1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Good restaurants in Leeds...

Discussion in 'General' started by sotu1, 20 Nov 2008.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

It's date time again! This time I'm up in leeds with a rather lovely young lady and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions where we might go? This is a first date, so good impressions are a must! Having said that, we are both a bit strapped for cash...so any suggestions? I have a car so transport isn't too much of an issue.

I've tried Olive Tree/Branch, whatever it's called and that was great, although I didn't really figure it for romatic-type dining. Any other thoughts anyone?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Being in the US, I can't reply but no replies from the UK bunch might have me worrying.
    john

3. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

Cheap
    Viva Cuba cheap but good Cuban tapas styley (on kirkstall rd nr the a cinema complex, looks like a dive but has great food)
    Norman 1st proper bar in Leeds opened by some sudents "way back when", bit trendy (Asain, its a bar mainly but food is great)
    BRB opposite Norman (Wood fired pizza, again its a bar but the pizza is awesome)
    The are nr BRB and Norman is called The Calls (after the streets nr it) and the area (nr the Corn Exchange) has a load of bars and a few restaurants that do decent enough food.

Not as cheap
    Loch Fyne is nice (sea food, in the city square)
    Casa Mia is awesome (Italain, its a Leeds institution, 3 around the city, one in the centre in the Electric Press building on Millennium Square)
    Tampopo is a fave of mine (oriental, think wagmamas but better, in the centre to)
    Akbars: The Grand can't come up north with out having a curry (Indian, this used to be the old Bibi's, and is a chain that started in Bradford, awesome curry, giant naans, sweet.)

Blow the budget
    Anthonys one of the best in the city (modern, it used to be a bar owned by Vinney Jones, now its great, possibly pretentious, but amazing)
    Bibi awesome, expensive, but its an experience (Italian, lavishly decorated art deco restaurant)

Plenty more to pick depending on cuisine any questions let me know!! :thumb:

oh and wash it all down in the place i blew my student loans and the officially the best bar in the Kingdom, North.

4. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Teppin yaki (I have no idea how to actually spell that...) It's really good. They cook your food in front of you. Great fun with a good group of people.

For music, head to Mojo. It's just down the road.
    http://www.mojobar.co.uk/

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

wonderful, thanks guys, especially you Big D! Hopefully tonight will go off well! wish me luck! X

6. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

+1

great cocktails! i can't believe they've got bars in Manchester and Liverpool now!? didn't there just used to the Leeds one and one in Bermuda?

edit: Barbados, sorry, its still there!

Last edited: 21 Nov 2008
  7. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

to qoute Moss from the IT Crowd
    I went to a good place recently. Nice atmosphere. Food's great.
    It's called Messyjoes.. (Messy Joe's)

8. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

What sorta food are you after? There's plenty of nice restaurants in leeds which cater for loads of tastes.

Few of our favorites:
    - LiveBait (fish restaurant)
    - Waterfront - AWSOME steaks
    (both on/near Calls)
    - las-iguanas (*sp) mexian, but really good food. Not overly expensive and you could get stuff to share (romatic mebbe?)
    - Aagra's (sp) couple in leeds, but both to really good indian food. There's one down at Clarance dock which is tapas style. Little expensive but food is AMAZING and they're really friendly in there too.

There's a couple of spanish places which are pretty nice around Greek street too, not overly expensive.

All depends on your taste. I'd say Las Iguanas is a pretty decent shot, not overpriced (should get a meal + drinks for 2 for 50 quid) nice atmosphere and cheap cocktails before 7.30 :p

9. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

I would have to agree with Tampopo, went there last time i was in Leeds and it was really nice.