1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Only 20 percent of games make a profit

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Nov 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

L4D, Audio surf, CoD4, Lego Indy, The orange box. I think those all made profit.... Though maybe not Indy.

3. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

'Significant profit' That means something worth boasting about, i'm sure others make a profit, but obviously nothing special, if a game you can release can cover your programmers / developers pay checks i'd be pretty happy, the mega profit hyst helps your company to expand, and maybe give out some bonus's

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Last 5 ?
    GTA4 (don't know, it's not released yet), L4D (worth the cost), Fallout 3 (worth the cost), Far Cry 2 (not worth the cost), Crysis & Crysis:Warhead (don't know, it's 50/50).

5. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

last 5 for me would be wow:wotlk(pc), dead space (pc), sc4(x360), gta4(x360), cod4(pc). Think all of those count as successful games...maybe i am just too mainstream :D
    I think all were kinda worth it, tho the xbox games less so due to the increased cost

6. chiper136

chiper136 What's a Dremel?

I think rockstar has made a little profit of it already...i know us console owners cower under the pc might but we do have some small change to buy games with :p

7. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

LMAO!!! That pie chart is the funniest thing I've seen all day!

Last five games, Fallout 3 (well worth it), FarCry 2 (hmmm), Crysis:Warhead (Good for £20), Audiosurf (Best value ever!), Mass Effect (well worth it!)

8. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

last five games, um.....
    left 4 dead (tenner. yes, worth it)
    gears of war 2 (so far it's awesome)
    littlebigplanet (yes!)
    fable 2 (oh yes)
    fallout 3 (i haven't started playing this one yet...)

9. ginbong

ginbong What's a Dremel?

GRID and Warhead (Worth it), Far Cry 2 CE (Not really worth it, haven't finished yet), Fallout 3 CE (Worth it though haven't finished yet), COD: World at War CE (Can't comment, no time to even install and play xD)

10. ginbong

ginbong What's a Dremel?

All my games are for PC btw sorry

11. Loot3r

Loot3r What's a Dremel?

no wonder we sit with so many dying titles that get no support and a half finished game!

12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Where???

13. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Last 5 games I bought?

L4D - would be worth every penny if my ****ing modem wouldn't die every 5 minutes so I could actually play online how it's supposed to be played[/rant]
    A Kingdom for Keflings - Really enjoy it, not a whole lot of replayability though
    Fallout 3 - Definitely worth it, great game
    Fable II - I like it, but it is just Fable 1 how it should have been made, little bit boring but I'm glad I bought it

Not sure what I bought after that, I guess it was Force Unleashed, got it off the bay, meh, would rather have that £30 for something else looking back on it.

Unfortunately we all know that the ones that make a decent amount of profit are all the shitty franchise cash ins.

14. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

hmm, last 5:

Kingdom for Kelfings (addictive, but not much to go back to once you've finished it) - should have been about 400 MS point and not 800.
    Gears of War 2 (Multi-player is awesome)
    Soul Calibur 4 (still trying to get into this)
    Lost Odysey (I'm at the beginning of the last disk - enjoyed it so far)
    Burnout Paradise (Multi-player is fun, however I found the single player (in order to unlock some Licenses/cars) a bit of a chore).

15. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

I'm sure there are some great rpg games out there but thats not my bag so I stick to fps main series:
    tomb raider
    halflife
    cod
    moh
    crysis
    far cry
    fear
    anything else I won't waste my money on although I plan to check out fallout in the near future.
    right now I have cod waw,far cry2 and tomb raider underworld loaded a great way to get thru the
    winter.

16. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Yup it's true because 20% of the game released are worth buying. The other 80% are pure crap. Maybe it was the pirates stealing parts of the 80%. First ships, then games and now %. Those pesky pirates!!!!! Making better games = better profit. GTA4 made a 400mil dollar profit hmm what could their secret be??? Oh yeah Rockstar makes good games geezzz never would of figured :thumb:

One thing i've noticed a chunk of the profit making companies have street credit. Valve, Rockstar, Bungie, Westwood (now EA Westwood), 3DRealms (which puzzles me), Bethesda Game Studios etc

Last edited: 25 Nov 2008
  17. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

God of War 2
    Persona 3 FES
    Left4Dead
    World of Goo
    Painkiller Gold Edition

I don't know how many of those turned a considerable profit, I know God of War 2 is platinum, and Left4Dead is very successful. World of Goo probably has made quite a bit considering how small the studio is, but Persona 3 FES is a bit of a niche product, they only do limited prints of it in the PAL region, though I suspect it does well in Japan.
    And Painkiller... that Yahtzee review probably sold more of it over steam than it had previously haha.

18. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

Left 4 Dead - 60$: Honestly, Left 4 Dead is great fun if you manage to round up a few friends but really it's only multi-player and the campaigns are all kind of repetitive after a while. Probably not worth the full 60$ asking price.

Fallout 3 - 60$: Huge, sprawling, gigantic, massive world with ludicrous amounts of replayability. Definitely worth it.

Fable 2 - 60$: Not nearly as sprawling as Fallout 3 but still pretty expansive by most RPG's standards. Pretty good game, just a shame that the advertised multi-player (a big reason I was so excited for the game) ended up being so terrible and the storyline kept flipping from really good to completely terrible. In the end worth the 60$ but had I known what was actually in the box I would've been less excited about spending it.

Forza 2 (used) - 10$: Decent racing game, worth the 10$, if I had bought it used I think it would've been worth the 30$ price they ask for it nowadays.

Castle Crashers - 10$ish: Another fun multiplayer game, worth the slightly higher than average XBL asking price.

19. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

The truth of the matter is simple, with 99% of games released being either shite or direct copies of others, then 20% making a significant profit is a pretty good stat tbh.

The vast majority of people only buy a few games a year, and when those cost £30 a pop you choose wisely.

20. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Hitting retail really works against them in this day and age. By the time they hit the shelves at WalMart, you've had about six different parties take 50% of the remaining markup, leaving a couple bucks for the actual development firm. Download-based distribution reclaims most of that - even if you only reach 20% of the original audience, the vastly improved profit margins would probably still put you ahead.

Tags: Add Tags