1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development What have you been coding?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Agamer, 16 Nov 2008.

1. Agamer

Agamer Minimodder

So a question which could turn into a cool topic,

What have you been coding?

Throw in some details about your own projects, languages maybe even a screenshot!

2. 123mccann

123mccann What's a Dremel?

I don't know if this counts as coding, but I am currently creating my first website using HTML and CSS (Learning them in the process) which is to be used for my YE company. :D
    I would post a screen shot but, I really despise the design. But, I cannot change it as the group decides how the site shoud look. :(
    Although, I hope to start learning some C in the near future.

3. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

Just started reading the C programming, thinking of doing a bit of python over summer as well

4. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

I've been designing a tool to win the Wikipedia Game, but I don't have code written yet. I'm still kinda debating language choice, too - I know C++, but want to learn more about Ruby or Python... I dunno.

5. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

wrote an app that runs as a service and monitors any number of instances of a given process, if they go over x% average cpu in y seconds then it kills the process and sends me an email
    having some trouble with one of the webservers at work locking up :p
    in the process learnt c# :D

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Nov 2008
  6. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

7. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

I've been doing a lot of graphics programming/research. For school I usually use c++/Opengl/Cg but for personal projects I usually use c#/XNA/HLSL. Some of the projects I've worked on are: terrain rendering, reflection and refraction, shadows, water, atmospheric scattering, impostor rendering, post processing, and volume rendering.

Non graphics related programming, I implemented my own malloc implementation and a java compiler last year in school.

Couple of videos:

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Do Excel functions count :)
    =IF(E4<C4,IF(C4-E4<Lookup!$E$2,C4-E4,"error"),E4-C4)
    =IF(F4<Lookup!$B$2,"< 15 mins",IF(F4<Lookup!$B$3,"15 to 30 mins",IF(F4<Lookup!$B$4,"30 to 45 mins",IF(F4<Lookup!$B$5,"45 mins to 1 hour",IF(F4<Lookup!$B$6,"1 to 3 hours",IF(F4<Lookup!$B$7,"3 to 6 hours",IF(F4<Lookup!$B$8,"6 to 12 hours","over 12 hours")))))))

9. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Made a little game to teach 2 year olds how to use a mouse a couple of weeks ago, if that counts :confused:

10. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

LOL that remains me of the mouse tutorial in Windows 3.1! :hehe:

11. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Nothing worth talking about :(

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Well I haven't done anything of note recently apart from much around with a few the games I've already made. I should probably get back into programming a bit more.

What I really want to do is move from Blitz3D which is pretty high level (Window/3D graphics initiation = "Graphics3D 1024,768,0,1") to C++/OpenGl. I've actually got most of the framework for C++ pinned (objects, classes, vectors etc) I just need to figure out all that tedious graphical library stuff. Have to say I love the stuff I've seen so far though.

EDIT: Well, here's a screenie. It's the only 'full' game I've ever done although I didn't really plan it so it's not really any good from a design or coding perspective. (Blitz3D/Basic)

[​IMG]

Last edited: 17 Nov 2008
  13. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Ugh, what fun. I wish I could use a language with ANY sort of proper syntax in excel. I always end up just exporting to CSV and then using fgetcsv :D

As for me... what I'll call a CMS done right. PHP/MySQL, stored procs and prepared statements instead of unmaintainable inline crap, MVC design, automagic image watermarking, awesome caching, replication-friendly, all that good stuff. Thanks to some awesome help from Will., I've actually got something usable for the authoring interface now. No screenies for a while though, but it looks good :D

One line does all of the heavy lifting (check if it's cached, grab from the cache or db as necessary, save the cache if it hadn't been accessed yet, split the body into pages, etc., etc.):
    PHP:
    <?php $content Content::getAsArray($permalink$version); ?>
    Gotta rig up a little more AJAX but most of the hard stuff is done.

14. koola

koola Minimodder

At work I've been writing/optimising various algorithms such as WRR etc... for use on network load balancing net appliances.

My personal projects include an Eve Online OCR DLL that uses ANN, partly for fun and the challenge.

I'm also writing SOAP daemons for an upcoming price comparison website, but that's a secret for now. :D

15. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I do a lot of processing programming for my work - building motion graphics videos that build themselves based on user input.

I'm working on my own multi-touch projection screen 9' wide - the ass end will be done almost entirely with processing.

16. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Been writing up full websites with admin backend in ColdFusion and then styling everything out (in CSS of course). Includes quite a bit of JS scripting and screwing with divs for the layout. Fun stuff.

Just finished this one, still in QA: http://75.119.144.55/index.cfm

The advanced functionality for it (MLS listings, etc) has to be added still, but they wanted me to make the basic website first, i.e. putting simple content, news items, new main page picture, etc. (that's why most of the links don't really do anything)

17. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Damn, thats some sweet excelling! ;)

http://orbit.sweeto.co.uk/orbit/testHtml.htm

and

http://www.sweeto.co.uk/playPong.php

are my 2 most recent projects. Pong clone was made for my portfoilio and had to be rushed a bit. Orbits sim isnt finished yet but is for a uni project. Both written in Java.

Also my website, http://www.sweeto.co.uk/ has been developed alot this past month. Written with CSS, HTML, JS and PHP.

18. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

yoda could you have not used a lookup on a named list for that second statement or perhaps combined an offset?

i myself have been programming for the first time using Nhibernate which is confusing.

also im currently looking for a small touch screen monitor for another project i'm working on at home

19. koola

koola Minimodder

That's really nice, although when hovering over the tabs for the first time, the roll-over flickers when loading the background image. Just use some JS to preload the images, it's the little things that make all the difference.

Other than that, I know who to turn to for WebUI ;)

20. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Thanks, hadn't noticed the flickering, will look into it :)