1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 90 percent of World of Goo installs are pirated

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Nov 2008.

1. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

But legit copies would be just as likely to have dynamic IP's so as they say it would balance out...
    I myself bought World of Goo, I didn't think it was really worth $20USD, but at $10USD I would recommend it to everyone.

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I fail to see how the legit copies with dynamic ip's cancels out the pirate copies. There metric is fundamentally flawed since most people get dynamic ip's, I agree with their sentiment but their method for testing their hypothesis is bad.

3. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I bought World of Goo. It was a bit pricey for what is essentially a very nice flash game. Worth $10 rather than $20 really. :)

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I don't have a static IP either, but it still hasn't changed in six months. Except when you power-cycle either your modem or the router/computer attached to it, you'll usually keep the same IP indefinitely even if you're not paying for a static IP.

And I doubt that the South Africa numbers are even remotely significant compared to North America and Europe.

5. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Not really, because the very small % of people with a static ip represent a larger than average % of Customers.

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

90%? Oh My F*ing God.

That's just so messed up.

I did not buy the game, but refused to install it illegally either (was on friend's thumb drive) due to the makers' good intentions. So atleast being DRM free had an effect on me.

7. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Last edited: 15 Nov 2008
  8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

+ the current recession... its either games or food, and I know which one to pick.

9. cebla

cebla What's a Dremel?

To be honest I think that is the crappest way of measruing the total number I could possibly think of. A very large proportion of the users of the game would have dynamic IP addresses and it is very likely that they would have submited scores from multiple IPs.

10. cliffski

cliffski Game Designer

People say this a lot, they may even believe it, but it's not true. As an indie dev who has experimented with prices, I can assure you that if you halve the price of a game, the exact same number of people buy it. If you drop it to $5, you don't get any more sales than at $20. It may seem counter-intuitive, but the barrier is getting your wallet open. If you will buy the game for $5, you will buy it for $20 (on average, there may be some exceptions).
    People think they are a LOT more price-sensitive than they actually are.

11. cliffski

cliffski Game Designer

...from consoles. yes.

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I for one think the lack of Demos from Dev also tends to lead towards piracy, for me if I wasnt sure about a game I would get the demo and play it, if I like it cool I would go out and buy it but now with so many companies not releasing demos part of me is like hmm do I want to go out and spend 50.00 on a game that once I open wont be able to return just to find out I dont like it... no so of course I go and download the game and give it ago if I like it then ya I will go and actually buy it if I didnt well it goes bye bye so ya I guess I fall into that 0.1% of people who "pirate" a game to see if they like it, in a way treating it like a demo but ya that what I do, I think if Dev actually released quality demos that could help in lowering the amount of pirated games, I know a few people at my work who do the same thing because of a lack of demo to see if they will like it.

13. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

1st:
    If they didn't make money from PC sales they wouldn't make PC games.

2nd:
    Killing P2P will NOT kill 80% of piracy! UseNet, private boards and (stolen) FTPs are nowhere near that small a number.

3rd:
    What was with SC and Korea? Wasn't it 10:1 (pirated:eek:riginal)?

14. evanbraakensiek

evanbraakensiek What's a Dremel?

The ignorant always find ways to justify themselves.

15. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Man, I love Harlan Ellison. He's so angry and talented. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream is one of my top three books.

16. cliffski

cliffski Game Designer

No excuse in this case. World Of Goo has a very big and very good demo.

17. Major

Major Guest

lol @ Piracy = Stealing.

No, a better comparison would be my mate buying the game from Gamestation, then ripping the game and giving me a copy with the crack needed to play the game, that's a real life comparison, not the normal stupid one.

18. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Maybe it is because 90% of the wold population do not see it as stealing but as a normal daily activity. I bet 40% of the downloaders are "collectors". No one is telling them to stop OR ELSE!

Its easier and less dangerous then stopping for a traffic light. You wont get hurt if you download more. If they really need to stop piracy then change the system of distribution and delivery but this is impossible.

So its back to the good old boardgames then.

Tags: Add Tags