1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming LittleBigPlanet

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 Nov 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. JonDixon

JonDixon Decking is the new modding

Just got this last night with my very own sackboy. I didnt think it was going to be my cup of tea, but so far even just playing the levels this game is brilliant.

The game looks beautiful and plays superbly. Not sure about creating my own levels, but the user created ones I have seen have been pretty good and will get better over time.

The game is kinda like tetris, you see it and it doesnt look like much but once you have a go you're hooked.

3. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

so why does it only score 9?

4. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

My wife loves this game. She loves it so much that she has taken my PS3 from the lounge downstairs and has placed it in the bedroom as she prefers to be upstairs when she plays leaving me the 360 for downstairs.. Hmmmm.

Her little sack boy now walks around in pink sunglasses, a pirate outfit and has hair (since the last time I saw him).

So then... so far Ive lost my PS3, a wife as I never see her anymore, (oh and I had to buy the game for her in the 1st place so thats another £37.95).... and what do I get in return... ?

Peace and quiet, and time to play Gears 2 and COD 5. Bliss.

5. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I'm sure in the some of the pre-release interviews MM implied all the levels in the game were made using same the level creator the players use.

yeah my fiance cant get enough of it either. Everybody who has seen me playing LBP has asked for a go and has become hooked, even the non gamers.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

ROFL :hehe:

'tis true though. Possibly the best game ever. It is what I'm buying a PS3 for .

My wife wants one because she has taken to Virtua Fighter 5. She discovered it when we were playing at a friends' during a get-together.

PS3: £285,--

Virtua Fighter 5: £12,98

Watching my wife, who only ever played a few levels of Katamari totally trash hardened game players in Virtua Fighter 5: priceless. :D

7. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

So it's worth buying then?
    Looks like it's something else to buy, woo, this buying stuffs for my PS3 could prove more expensive than i had first predicted.

Sam

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I find the snippets of wit in the narration hilarious. I've got up to the last set of levels and the only annoying level so far is the Sensei's Castle one. There's one part that can be very tricky!

I've yet to explore the level creator, but I've played a fair few online levels and there are some real crackers, along with some rather pointless ones (i.e. a totally blank level with no exit).

If you don't have a PS3 and fancy buying one, this is reason enough to. It really is a stupendously marvellous game and it's literally awesome with more than one player.

/end gushing.

9. Major

Major Guest

Obviously never heard of Metal Gear Solid 4...

10. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Which is why I wrote "possibly one of the first" instead of "the first"...:sigh:

11. Major

Major Guest

To me though, saying "Possibly one of the first" is like stating that infact, there is no "must have" games available on the PS3.

;)

12. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

so to put it bluntly, littlebigplanet has convinced me to spend a lot of money on a ps3 and a tv. reminds me of when Mario 3 came out and i had to go out and convince parents to get a nes. a course nes' where still cheaper then the ps3.

13. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

I read that entire review in my internal Stephen Fry voice, it was great.

And this game is easily a 10, it's superb now and will only get better.

14. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

rofl, some of these comments are hilarious....the dude who loses his wife and ps3 to gain time to play cod5 and gow2, love it. i dont have a ps3 but have had the other 2 ps's and wish i could afford one as this game looks like a lot of fun. nice review Andy,

peace

fatman

15. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

[Dons flame proof suit] But MGS4 is not a must have title (at least for me anyway)[/FPS] LBP may be the one game that tempts me to get a PS3 (once I get some spare cash that is)

16. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I agree. Unless you have played all of the previous MGS titles, you won't understand what it is that you are playing and why you doing what you do. The story alone will make absolutely no sense and all the other charm/polish will make no sense. Don't get me wrong, MGS4 is an amazing title (best graphics, best story, most polish in a game yet, etc.), but only to those who understand it and have played all 3 titles up until then. I also own MGS4 btw.....LBP is the reason to purchase a PS3.....hands down....

Anyone can play it. Everyone will love it (in some way or another). I love everything about it and will be purchasing it brand new (I want to support MediaMolecule) very soon....once I get ahead of my tuition payments.....

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I'm not exactly sure I get the hype surrounding this, to me it looks like a plat former with physics and a level creator. From the videos I've seen it does look very nice graphically and the physics look cool at least, but I've seen bits where it looks very frustrating as someone repeatedly fails something that looks like it should be very easy. On the whole, it does look pretty good, but I've not really seen or heard anything that has made me go "Wow, this is something special that is worth getting a PS3 for". I can't see where all the hype is coming from. Maybe I just need to play it to really find out, but then again, I did find Mario Galaxy rather meh, rather play Ratchet and Clank or the old Spyros any day.

I'll have to give it a rent when I manage to get my hands on enough spare cash for a PS3.

You're missing "absolute", i.e. a game everyone will want to buy and find enjoyable, I know a lot of gamers who have no interest in the MGS series, let alone the newest title. Yeah, if you're a fan of the series, an absolute must buy, but not really for anyone else.

18. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I found an online level where, because of the way some steps were set out, it was difficult to go up them as my poor sackboy couldn't decide on where to be on the 3 planes.

You are certainly not constrained much (only by the size of it) when designing your own level - the limit is your imagination, as you can create any shape you want, from a multitude of materials. I've yet to sit and go through the myriad of tutorials (I did a few on the beta) for designing levels and adding objects, but I've got a few ideas now. Just got to find the time!

19. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Ive watched my wife play a couple of levels, and whilst they appear initially simple, the design can be quite cunning. I think the art direction plus the amazing voice over adds real value to what would be a fairly regular game.

Remember in Portal, how the narrative and voices (cake anyone ?) added so much to what would have been a decent game to start with.. well LBP is just like that in my opinion.

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

agree with this, i've played it with 3 other friends, it's amazing, you have to play multiplayer, otherwise it's not fun