1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Where Can I get Templates to cut stuff into my cases?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Drachnem, 29 Nov 2008.

1. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

I bought a TJ-07 off a buddy on here a while back, and I want to cut it up, however I want to make sure I have a good grasp on using my dremel :dremel: since I haven't used it all that much. I'm looking to get some templates that I can use to practice cutting on some crap cases before I go mad scientist on my TJ-07

I did a search but couldn't dig anything up, could you guys help me out?? ohh let me show you my first attempt at cutting a design, which I cut from the wrong side!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dan-ere-07

dan-ere-07 What's a Dremel?

you didnt cut it from the wrong side, it doesnt realy matter. just use a file to smooth of edges and it will look great. if you cut it from the front and slip ull have to sand and paint the whole panle again, but if you do it from the back yo wont do and visible damage. nice work

and as for templates just look for images on google, print them out and stick them on

3. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

I've been looking around I might try some words and an image. I'd like to do something that can be integrated with cooling and lights.

What kind of tools should I buy to go along with the dremel? I have my bits and what not but I'm not sure what else I should be using ><

ALSO! what are the best type/brand of discs to be using to cut the sheet metal of cases?

4. dan-ere-07

well you will realy need a good file (quite rough) and a set of needle files for small detail work. a palm sander if you want to paint ur case (to remove old paint) and sand paper with a sanding block. its all i realy use.

as for discs re-enforced cutting discs are the best. them red things you get with the dremel snap easily cutting metal
    EDIT -
    the official dremel quick chuck ones are very good, they last the longest out of all the discs ive used. but they do cost quite a lot.
    i cut a whole side panel with one disc (quite a lot of deatail in the cut.) but you can pick up a cheap set with a lot of stuff in it including about 10 discs for less than 2-3 quick relese ones do. it works out they last longer

Last edited: 29 Nov 2008
  5. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

Mine didn't snap but they wear down quick. (went thought 6 cutting this project)

6. dan-ere-07

7. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

OH nice I like that :clap:

8. dan-ere-07

thanks
    btw circles are the hardest thing to cut and make look right

9. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Careful cutting, you can't get replacement side panels for a the tj-07 because each case is a bit different due to the manufacturing process. Best of luck, will look forward to seeing how this turns out.

10. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

Oh the pressure is on now :(

I'll prob. put up a sketch of what I'm looking to do then get tips on it before i kill it haha. I have a whole mess of crap cases to play with! :dremel:

Tags: