1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BBC to broadcast main channels live on web

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 19 Nov 2008.

1. evanbraakensiek

evanbraakensiek What's a Dremel?

Finally someone with sense.

I'm absolutely sick of people whining about having to pay the TV license. If you don't want to pay it then don't. You're not obliged to pay the TV license because you own a TV. It's actually quite simple. If you don't want to pay for it then don't watch the BBC.

But, as we all know you won't actually do that because the BBC is actually quite good. And, just to put things into perspective: we apparently spend 218 minutes a day watching TV. If we paid the BBC minimum wage for the hours we spend watching TV you'd find you actually get quite a good deal.

£139.50 for the television license. £5.73 for minimum wage. (139.50 / 5.73 = 24.34 hours). If you got what you were actually paying for - I say with irony - you'd get TV for less than a week.

While you could argue you don't spend all that time watching the BBC - which would be the case for most people - Channel 4 is almost certain to get a chunk of the license fee in the near future, and you've to compensate for all of the time you spend using the BBC web services and radio.

Go whine about something actually 'decent' like council tax.

I personally wouldn't mind if the BBC started using advertisements at the start of their programming on the iPLAYER. Perhaps, a small ten second video like the Guardian does on its videos. It would more than pay for itself.

2. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Poor *******s, while i can understand the value and how the bbc creates such good shows since they have the funds i really dislike the idea of being forced to pay for it imo

Im personally glad we don't have a fee here because i never watch our public stations and i haven't listened to a radio more than 3 times in the past 5 years etc either only time i have was when we lost power and the cricket was on!

Honestly if i moved to the uk for any length of time (plan on spending a year there in 5 years or so) i'd simply not own a tv, i'd watch what i wanted by downloading it off the web really hell i do that now for the most part and the tv is free hahaha!

The fee is just too much if it was half what it currently was then maybe but damn paying that much!

3. Xir

Xir Modder

You want a rant?

Actually, in Germany, we do.
    Having acces to (not even owning) a device capable of receiving tv makes you obliged to pay.
    172 pound...204 euros per year.
    Wether you use it or if it's in the cellar under a rug doesn't matter.

You live together with your girlfriend? well than you pay double!

Devices receiving tv per IP (computers, mobile phones) count as radios and are slightly reduced.
    Is your phone WAP capable? but you don't have a contract to use it? doesn't matter, you're obliged to pay anyway.

grmmbl.

Xir

4. weasal

weasal What's a Dremel?

It's actually the same here too. The TV Licence is not to just to watch BBC but to operate any equipment capable of receiving broadcast television service as live. The Government control the licence and they are the ones who decide how much, who has to pay and where the revenue goes. The revenue does not just go to the BBC, Channel 4 also received funding from the TV Licence. Additionally the Govt also supports other public broadcasting services from general taxation (e.g. Gaelic or International BBC output like the World Service). The BBC also operates as a commercial business internationally through BBC Worldwide.

In terms of who needs a TV licence: you don't need a TV licence to own a TV, VCR, DVD Player, Mobile phone or computer provided you do not receive broadcast television services - you can use your TV to watch films/play games and avoid the licence by not tuning it or plugging in an aerial/satellite dish. You don't need a TV licence to use catch services like iPlayer and its equivalents. However, you do require one to watch these new streams as they are classed as broadcast television services.

So if you don't watch these streams, you don't need a TV licence.

Tags: Add Tags