1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Blizzard: "We're not milking StarCraft 2"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Nov 2008.

1. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Aye. When a politician is that adamant about something, it pretty much guarantees that they're lying. :hehe: Seems that game devs and publishers are going to be going into the same classification. ;)

I'm still enthusiastic about Starcraft 2, though, even with it being split in three. Provided there is no nasty DRM on it, I'll be buying it for sure. If there is... well, then I just won't be playing it.

2. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Ahem, you forgot who the Publisher is, Activison and those guys just recently admitted that they will stop at nothing to increase the amount of money they get from you.

Blizzard + Activision is just as bad as Westwood and EA.

3. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

What if there is a break through in gaming technology? By the time they release the final game it might be outdated by 2 generations of RTS design. I think longer campaigns will be nice but for me it's not my cup of tea. I prefer just playing multiplayer because I get a much greater challenge from playing people. I think their master plan will hurt both types of players.

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Yep, Santa Claus will come with Elvis and deliver it right to your door, right? :eyebrow:

Do you really think there's more than money to it? Or pressure by Activision to make more money?

5. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

smells like the way Dawn of War went, where you had to have all the game releases to have all the unit and race options for multiplayer.

blows.

6. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

isnt this going to be a yearly release too, so 3 years later these graphics that look good now, are gunna look shite so this had better be a great game otherwise me and the boys will be playing the original at lans for some time more.

peace

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

No definite Timeframe known atm, below quote is from original bit-tech article about the split:

8. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Seeing as there a business, and as a business they have to make money id be very surprised that NOBODY suggested splitting the game to make more money. i would have thought it would be a logical idea for a business to put on the table? I cant say that i agree thats its going to be better for the gamer. It would be better if they just came out and explained EXACTLY what each ep will contain and whether you need all 3!

9. Project_Nightmare

Project_Nightmare What's a Dremel?

I say they are milking it until they release their prices for the game. If it is in $20-30 range then they aren't. If it is around $50 per game, then I hate Blizzard.

10. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i dont believe him.

its either he's lying or he's a lousy businessman.

nobody gonna mention it but im sure at the decision-maker meeting evrybody silently understands. its common business sense.

11. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

I'd rather have 3 long starcraft 2 storyline campaign modes than 3 short storyline campaign modes even if there is a gap in between their releases. The thing that sells a game to me is the immersion in the universe and the story line if it isnt there then I cant be bothered with it.

12. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

I think I'll wait till I actually play the game before I pronounce my judgement on whether the episodes are overpriced

13. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Blizzard is turning into one of my least liked game companies, they are becoming really money greedy and they dont treat their customers with respect, I think Diablo 3 will probably be one of the last games I buy from them ~_~

14. seveneleven

seveneleven What's a Dremel?

It's what they're suppose to say.That's what I would do if I didn't want to hurt my sales.

15. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

On that note:
    Isn't that exactly what happened to the original SC? The graphics are more than lame by nowaday's standard but there are still enough people playing it. Maybe some people at Blizzard think it might go the same route with SC2...

16. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

I can believe they split the game into three as a design decision. It would be ridiculous to believe that they're full-priced based on that same design decision.

Their case would be a lot more solid if they weren't making billions of dollars off of WoW.

17. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

We require more vespene gas, and $60

18. NaThRo

NaThRo What's a Dremel?

My guess would be that each Ep would come with a basic set of units (Y) and then a few unique ones depending on your purchase (1=Y+T, 2=Y+Z, 3=Y+P). And you only have access to T, Z or P if you've got that Ep installed/purchased.

Or is what Joe said exactly what's happening?

I don't think they should be pricing each episode as a full priced game... maybe 2/3 or 3/4.

19. Gh0stDrag0n

Gh0stDrag0n Unleash the Beast!

$30....$50.... milk.....3 games....promise....bla.....bla.....bla....

WTF is wrong with everyone?

Build a $1200+ "Gaming PC and B*tch about the cost of countless of hours of gaming on it.
    Starcraft 2 will be great, on and offline. Get over it and flip a few more burgers if you can't come up with the money.

20. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

No company in their right mind would not mention the financial benefit in the meeting :p

Episodes are just an extention of 'expansion packs' nobody I know has problems with them.

Tags: Add Tags