1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Hunting Anyone?

Discussion in 'General' started by talladega, 18 Nov 2008.

1. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Nice abit bigger than the one over here in Scotland what size gun where you using probably wont be the same naming system as here Iv got a 243 rifle with silencer if that means anything to you?

2. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

You sure sound like you know everything. :rolleyes:

Infact the gun had been sighted in but something must have it or something. When I got back home that day I had put the boresighter in it and set it back to center.

I use the gun my dad used to use. a Remington .270 Model 760 Pump Action
    My dad uses same but a .30-06

My scope is a Mueller 4-16x50 with illuminated dot. Got it a year and a half ago. Its awesome!

It has really nice turrets for sighting on it. I've got it marked for 100, 200, and 300 yards so if I know how far the target is away approximately I wont have to guess how high to aim.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well yesterday evening we skinned it and its now soaking in big containers filled with vinegar water to get all the blood out. Not sure how much meat we will get. Very little was ruined because I shot it around the spine so very little will be thrown out. So I expect a fair amount.

Didnt shoot it at home. If thats what you mean. I go hunting about 10 miles south of where I live. The deer was skinned and such at home in our garage.

Thanks!

gun = Remington .270 Model 760 Pump Action

Our laws here is your first deer can be whatever. The second and third (if allowed in the the specific area you hunt) has to be a doe.

Yes, if you get a moose, it will be a loooong night dragging it out. Best to have a 4 wheeler.

Sounds like an awesome gun! I want to someday get a new hunting rifle. Maybe a .338 or .375 with a heavy barrel, bipod, and muzzle break. ( I do lots of target shooting )

Next year I think we will get a little sled or something to drag it on as you say. Dragging these things across a field is NOT easy. Took me and my dad quite a while. We just had a harness thing we put on and a rope tied on the harness and around the antlers. And it sure isn't kind of the deer to not help us out. :hehe:

Same naming system as you got for guns. Mine a Remington .270 Model 760 Pump Action.

You sure a silencer is legal? Over here it isnt. :(

Heres a picture of my two guns. One is a .22 (Walther) I use for target shooting, the other is my hunting rifle.

You can probably guess which is which.

[​IMG]

3. Charel

Charel What's a Dremel?

What scope do you have on the remington?

4. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

Don't get it.

Probably would look better still alive, instead of on your wall.

5. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Lemme guess what really happened... you were so pissed at the pc with it's dvd & touch switches that you screamed, grabbed your gun, ran out of the house, and shot the first thing you saw :hehe:

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I've shot from that Walther .22 - gotta say it put me right of target shooting. It didn't help that I only got about 30 rounds of it at the shoot, but dear god was it unsatisfying. I was astonished, never handled a proper firearm in my life, always wanted to shoot, was sure I'd enjoy it. Spent 2 hours doing it and discovered that .22's give roughly the same recoil and sound as closing your fridge door does.

I'll wait for the army before shooting again, they've got some proper boomsticks they do. Also gratz on the kill, even though it seems probable to me that it's immoral to kill animals like that (or at least to derive enjoyment from doing so), it's an accomplishment nonetheless I think.

7. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Coolio, nice pair of guns and a delightful little (or not so little) scope you have there.

Unfortunately it's a bit of a devil to get a license for proper firearms in the UK unless you are a farmer.

Shotguns are a bit easier, got a 12 bore Verney Carron over and under and some italian side by side thing which shoots about as straight as the italians do at war...lol...can't beat dodgey italian engineering!

Have a .22 magnum air rifle for small game and dossing around with, stocked with an 8x42, not illuminated though, really wish it was!

8. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

As I said earlier a Mueller 4-16x50mm. Link: http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MU41650IGR.html

Really awesome scope!

:lol::lol:

All depends what you are into. I go through a few THOUSAND rounds of .22 a year with that gun. Most of it at 20yards and then when I go to the National Competition I shoot at 50yards.

It's defenitley not for those wanting a big huge powerful gun. Target shooting .22's is more about the scores and fun. I perfer it to shooting big caliber guns as it is MUCH cheaper and easier to set up as we have an indoor range in our town. For high caliber gun we'd have to go out of the town and find a place to set up targets and such.

I dont understand how it's immoral to kill a deer though. :confused: I'm not torturing it or making it suffer by shooting it in an area where it will have slow and painful death. It was dead within 10 seconds. I have heard a deer scream in pain and it is one of the most horrible things I have heard. :waah:

But it's your opinion and thats fine. :thumb:

LOL @ 'boomsticks'

9. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

What are massive populations of deer going to do to anyone? If I hear the crops argument, I'm going to cry. Earth survived with all these animals for thousands of years without being over-run with fascist deer before we showed up.

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I hunt because it's fun to be with family and we have very nice bonding moments

But we use every pound of usable meat and if we have extra we'll get it to food pantry so there is enough food for everyone

11. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

the reason hunting is fairly important is cause we've moved in to where the deer natural roamed and there is less food there for if people didn't hunt they would die of starvation. witch I'd rather kill a dear, eat and possibly make clothing out of it. then watch them die slowly threw the winter.

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

It's pretty indepth, but I can PM you the various explanations if you like. I don't especially like the fact that it seems to be immoral. I eat meat, I agree with animal testing for pragmatic reasons, and I'd probably hunt given the chance. But philosophically speaking, it does seem to be immoral to kill an animal (and/or to derive pleasure from killing an animal, depending on which school of thought you subscribe to).

13. twentynine

twentynine Can never win...

Nice kill. While I'm not a big hunter, I do enjoy it and go every year. I just love deer meat....its like a special treat a couple times a year.

14. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I agree that hunting & killing for the fun of it is cruel, especially if the animal is made to suffer.

But to those that say killing a deer and eating it is cruel, when the deer is killed quickly, just make sure you are not a hypocrite. This means no meat for you, including fish, no eggs either, and if you really want to put animals first, no vegtables either, as there are plenty of hungry animals in the world that won't starve to death if you give them your vegetables instead of eating them. There's not much left to eat unfortunately, but if you really, really care about the animals, you could find some carnivores and let them eat you.

I've gone hunting a couple of times, and haven't been again as i don't really have the stomach for it, and i don't really want to keep at it to desensitize myself to if. I buy meat & eggs however, so you could say i have others to do my dirty work for me.

15. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Yeah land hasn't exactly been farmed the way it is at the minute for that amount of time. Bit difficult to compare the two situations. Deer are a pest to farmers and always will be.

Are you a farmer?

I thought not.

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Back then we weren't farming intensively

17. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

Anyone else see the thread title and think of Most Dangerous Game?? :worried:

18. dom_

dom_ --->

From experience the only way to get decent meat out of venison is by gutting it on site and quickly. You want the meat cooled down quickly and entrails out soon.
    Don't forget the scent glands on the rear knees too (looks like tough fur) these can add a nasty taste.

19. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

When I was younger me and my grandad used to go out fishing, mainly we'd catch a couple to eat later on, thing is it was really messy preparing them, lots of blood etc.

Just wondering, when you are preparing an entire deer, where does all the blood go? Surely it's messy as hell, do you have to have some kind of bench setup for it?

Just curious

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Nov 2008
  20. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Yes everybody uses them where I go to shoot normally means we get a few more shots in.