1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Fallout 3 is Hard!!!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by culley, 29 Nov 2008.

1. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

I've been playing Fallout 3 and its one of the best RPG's i've played there seems like there is so much to discover but god damn its hard, no matter what i keep dying.

I can't seem to get the hang of the combat system and when there's like 4 raiders trying to kill me, im screwed i've got no chance against them.

Anyone else finding this game difficult anyone willing to give me some tips please.

2. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Really? I'm playing it on Very Hard and still rarely die in combat (that said, Fawkes has been covering my ass).

Spend your money on stimpacks, take lots of drugs before a big fight, use vats to shoot guns from people's hands, keep your weapons and armour repaired, make use of cover to hide whilst reloading, use appropriate weapons for the situation (eg shotgun is useless at long range), try to cripple the legs of melee attackers like radioscorps and mirelurks so they can't catch you.

Anything else?

3. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Dont run into combat if you can avoid it untill you have better weapons like the alien blaster or the plasma rifle.

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Against ranged attackers you have to use cover a lot, and go for headshots. I find the single shot rifles to be best.

5. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

I use the plasma rifle I got from the android for pretty much everything.

6. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Plasma rifle is good, also the laser rifle is decent because it doesn't take a bunch of AP. Also make sure your weapon stats are all the way up, if they're not then either assign your next level up points to the skill you use to most or start hunting books to increase your skill.

7. pistol_pete

I thought the laser rifle was a bit underpowered? The plasma does more damage with the same ammo.

That applies to a few weapon types, the Chinese assult rifle does more damage than the normal one - though it's harder to find for when you need repairs.

8. naokaji

naokaji whatever

VATS, use it, live it, love it.

Seriously though, use vats if you are having trouble, it makes combat much easier.

9. Annihlator

Annihlator What's a Dremel?

and focus your skillpoints, ive seen tons of friends fail at fallout3 because they raise all skills they can and only hit the 10% xp perk tons of times (really, drop that perk... as you can always get 10% exp in the long run but cant gain the other things a perk can give)

10. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

how do you sell your stuff to maria? she says she will buy what you have but how do you actually sell it?

have to admit glowing ghouls are sooo annoying and hard to kill!

11. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

the list with your equipment and her equipment should come up. click on what you want to sell, then click ok.
    make sure she has enough caps to cover your equipment.

12. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I did not pick up any companions or a plasma rifle until about 40 hours into the game i have not found the combat difficult on normal difficulty setting. I dont use any drugs except stimpaks and rad away either. Small guns along with the Chinese assault rifle and shot gun are your friend and i always aim for the head. Energy weapons are pretty rubbish except for the alien blaster and plasma rifle. The laser rifle is weak but reasonably accurate but the assault rifle is better imo.

13. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Always pick up weapons where you can and cannibalise them to keep your weapons in tip-top condition. Same goes for armour (although keeping power armour is difficult if you're wearing BoS armour).

14. pistol_pete

What?! Drugs are good, m'kay?

Med-X +25% damage resistance
    Phsyco +25% damage to others

And if you get addicted, just find a doctor to sort you out for 50 caps. Bargain!

15. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

I've taken advice from everyone above and i think i've got the hang of fighting now.

It's pretty stupid though i was the D.C capital to goto the Museum of Technology and there's loads of spuper mutants and raiders and there's no chance you can kill anyone of them there all shooting at you at the same time and you get killed almost instantlly its stupid.

What happens if you get addicted i've noticed i have a couple of times nothing seems to come of it though?

16. pistol_pete

If you're addicted and the drug rans out you get withdraw symptoms - skills such as science, perception lose points, so it's best to go to a doctor and get cured - or more druqs.

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah if you check one of the pages on the status screen it shows you any buffs or debuffs you have and where from. Any withdraw effects will be here.

18. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

I think the game was pretty well balanced, now I just dominate everything whenever I roam the Wastelands.

Though they do make it harder when you level up. I've noticed a lot more instances of myself running into Enclave camp in the middle of nowhere. Usually they have a few baddies and a LARGE thing with them. I won't say because it may be a spoiler.

But Raiders are no problem, I just walk up to them, with my Lincoln's Repeater and it's one shot kills most of the time.

You'll get the hang of it and soon enough wandering the wastelands like it was nothing.

Maybe a spoiler
    Does anyone think the giant radscorpions are the most annoying creatures to run into? They just absorb bullets and they're EVERYWHERE. Not to mention most of the time they come in pairs and if I get stung 4 times I'm almost dead. Am I the only one that hates these things with a passion?

If you need help finding locations, what to do for a quest, finding the bobbleheads, and finding special weapons, check out this website. It has helped me a lot finding the special things and hunting down valuable loot. :D

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Wiki

Edit: Oh btw, something funny I did. I was talking with my friend over Xbox Live, he was asking me of good spots to go to. I told him of this small colony located in Old Olney. He was only a level 4 when he went there. :p

He wasn't too happy the next day I talked to him, lol

19. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

The trick here is not to dive straight into the main story arc too soon. Hang around Megaton and do a few missions around there to get your level up a bit before you run off into the city.

20. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Oh man I had one nasty encounter against those guys. I was walking along, "Holy **** there's 2 of them!" I started back-pedalling while shooting, then another came, then another, and another. In the end there were like 6 or so of them chasing me, so I had to get out the fat man and nearly blew myself to pieces with it.