1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant iPod stolen from work

Discussion in 'General' started by Stickeh, 12 Nov 2008.

1. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

How annoying, i work 11.5 hours a week 3.5 hours 5-8:30 and 8 hours on a saturday at my local homebase, part time just to get some money to pay for the little things (read:alcohol) while at uni.

Today, i left my ipod touch in my bag and subsequently its gone awol, about half a dozen males have been upstairs to the changing rooms / canteen so its got to be one of them...

I am really annoyed however, as i was told by my managers not to have my phone or ipod on me, i need to ask [female name here] for a locker, of which i did a month ago, and i havent receieved anything back and of course if i had it, i wouldnt have lost my ipod.

**** **** bollox. Work wont replace it, i dunno if i can claim, or if its worth claiming off household insurance, and its right pissed me off.

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Stolen by a work colleague, that's pretty low.

3. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Sounds exactly like my workplace. ;)

4. Stickeh

I don't think a colleague would have it in them, tbh i think either the security guard, or the guy who was sat in the foyer selling wall cavity insulation.

Thing is this isn't the first time this has happened, a friend has his nokia 6300 stolen from work a few months back.

5. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

i'd start raising hell. Theft in the workplace is bad enough, but companies screwing you over because they NEVER have as many lockers as employees is a whole different degree of indecency.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Threaten to file a police report or have them take some action.

7. fev

fev Industry Fallout

they won't do anything, i'm sure it's either A. in your contract or B. on a poster
    "we don't take responsibility for any personal belongings"

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Even if it says this, you can still take the company you work for at a small claims court and battle yourself for the lack of lockers. Even if in the contract and that their is a visible sign that you can't miss, a company has to do the minimum to prevent theft. Lack of employees locker is one of them.

9. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

That sucks but I don't think your work will replace it

10. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I'd do this if talking to your boss gives no results.

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Punch all suspects in the face, then proceed to search the bag of the one that seems least surprised.

12. twentynine

twentynine Can never win...

Now THAT is my type of solution. Haha. :hehe: Seriously though, I feel for you. I've had things like this happen to me. Few things make me more mad than having something I worked to get taken from me. :miffed:

13. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

Put a nice big bit of paper in the canteen thanking the bugger who stole you ipod, but ask them if they would kindly return it.

14. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

this.

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

That sucks man. Standing orders at my workplace was no phones on your person while on the shopfloor, but even with lockers, everyone ignored that. The lockers weren't too reliable, so I just turned my phone off and stuck it in my pocket. Sure, it was pretty obvious I had my phone on me if you looked at my pockets, but nothing ever got said, and I never had to worry about my workmates nicking it (which half of them would have).

16. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Yeah, it sucks having people vandalise/steal your stuff at work. I had some ftard slash my bike tire. I said this is vandalism, and there's only two members of staff that could have done it (it was saturday so three sales assistants in myself and the boss). The chief paid for the new tire. I always have my phone on me at work, regardless. They can't search you, unless it obviously starts ringing. I would've just said to them, no locker? The phone stays in my pocket, even if it's on silent.

17. joytime360

joytime360 What's a Dremel?

Stolen by a work colleague, that's really something disgusting...

18. Stickeh

Went into work today, store manager 'too busy' with some interviews he was doing to handle my problem right there and then, asked me to write it down and he'd get someone to look at the cctv.
    I also left a note at the bottom saying please ring me, and i received no calls today. Thanks guys.

Also the woman i left a note for, for a new locker / shirt, saw my status on facebook last night and decided now would be a good time to get a locker, too bloody late now as i have no valuables to put in the bloody thing, and had i had one 2 weeks ago when asked this would not have happened.

I also learnt today while at work though, that the guy in the foyer was also asking where the 'other' aka staff toilets were as the ones in the foyer must have had something wrong with them? Meaning someone showed him, and he used OUR staff toilets which are in OUR changing room.

He still remains my most likely subject.

Good news is however, from some selling of some goods i should be able to afford a new ipod from the profits, not really what i had in mind for it however i didnt work especially hard to buy / shift the stuff ( max 5 hours work? ) and get around £200 return, cant complain in that respect, was hoping to spend it on a new engine for the mini though :(

19. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

I'd threaten to ring your Area Manager and say you boss hasn't dealt with this in a good manner. I'd also get the number for the guy selling stuff in the foyer, well the company he works for's number. Explain the situation to them too. See what they have to say for themselves. If they say nothing get a crime reference number and say your going to make it very public about Homebases responce to this. I reckon they'd not what any bad press!

20. Stickeh

Ok so i watched the CCTV footage last night and the guy in the foyer looked ****ing nervous.

He gave the most blatant i've spotted the camera in the stairwell look directly at the camera, and he took his bag upstairs with him to get a coffee?

He also looked very shifty throughout the rest of his shift, looking left and right while packing his bag.

I'm pretty sure it was him, but no real evidence. I've just had a phonecall from my manager at work saying he is in today, and has 'left it with me' with what i want to do. ( this is a decent manager btw, not one of the cluts who said nothing could be done etc, he let me watch the cctv with him yester once the other dicks had left, and also let me ride his quad around the car park....)

My question is now, what should i do?

I would like to confront him and see his reaction.
    Mother says no evidence no point, but i cant see the reasoning in letting someone get away with something like this so he can do it again.

So bit-techers, what do i do?