good wishes, and hopes for pics of the completed process! :D

cpemma likes this.
  3. Kefka666

Kefka666 What's a Dremel?

Thanks, but that seems a little more complex than what I'm going for. I simply want to make a circuit where, when the phototransistor no longer detects the IR LED (i.e. something interrupts the path), then an LED is activated. I think this could be straightforward using a few transistors, right? I'm not sure, though--I'm looking for some suggestions because I'm new to this sort of thing.

4. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

5. Imjusthappytobeher

Imjusthappytobeher What's a Dremel?

I hope you find the circuit your looking for. I've been looking for pretty much the same thing for quiet some time now. When I look to the commercial industry the prices are extraordinary. There couldn't be anywhere near that much in $ in internal parts involved. Besides the feeling of Do It Yourself is priceless. I'm looking for a simple circuit design that would use a pulsed IR beam (to reduce false alarms) that can be extended in range 100 to 500 ft by using optics such as from binoculars (separated to make 2 optical receivers) that can be found at The Dollar General Store $10 bucks . Another approach would be one of the 3 watt IR LEDs on the market or possibly combine the binoculars and 3 watt IR LED for super range.
    If you have any luck of course please let us know.
    Wishing the both of us luck
    From Imjusthappytobehere

6. HowY

HowY What's a Dremel?

Here's some easy and functional circuits (Designed for model RR)

Based on a comparator - works great with photo transistors.

IR Proximity

More background info....

Photo Dectors

There is an "Across the track" sensor on the site using a laser pointer
    lots of good stuff there...