1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Mirror's Edge

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 12 Nov 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/11/12/mirror-s-edge/1

It's fast, furious and more sprightly than a game from 1984. It's also slightly nauseating, but we haven't let that stop Andy as we send him onto the rooftops to review Mirror's Edge with a PS3 controller in one hand and sickbag in the other. Check out his thoughts within!

:clap:

2. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I'm really keen to play this, and was pleasantly surprised to see the 9 when the review had a slightly negative tone. I was going to get it for myself for christmas, but they separated out the PC release date. Guess I'll get Prince of Persia instead.
    Will Bit-tech be doing a follow up article when the PC version comes out?

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Almost definitely, if only so I can play it.

4. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

so, ps3, or xbox?

(anyone who says PC gets a slap)

5. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

ah, thats good news - one of my main questions with all these multi release games is "which platform do i get it for" - usually thats PC, but theres always the bad ports where the controls/menu just suck on PC and its worth shelling out a bit more for the console versions. I shall look forward to the PC article and hope for some comparisons :)

6. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

Is an amazing game, quite hard at places which is good.

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Well, I played the demo on the Xbox, and reviewed the game on the PS3 - and tbh, they're both pretty much the same. Granted, on the PS3 you get to use the SixAxis function for balance if you want it - but I don't find the PS3 controller that accurate, and there's not really that many beams in the game anyway.

It's lucky there's no real penalty for falling (or even a counter, for that matter) because some of the puzzles had me stumped for a long time before I managed to work out how to get through without dying...

It actually reminded me a bit of the old PC game Oni a lot, which is no bad thing, since I loved that game too.

Yet another good game in a long line of good games so far this autumn - could this be the best season ever for game releases?

8. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Glad to see this has gotten the bit-tech approval, can't wait for this to come out on PC.

9. salesman

salesman Minimodder

10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i and many others will wait for the pc version.

11. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Oni was great. I loved that game. :D If Mirrors Edge is anything like Oni, I'll have to have a try. :D

12. Fod

and play with a keyboard?

srsly?

non-FPS/RTS games, i play on consoles. plus i have a pimping sound system in my living room. sound > graphics, any day.

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

last time i checked it was an FPS so your arguement is /null

3 8800 gtx's, a 2407, x-fi elite pro outputting dts 96/24 via z5500's. yeah i take my gaming srsly.

14. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

I agree with Mentai. The tone of the article doesn't reflect the final score. I was expecting a 7.
    The impression I got reading it was that the author was saying "nice idea, dodgy implementation".

15. Fod

not really. have you played it? the shooting is very much second fiddle to the free running stuff, which definitely would not work as good with a joypad.

and z5500s? puh-leeeeeaze. come back when you have a proper AV setup:p

(i also have a very similar PC to yours, just the one 8800 ultra though. cba with SLI, too many problems, not enough returns)

if course, you could play on PC with a gamepad, but i'd rather sit on my sofa, tyvm.

16. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Which is strange, that's not the tone that was writing, nor did Joe pick up on that tone (he thought it was more positive than that).

And this is definitely not an FPS. First person, yes, most definitely. Shooter, most definitely not. If anything, it's more of a FPP (first person platformer)

17. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

PCs have joypads too btw... Besides it'll probably be a GFW game and therefore be designed around the 360 controller in mind too.

EDIT: Just read that you realised you can play with gamepads too.

But both options still have their own advantages.

18. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

I love the demo on X360, so I'll probably buy this, especially with the Bit-Tech seal of approval.

People have made comparisons to FPS games, platformers or Assassin's Creed, but it reminds me most of N+, the 2D ninja game where you had to use momentum to spring off multiple surfaces and carry you over large spaces. Also, enemies were similar, in that you didn't face them in combat, you just had to evade and escape.

So, all of that in 3D with a great sense of immersion is pretty cool. But judging by review scores across the web, it seems like Far Cry 2 in that everyone likes the idea but only some people appreciate the implementation.

19. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

I always see comments like this, don't people realise PC's use both gamepads and K/M? gotta love the choice, also, whats wrong with K/M? If the devs do it correctly, a K/M setup works great for these types of games, Assassins creed controlled just as good on it as gamepad.

20. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

PC Cheesecake.. have to smack me Fod...

when the DVD drive on my xbox failed... and there is a complicated/costly/risky way to fix it... I stuck the dumb thing in the closet.

my opteron 170 with my 8800gt will likely play this game just fine.

This will likely be one of the few games I buy this year aside from Wrath of the Lich King for WoW and Mass Effect for PC.

Mass Effect for PC imo is way better experience control wise than I had on the 360.

Looking forward to it. Thank Bit-Tech