1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Converting to Variable Speed Fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CanadaPhil, 30 Nov 2008.

1. CanadaPhil

CanadaPhil What's a Dremel?

Hello All,
    I've recently assembled my latest computer and am not totally satisfied with my new CPU cooler/fan. Included in the box is a manually adjusted fan speed controller. I do not think a manual fan control is a good idea for a CPU cooler so I'd like to convert the fan from a 3 pin to a 4 pin connector. Can anybody help me understand how I can do this with the cooler as shown below?
    Thanks,
    Phil

Zerotherm NV120

2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

You've gotta change the fan completely. The fourth pin is for PWM, which needs circuitry on the fan.

If you don't want to swap the fan, take a look at SpeedFan. It has the ability to change fan speeds automatically according to temperatures. However, not all motherboards support fan speed changing so you just gotta hope your mobo supports. :)

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

what's your motherboard?

my Abit iP35 Pro have excellent fan controller in the BIOS, so no need for third party programs.

4. Annihlator

Annihlator What's a Dremel?

alot of motherboards have a setting for this in the bios even. usually it's named like "cool 'n quiet" or "silent coolness" (yes, ive actually seen the latter haha).

5. CanadaPhil

My motherboard is a P5Q Deluxe with Q-Fan Control. The connector on the board is a 4 pin connector that will accept a 3 pin as well. With Q-Fan enabled, the fan rpm never changes despite the chip running at 26'C. I'm thinking it needs a 4-pin connection to work properly.
    Any thoughts?
    Phil

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Should work fine with either providing you've plugged the fan into the right header. What RPM is it running at at 26°C?

7. Annihlator

Annihlator What's a Dremel?

Ehm, try to update your bios, it's an issue asus has had multiple times now.
    some motherboards would not utilize q-fan without a PWM fan, or if you didnt set a temperature.

8. CanadaPhil

The fan is connected to the correct header. The fan always runs at full rpm, (2800).
    What temperature is normal for a CPU? What is the upper limit?
    Thanks,
    Phil

Last edited: 30 Nov 2008
  9. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

@CanadaPhil: If you decide to try the PWM fan route, I can recommend the 120mm Scythe Kama, currently running at 270RPM on my sink.

10. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Under 60C is good. If you haven't OC'd you might be able to keep it under 50C for a quad or 40C for a dual, still silent.