1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Which 24" Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by relix, 19 Oct 2008.

1. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry but too many people on here are being too stuck about TN panels. If 95% of what you do is simply coding, web surfing etc then you really don't need an overly expensive monitor.

It's just be a waste. You only need to go the distance if your really into your hd movies...games...image manipulation / design and crave the best visual quality you can get.

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i'm pretty happy with my benq fp241w. paid $500cdn.

@rich - i would have agreed with you last year when i had a TN. now i have a PVA and know the difference. it's huge, no matter what you are doing.

3. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

LOVE my IPS panel... but it's costly. Around $1200-1400 in North America, and around £2500-3500 in Eurupe. Odd how we get that stuff cheaper, yet nailed in the ass for cell service and TV service.

cpemma likes this.
  4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Holy crap. Even considering that I only want more displays for more code windows I'd still like to have a decent display (but no idea what the difference is between the 50 different types, except that TN is supposed to suck for whatever reason)... I find that price very impressive. I hope that it buys you a lapdance every now and then for that price.

5. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Close enough. :)
    26", aRGB, colourimeter (calibration device), 1920x1200. HDCP compliant too. Oh, and I can change not only the colour, but also the brightness of the power LED on the front, so it's less distracting. :)

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Worth it just for that.

7. relix

relix Minimodder

Prices of monitors are dropping faster than Iceland's Krona. BenQ's FP241W just got in reach of my budget at €380! I guess it's pretty much a no-brainer now, isn't it? I just wish it's design was a tad more ... inspired.

Supposedly prices will keep dropping and will be at their lowest point around thanksgiving (in the US, at least), so I'm just going to wait a bit more. No longer though, because manufacturers are already responding by lowering production, so afterwards their prices will probably go up again.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2008
  8. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

it's design is exactly how a monitor should be. sturdy enough that the monitor doesn't shake when you bump your desk, and nothing to distract you from the picture on the screen. i think it looks really clean.

9. StooJ

StooJ What's a Dremel?

I've recently moved to Australia and have been searching for a BenQ FP241W but having no luck. Have they been replaced with a newer model?

Last edited: 29 Nov 2008
  10. dark4181

dark4181 Ero-sennin-tebayo

You guys must get new products overseas with a delay... the Dell 2409 is out here now. It's pretty sweet.. I'm considering it also

11. eeevan

eeevan Dremel Master

now is not a good time to buy a monitor, trust me.

wait.

12. customh

customh conflagration.

I am really happy with my 2408wfp, and have my laptop as a second monitor which is also 1920x1200 but 15.4". I don't find myself using it a lot, but to watch a movie or tv show while I am doing something else. I think one 24" is enough, but as I think about it could maybe use 2 sometimes.

13. StooJ

StooJ What's a Dremel?

Is it going to get better any time soon?

Don't actually have a monitor at the moment so I'll need to find something, but I suppose I could settle for a 17" or something if monitor prices are going to bounce back down again in 2 months. If it's going to take 2 years, then I'd rather invest the money just now than struggle with little screens.

Finding monitors in Oz seems to be very difficult, and I cannot seem to source a FP241W anywhere at the moment. The newer BenQs that are available all seem to be TN screens, which I'd rather avoid.

The Dell 2408WFP is available but will probably be $300 cheaper the day after I buy it. :(

14. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Gotta agree with this.

I'm still using a 2405 and tbh, it's still brilliant and I've no plans to upgrade it. You'll be delighted with the 2408.

15. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

How about the HP LP2475W? It's got one of the new H-IPS panels and pricewise two of them should only slightly exceed your price range.

There's a great review of the monitor here, although it's in German.

Tags: