1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Warhound delayed by Call of Juarez developer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Nov 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. ChEsTeH

ChEsTeH What's a Dremel?

I love the way developers always blame the PS3 architecture - It isnt as if developers have not had enough time to compensate for this. Sounds like those guys need to get on a course or two.

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I actually found my self enjoying Juarez but i'd never even heard of these two games. I wish devs wouldn't hold up whole products for the sake of one platform especially the ps3 since we all know what a bugger it is to code for.

You know if half the devs in the business complain about some thing it probably is hard and tbh the sales volumes of the ps3 make it seem barely worth it.

4. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

sales of 360 games generally always out sell PS3. i think fifa was an exception

yeh if they say its harder to develope for who are we to argue

5. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Because the simple fact is, that they are not the only developers blaming the PS3 architecture. They are number xx something in the line of complaining devs.

6. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Good to hear Techland are working on some new stuff, I loved Call of Juarez. I'm actually playing through it again right now. It is a shame one console is holding back the pc version though :rolleyes:

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

This is actually the first time I'm even hearing about Warhound - But if it's anything like what they say it's going to be, I might have to get a raging hard on for it.

As for people complaining that the PS3 is hard to work with, and everyone (Who, might I add, are not developing on the PS3 platform, as far as we can tell) says "Yeah yeah, ********, it can't be that hard". I think you'd have just as hard a time working it out as anyone else who is new to the platform - Just understanding and utlising the CBEA properly is a hard task, let alone building a non-buggy game on it.

Think it's so easy? Go give it a shot. I'd love to see the results.

8. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

+1

alot of developers have been really pointing this out, even before the PS3 was out, if it were only 1 dev complaining, we could say those devs suck, but if alot of devs are complaining, then it has to be something else

9. ChEsTeH

ChEsTeH What's a Dremel?

I am in not doubt that this technology is difficult to code for - thats not the point i`m trying to make....

My point is this technology has been available for around 3 years now and we are still hearing the same old excuses - you would have thought that they have had enough time to learn to code for this platform by now....Evidently not.

It`s not as if this platform cannot be coded for is it ... plenty of decent games testify to this already, it`s just that it is getting quite tiresome having the same old excuses cropping up all of time.

Default excuse No:1 It`s too hard to code for. yeah ok......

10. raGe82

raGe82 What's a Dremel?

I only wonder - why they're going to postpone release date for PC if they have a problem with Chrome engine working on PS3? No 'console' games were delayed if there were some issues with PC version - Mirrors Edge for PS3 and XO wasn't delayed by adding PhysX support to PC version... Curious...

11. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

this is only true in the USA, in the EU is the other way around minus a few games.

12. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Gee, I can think of two other consoles that were "hard" to code for (Playstation and Playstation 2), but there were never this many problems getting games out on time for those consoles.

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

The point that developers are making isn't that it is impossible to code for, just that it is harder to code for compared to PC and Xbox 360, doubly so when you are doing a multiplatform release because the PS3 requires special considerations that aren't needed for the other platforms. This increased difficulty often causes delays for what would appear to be a neglible gain.

The Chrome engine already works on PC. It always has. It was made for a PC. Porting PC code to a Xbox 360 is easy, scaling things down for a Wii is easy. It's only re-coding your engine to suit a Cell architecture that's hard.

14. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

True but in those cases they were the market leader/only game in town. In this case Sony are pretty much an also ran.

15. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Cell must be the only PowerPC chip ever to be harder to code for than an Intel.

Right away, it's not farfetched that IBM and Sony must have made some drastic changes to the PowerPC design to unlock never-before-seen functionality of some form. It's also obvious that only Sony Computer Entertainment, with fundamentally unlimited funding, could manifest those capabilities.

Tags: Add Tags