1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress ****** PHINIX CUBE ******* - the one and only:)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by phinix, 3 Dec 2007.

1. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The face plate. The one with the "Crysis esque" chrome ring and honey comb, takes the cake (is the best) lol.

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

^^ What he said
    John

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

So its time for another update. I came back from holidays and first day off I worked a bit on that internal cage. As you can see I stopped calling it drive cage, cause now it also takes 120mm radiator with fan, apart of hdd and dvd.
    Here's a picture of two acrylic plates, top and bottom of that cage. Structure will be same as previos cage - 4 chrome rods and two plates. This time I have to cut a hole in the bottom for radiator exhaust.

[​IMG]

Two plates with chrome rods:
    [​IMG]

Tried the radaitor if it fits...

[​IMG]

Looking ok, all fits nicely..

[​IMG]

..and here's after cutting this radiator hole. Still needs nice finish and polishing of course...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also have a small mod on the side here - came back with my brother inlaw's side panel of the case. He wants a nice red window in it with 120mm fan blowing inside on his graphic cards in sli.
    We tried to cut the panel with small metal hand saw, but it didn't work:) Also some huge electric saw didnt work - only burnt a panel a bit:)) I will cut it again with my new Dremel:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. The boy 4rm oz

Loving the chrome rod.

5. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Another update: internal cage - done. Filed the edges of both panels, cut long holes for velcro belts and put them in. All fixed. Here's how it looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

its a bit dirty, expecially on the edges, you may see some white powder which makes edges uneven, but they are straight, only it looks like not. I will polish edges with dremel and some compound later, when finish PSU plate.

It pretty same as previous, only this one is standing on its panel. Plus, it will keep 120mm radiator at the lowest, then fan, hdd on velcro strips and finally dvd on top of it (unless I find the way to install dvd on top of the cube like planned to...)...

Now going back to measure the hole for PSU and make red back plate for PSU which will keep it a bit outside with some extentions...

6. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Excellent use of space and nice idea with the Velcro 'hammock' for the HDD.

7. The boy 4rm oz

WOW she turned out great. I really like the velcro hammock idea, I have only ever seen that done once before, over at TPU I think.

Looking really good, keep up the excellent work.

8. Frenkie

Frenkie Lets mod the world!

Looks very good, love the hammock idea.

9. skullen

skullen Minimodder

Nice one phinix,very nice :thumb:

10. spenc259

spenc259 in the build stage!!!

hey just started following the project...its looking fantastic btw!!

was just wonderin' where u got your plexi from?? anywhere in Scotland??

also i was wonderin' where you got that wire from thats on pg 1?? i can only seem to find it by the 100m's!!!

11. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thank you guys! Hammock will be a good for hdds I think. Its strong enough to keep them from moving around and flexible enough to take off all vibrations from them...

Cheers brother!:) Plexi - ebay, wire - KustomPC shop, online, or if you want to have some trip - Ayr:) You can also trip to B&Q they sell it on meters..

Last edited: 30 Oct 2008
  12. spenc259

spenc259 in the build stage!!!

Sound m8 cheers for the info big help...

13. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Small update: found some time to do sth with my cube yesterday.
    I'm pretty busy doing my kitchen lately, but found few hours to work on the beauty;)

Finally got all parts for my water loop so started to put it up. It will go from the pump to GPU block and then to both radiators - 2x120 and 120, then comes back to the pump. In small loops like this order doesnt matter so I decided to go with easiest route. Well.. I had to use on 90 degree elbow and one 90 degree barb converter for 120 radiator cause in lower level is so tide I couldnt fit tubes in there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres all stuff for loop.

[​IMG]

Almost forgot to show this - finished cutting hole in bottom panel for 120 radiator exhaust. Red piece of acrylic is PSU back frame which will keep PSU outside of the case - I think 2-3cm will be enough to squize everything else inside.

[​IMG]

Here's few shots of my sweet sexy GPU block...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are all parts of full cage I made: cage itself, 120 radiator, YL red led 120mm fan and foam gasket I made myself - bought a cheap mouse pad and cut it off:)

[​IMG]

Here is fan installed on rad using 30mm black cap bolts.

[​IMG]

Few shots of running fan:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a full cage folded - you can see here how I cut the hole in bottom part of the cage - fits perfect with hole of radiator.. Cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That would be it, for now.

I have no idea what to do next actually..:( I would have to install everything in cube to measure and cut tubes and then run leak test of the loop. Next would be installing loop with the system. Next are the side panels and gluing the letters and biohazard signs I think. Biggest problem will be front panel and cutting all the holes it needs...
    Still, the big unknown is what I'm gonna do with dvd. I decided no matter what - to fit it on top, so I believe when I will have my loop installed and all system running that will be the time to check if it will work...
    So.. I'll try to do sth soon, I promise:)

Last edited: 14 Nov 2008
  14. The boy 4rm oz

I love those GFX waterblocks, a must get for my next mod. It's gonna be a tight fit but you can do it.

15. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Excellent choice of GPU block mate. ;)

Looking good.

16. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Nice to see an update buddy!

17. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks guys!
    I'm just too busy to play with this cube lately. All I can do is dream about finishing it:)
    Yep, those blocks are sexy! I can't wait to fit it and try how it works and cools my GTX.
    Lower level is hell when it comes to fitting water tubes - I need to work ith 90 degree elbos to route it around PSU. There wont be a free space when I finish wth it. Still, gonna fit there a few red leds to light up biohazard sign on that level...

18. ricickle

ricickle Reamer

Leds should looks sick around the biohazard sign.
    Hope to see an update soon mate.

19. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I'm trying to figer out how I'm gonna light them up - How should I install those leds to light up biohazard signs and phinix cube logo?
    I thought simple serial of leds would be ok, but maybe there is better way to shpae them?
    I thought 3 leds for iohazard in a row would be ok? Then 6 leds in a row for sign above?

What do you think?

20. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Not an udpate, but wanted to show sth... new upcoming mATX SLI mobo.. for i7:)

What can I say.. imagine this baby inside this PHINIX CUBE... Wooohooooo....

[​IMG]

SLI on mATX mobo... with i& CPU... that's ... PREETY...

Unfortunately I would have to rebuild colling system for those. one 240 and one 120 won't be enough... I would have to push in at least two thick 120.2 PAs... and that won't be possible when I already found a lot of troubles wfitting all present stuff...
    (that is why I have an idea with Lian Li A05:)... )